Is this considered a binge eating disorder?

Options
So today when I got home from school, I was feeling really peckish. In the morning I had my normal breakfast (organic toast and butter) and my normal lunch at school (avacado tomato salad, couscous salad and strawberries). My friend also offered me some chips, which I only had about 10 of. It was just a normal day. But then when I got home for some reason I felt like eating a lot, and I ate a slice of lemon loaf, a small cup of granola, carrots and hummus, a couple mini cookies, 8 almonds, and about 6 organic crackers. Is this a binge? I have these days like once every couple of weeks...idk if it's just eating a bit more than usual or like an actual disorder

Replies

• slowbutsure2
    Options
    If your at school its normal. I have 5 children and they all do the same. Don't worry about it, but don't over do it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    First off school? How old are you?

And to be blunt- no, not even close.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Nibbling or 'munching', which is what it sounds like you did, is not binge eating disorder.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    not even close to a binge . but maybe you wanna plan an extra meal in your after noon so you don't feel like its an emergency to eat now!!! .. btw i think every teen does that . good job on keeping your snack choices healthy !
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more protein. It would feel you up longer and keep you from needing so many snacks.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is binge eating disorder.

Although no one is qualified to made that diagnosis for you on way or the other over the internet.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    that's a pretty controlled binge, Wish I binged that way. I wouldn't worry too much about it you made good choices. For me it's not a binge unless I hate myself afterwards :wink:

On a sidenote, anyone remember the movie clueless? That's what I thought of when I read this lol. Nothing negative to the OP or anything, just made me think of the movie when she labeled off what she had eaten lol.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Although no one is qualified to made that diagnosis for you on way or the other over the internet.
    Uh no. That's not even close to a binge.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How do you figure that? Which of thecriteria does it meet, given the information in the post?

Was it more than what most people would eat in a similar period of time? Did she experience a lack of control? Did she eat especially rapidly? Did she feel uncomfortably full? Does she have marked distress?

We don't know, so saying it is binge eating disorder seems premature.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm going to say no too. I wonder how old the OP is. Looks like she's twenty. Maybe she just needs to up her protein.
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    These are the criteria that classify B.E.D, per the DSM-V (2013):

Criteria include frequent overeating—at least once a week for three months— combined with lack of control, marked feelings of distress, and are associated with three or more of the following:
    eating much more rapidly than normal
    eating until feeling uncomfortably full
    eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry
    eating alone because of feeling embarrassed by how much one is eating
    feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty afterward

Having a lack of self-control in a single instance (or sporadically) does not an eating disorder make. If you are feeling guilt or binge eating frequently, hiding food trash or your eating habits, etc., then you need to seek help from a medical professional. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you're fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

I'm going to say no too. I wonder how old the OP is. Looks like she's twenty. Maybe she just needs to up her protein.

Looks about 15 to me!
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The best way to tell, would be to log it all and then see what it all adds up to. I would say, and I am by all means no expert, if you didn't go over what maintenance would be for you, I'd call it a cheat day and move on. Even if you busted that, it's just one day. However, if you find yourself doing this on a regular basis, and your diary isn't open for review, then you need to take a good look at what you are doing and what you think might be causing it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eating to excess, not even close.

Counting your chips, nuts, crackers, etc. before consumption in my opinion = controlled and moderated eating.

I count my chips, nuts, crackers, etc. and if this is considered insanely or unwisely eating I need to know..

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd agree, not BED.

That being said, what is your calorie goal? How many calories are you eating?
    If you're eating low calories, it could be your body's natural response telling you that it's not getting enough.

Or, it could just be a case of the munchies.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    No. I would say that was very normal.

I have BED and fot myself and others sufferers I have met, a binge is more like 4-7 days worth of calories eaten in one day. Usually followed by a panicked 2 days of severe restriction or fasting. Then another giant binge.

As an example, my last binge session 13 weeks ago was around 9000 calories and I was on the verge of calling an ambulance.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This last week I kept to the lower end of my calorie goal while upping my exercise (I started an exercise challenge, so I almost doubled my exercise!). Today I was feeling very sluggish and weak, so I decided to eat more than I usually do. I had a mid-day green smoothie and have been snacking on celery and peanut butter. Is this a binge? I don't think so. In fact, I'm pretty happy that I didn't cave and eat the brownie mix I have in the pantry! Sometimes the body needs a little bit of a boost. At least I do! Feel good about making wise snack choices, and move on.
    Good luck!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    2072_jackie_chan.gif