Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    There is some science that supports eating fewer carbs late at night. It has more to do with regulating insulin. I just finished dinner and will have a protein shake around 9 after I get done at the gym. That will finish off my calories for the day and give my body building blocks for repair over night without spiking my insulin to convert excess sugar to fat. When I get up in the morning, I will have fruit and cottage cheese to wake up my metabolism for the day, then oatmeal a couple of hours later.

I lift weights fairly seriously for a girl, but not as seriously as my husband. I want to be able to squat, dead lift and bench press my bodyweight and overhead press 2/3 of it. He has much bigger goals than that. I do want to recompile my fat percentage down to about 20 %. I am at my maintenance weight, but the fat is currently 26%.

Good luck finding out what works for you.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have my tea at 5.30 with the kids and that's my last meal, I was told eating after 6 your matabolism is slower and I exercise more during the day than at night so I feel like if I eat late at night and don't exercise it feels harder to move. I'm not hungry I think it's just habit.

Totally not true. You were informed incorrectly. Meal timing has zero effect on weight loss, as long as you stay at a deficit. Eat when it works for you.

would you give me a scientific source for this? I'm actually not ironic, Im really asking because I want to scientifically shut up my friends too about this lol
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    why do you wnat to look at her diary, may have missed it but she doesnt have a problem.

For the record I just had dinner with 70% of my calories about 10:30pm in the UK. I dont reallt think it has an effect. Hasnt stopped me losing.

If you are happy with your diet, its healthy and works for you then keep on with it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    why do you wnat to look at her diary, may have missed it but she doesnt have a problem.

For the record I just had dinner with 70% of my calories about 10:30pm in the UK. I dont reallt think it has an effect. Hasnt stopped me losing.

If you are happy with your diet, its healthy and works for you then keep on with it.

First post was edited 50 minutes after posting. I assume us late comers are missing some context.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I really hope this is not true considering it would mean I have some major health issues since I don't get home from work until 8pm, don't eat until around 9pm, and have still managed to lose almost 45lbs.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have my tea at 5.30 with the kids and that's my last meal, I was told eating after 6 your matabolism is slower and I exercise more during the day than at night so I feel like if I eat late at night and don't exercise it feels harder to move. I'm not hungry I think it's just habit.

This is definitely not true
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nanelleJA wrote: »
    I don't know for sure, but if you eat late and go to bed shortly after, wouldn't your body not metabolize the food as well? I notice that if I go to bed soon after eating on a regular basis, I tend to put more weight on over time. That may just be me though...

You burn the same amount in the day regardless and your metabolism operates all the time, so I don't see how when you eat would matter in any kind of meaningful way unless it results in eating more.

Some people have issues with overeating (snacking) in the evenings, and for them a rule about not eating after a certain time might work, but I can't see why it matters when you eat dinner.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

First post was edited 50 minutes after posting. I assume us late comers are missing some context.
    Ok I get lost on which posts are which as they all seem to be about 4 issues and its the same answers every time.

People make things way more complicated than they actually are.

• Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I edited that title because people was thinking I was saying don't eat after 6 which I wasn't.....dnt miss meals or starve your self, if your hungry eat. I was just saying I have my tea at 5.30 n then I dnt eat late I find it works for me.....everyone is diff
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kind of changing the subject, but tea=dinner? Or at least the main final or evening meal? Not what some of us Americans might think of as a beverage with some teacakes. ;-)

In the US, "dinner" properly=largest meal of the day, but since it's so commonly the evening meal we tend to just use it for that most of the time (or that's how I grew up).

My grandfather was a farmer most of his life and had his largest meal at lunchtime, and always called lunch "dinner" and the evening meal "supper." It drove me crazy when I was a kid, I thought it was weird and kind of hick, but later learned it was actually correct.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat past 7:30 or 8:00 because it sits there and interferes with my sleep.