How in the heck does anyone manage sugar?

Options
I cannot manage to maintain sugar limits within my daily value. I eat a pescatarian diet and this includes a lot of fresh fruit and veggies which automatically puts me over my daily sugar limit. I am beginning to wonder if the daily limit is correct or not. Ideas anyone?

Replies

• Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    The thing about MFP is that it doesn't distinguish between added sugar and natural sugar in foods such as fruit (fructose) and dairy (lactose). I only count added sugar when calculating my daily sugar intake. I don't worry about natural sugar. The fiber in fruit helps to slow the absorption of sugar into your blood so your blood sugar doesn't spike the way it would if you had a glass of juice or a piece of candy. Same thing goes for dairy. Fat also slows down the absorption of sugar. I eat a ton of fresh fruit and fat free dairy and I've managed to lose 75 pounds and I don't have high blood sugar so I take that as proof I'm doing something right.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic there is no real need to monitor sugar
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. Unless you have a medical reason to need to track every gram of sugar there's no need. MFP's recommendations are, for some reason, set to the customary recommendation for *added* sugars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    MFP recommendation = American Heart Association's Recommendation for ADDED and REFINED sugar because people tend to drink 40oz big gulps and suck down highly processed foods laden with high fructose corn syrup. Just watch that **** and eat your fruit and veg and use some common sense. The obesity epidemic isn't being perpetuated by an apple a day that I am aware of.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i just switched it to show my potassium level instead. i think it's better this way.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Yep, but I will say that since my low carb days I crave food a lot less. And I wasn't diabetic so it may be worth cutting sugar for a bit for some people. Maybe, I dunno, I'm just a bod on the internet. ;)

I was probably insulin resistant or something.

These days I ignore pretty much everything apart from getting my protein in and maintaining the calorie gap.

Maybe it's the higher protein that is satisfying me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't have a medical condition that dictates that I do, so I don't.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream and donuts and ignore mine
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think fruit, veggie and dairy sugars are fine. I mostly worry about added sugar.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this too. I've seen/read about high fruit diets (google "fruity fluffy floaters") but I get mixed info when I look into high fruit diets and sugar. I know MFP numbers for sugar is not exactly relevant to those eating very minimal processed sugars, as the carbs not set for plant-based diets either. If anyone has an article or research ababout sugar and fruit being fine, I'd like to see it. I would like to up my fruit intake but I'm a little hesitant.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating a lot of prepared items that contain refined sugars you might want to reset MFP so it does not show you the sugar value.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I ditched my sugar tracker and changed it to cholesterol.
  • Hattie2513
    Hattie2513 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting.. I have always wondered about this too. I am conscious that its best to have high sugared fruit like bananas straight after a workout. I might start worrying about this less now... I do occasionally have breakfast bars which are probably a big no no. I don't have them weekly though..
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't. No need to.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    This, adding "prediabetic or hypoglycemic" to the pile of "unless." Sugar's a carb; don't glorify it with its own category unless it's medically necessary for you.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Wrong. Why wait until one has diabetes when it can be prevented? Yes, it can be prevented with lifestyle/diet. I did it. Not to mention all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome, which includes excess fat storage; isn't that why some of us are here, to lose fat?

It's easy to manage sugar. Don't eat it. Some people need to limit fruits, others do not. Do what works for you. Adjust your macros or just ignore the red numbers.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I ditched my sugar tracker and changed it to cholesterol.
    that's equally as bad. dietary cholesterol has a very low impact on total cholesterol.

even then the lipoprotein levels do not have a decent correlation with heart disease.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Wrong. Why wait until one has diabetes when it can be prevented? Yes, it can be prevented with lifestyle/diet. I did it. Not to mention all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome, which includes excess fat storage; isn't that why some of us are here, to lose fat?

It's easy to manage sugar. Don't eat it. Some people need to limit fruits, others do not. Do what works for you. Adjust your macros or just ignore the red numbers.

Yes. Let's argue with people who know what they're talking about 'cause we're all special and everyone's opinion matters . . .

FFS
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I changed that tab to fiber, since I seem to not get enough of it.

You can change them! I know, I have one banana and i'm over sugars for the day, it's ridiculous.