ATTN: Dog owners

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
Please consider leashing your dog in the yard if you have no deterrence for them to leave it.

This morning as I went for my daily jog, a homeowner was out in the front with their dog. I was across the street when I saw the dog bolt towards me. I then sped up a little bit and the dog darted towards my direction.......................right in front of a car. The car didn't hit the dog, but slammed it's brakes and the owner ran over yelling the dogs name.
Then the owner got angry at me because my speeding up urged their dog to run after me. Wait, you're mad at me because your dog is coming after me and you didn't leash it?

I replied back that it wouldn't be an issue if the dog had been leashed. He flipped me off and I just continued.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Woooow, people can be ridiculous. He is obviously one of those people that's "never wrong."

Good thing you didn't get bit and the dog didn't get hit!
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a serious issue with this. He flipped you off, but what will the owner do when I smash a rock on a dog's head for chasing me?

I was cornered by a pit bull just the other day. I threatened it with a huge rock the size of a shoe and it backed off but I wouldn't have hesitated to defend myself regardless of an idiot owner. I have also thrown a handful of gravel and rocks at dogs that came close, and kicked a smaller one that nipped at my feet. If a dog is out in the road, it's a serious problem.

It shouldn't even be allowed on a sidewalk. The sidewalk is public property and is there for people to walk on without being attacked even if it runs through their yard.

Even worse is what would happen if these irresponsible pet owners had a dog that attacked one of my kids. I would have absolutely zero mercy on what happened to them whether it was arrests, lawsuits, or losing their animals.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, in! Where's my popcorn?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am friends with many of the police officers in city, so I'm sure I can mention it and probably have them talk to the owner. I have to check the leash laws in my city though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    no leash laws in the city here, but my dog is known for running when off leash. so we have been working with the shock collar. if she is ever off leash she has the shock collar on with my finger on the button at all times. She acts like a puppy even though she is 4. She does not chase anything but will run up and down the street.

I think people either need to have the dogs incredibly trained, have a invisible fence, shock collar or leash their dogs in the front yards. I can not count how many dogs have chased me and my dog on walks.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    According to the leash law in my city, I can call the Police animal control division and give information on the incident. I'm thinking I should since had there been no car, I'm sure the dog would have taken a snap at me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Gdeeaz
    Gdeeaz Posts: 60
    Options
    I don't understand why people let their dogs out without a leash anywhere but a dog park. My dogs are pretty well behaved but if they were out without a leash and saw another dog or a cat they would bolt after it. I am terrified of my dogs being hit by a car or biting someone. Although I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go after a person unless the individual was posing a threat to me or them.
  • trin5703
    trin5703 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a large Belgian Malinois, a retired police dog. Even as well trained as Dutch is, he DOES NOT go in the yard unless on a leash. The only time he is off the leash is behind a 6 foot fence.

That dog is going to end up getting killed, and its not the dog's fault, he was just being a dog. The problem is the owner.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Dogs should be leashed even if there isn't any laws compelling owners to do so (I can't think of a municipality that doesn't except maybe rurual unincorporated juristictions). It's in the best interest and safety of the dog, the owner, and the community. If you have a concern about an unleashed dog where you walk, run , bike, or push a stroller, keep a bit of kibble/bits of string cheese and throw it away from you to distract the dog. It's a minior inconvenience compared to what can happen.

I think it was appropriate to report it. Based upon the owner's response to you, he doesn't care much about his community or for that matter, his dog.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    When I go for walks I only let me dog off in the Bog/Marsh what ever you want to call it... no cars what so ever
    only other people usually with their dogs off the leash too.

But I can't stand the nerves of some dog owners....
    guess those people would be rude individuals anyways, without a dog or with.
    Sad.
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    that's ridiculous, it's kind of like the people that bump into you and rudely say "excuse you"
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This isn't even a legality issue, but common sense. Unless you know your dog can absolutely 100% be safe with cars around without your supervision, keep it contained or under control.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Most dogs are racist.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Lol people are CRAZY! I have a dog, but I would never let him in the front yard without a leash...he's too fast and WOULD go afte someone. I had a little yappy dog come after me running about a month ago, and the owner didnt even realize it til I stopped three houses down because it kept coming. She came after it finally and was like "oh it hought you were my daughter".....jeez if i hadnt stopped that thing woulda been lost for sure
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Sounds like the dog owner needed to be leashed.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thats incredably irrespouncable of the dog owner! I would have had the same instict. If it happens again report them for sure
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I hate that too.
    As a dog owner and dog trainer, I am HUGE on safety for people as well as dogs.

FYI: If a dog runs AT you, stop running and turn toward it and cross your arms. DO NOT keep running since IF the dog is likely to bite you, you have now become a fun moving target and worked up the dogs adrenal response.
    If you can judge dog language well, tell the dog to get lose, back off.
    If not, wait til the dog loses interest. If your boring and non threatening, most dogs will saunter off pretty quickly. :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue several times, usually when walking my (leashed) dog.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That dog owner was a jerk about it. Most of us would apologize and explain our dogs were just wanting to play. My dog will chase, but he will not bite. Of course, my dog is in my fenced yard or leashed so he doesn't cause any incidents like this. Animal lovers and regular humans can coexist peacefully if we just show each other a little respect.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I would have said whatever douche!