Which weight lifting shoe?

Options
tomcornhole
tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
So Jim Wendler and Mark Rippetoe have me convinced to get a pair of lifting shoes. Which ones? Seems new balance has a cross trainer one but it is described as flat with a little coushion. VS has a nice one on amazon that gets good reviews but its $100. Has the elevated heel and its described as hard and stable which is good.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow. I could probably benefit from proper lifting shoes but I'm cheap.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You don't want ' a little coushion' in a lifting shoe

Get a cheap pair of converse all stars/chuck Taylor's

Sorted.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I weight train at home, so I go barefoot. I've read in several places that Converse work great. You don't want any heel or cushion, as it can throw off your balance.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options

Sorted.
    can I ask why?:smile:
    Edit : nevermind ^^
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    I have been lifting barefoot. Seems to work fine but Jim and Mark both say the elevated and hard as a rock heel of a proper weight lifting shoe is a worthwhile investment. They seem to know what they are talking about. I also have chucks.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    Interesting! I've been wearing a pair of Asics, I don't lift heavy really yet but I am doing deadlifts, squats, lunges, step-ups, etc. and I don't feel as solid as I could in my balance and often have trouble keeping my weight in my heels rather than my toes. I think I might try my converse for Monday's work out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Sorted.
    can I ask why?:smile:
    You don't need it. You're lifting not running. The more you can "feel" the floor, the more grounded you are and the more power you can exert.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everything above. If you are buying a shoe for lifting, you don't want cushion. Go barefoot, or look at 5-finger shoes, chuck taylors, or an actual weight lifting shoe. Do not look at running shoes, cross trainers, etc.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Barefoot > any shoe
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Barefoot > any shoe

Maybe, but many gyms require shoes.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Barefoot > any shoe

Maybe, but many gyms require shoes.

Sorry I lift at home, I forget about gym rules... Sorry
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Just ordered some VS Athletics weightlifting shoes.

https://www.vsathletics.com/store/VS-Athletics-Weightlifting-Shoe.html
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Merrell Barefoot Crush Trainers. I didn't like them at first, and they are a bit clodd-hopperish when running on the treadmill to warm up, but I have grown to love them for lifting. They are very flat -- no cushion except for a good arch support. Their best feature is that the sole is almost sticky -- there is no slippage at all on the gym floor. When you plant your foot or toe, it stays put. I would definitely recommend them for a lifting shoe, but not as an "all around" cross trainer.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Question: what do you use if you're totally flat-footed? I understand why you want to feel the floor, but I'm so flat-footed that my feet roll inward when I stand without shoes on. I've been using my Brooks running shoes to lift because they support the inside of my foot. When I walk around barefoot too long, the inside of my feet and calves become sore.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    five fingers or chuck taylors.

enjoy.
  • biglifts
    biglifts Posts: 5
    Options
    There's a reason Ripptoe, Wendler, Pendlay, Ivan Rojas and every other professional level coach and lifter you hear talk about weight lifting recommend oly shoes - they serve a very specific purpose.

Don't listen to the barefoot crowd, nor the chuck taylor crowd. Those are great options if you are pulling deads but when it comes to squats you are almost always better off wearing a tight fitting shoe that supports your entire foot. You ever notice how many people have issues with their knees turning inward and/or they look like they are standing on the insides of their feet when squatting? That is because their shoes have no medial support. You should be pressing your knees outward, tracking over your toes and keeping the weight on the heels and outer-mid (lateral) part of the foot when squatting. Nothing helps accomplish this better than a well fitting lifting shoe.

Not that I've gone all semi-scientific, my suggestions are as follows: If you have the cash, AdiPower or Adias Power Perfect 2 (I have some issues with the Nikes). The Powerlift Trainer is also a great shoe for a new lifter and received really good reviews from WLShoes.com. I'll throw something new out there as well as I just received a pair from Risto, the new Olimpico is an awesome shoe and cheaper than the big brands. Not sure if they are available international though. If you are on a budget you can look into wei-rui brand; but whatever you do, stay away from do-win anything. They are $@#!

Hope that helps!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    also again faster has good price lifting shoes that are apparently made by risto.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'll throw something new out there as well as I just received a pair from Risto, the new Olimpico is an awesome shoe and cheaper than the big brands. Not sure if they are available international though. If you are on a budget you can look into wei-rui brand; but whatever you do, stay away from do-win anything. They are $@#!

Hope that helps!
    Quoting for reference later....

I like my Chuck Taylors for deadlifts and most of my other lifting exercises, but I was also wondering if something with more heel support would work better for me when I'm doing squats? I was going to make a concerted effort to see what people are wearing at the next powerlifting event I attend. Maybe I'll start checking out videos of squats and see what those people are wearing?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the barefoot crowd, nor the chuck taylor crowd. Those are great options if you are pulling deads but when it comes to squats you are almost always better off wearing a tight fitting shoe that supports your entire foot. You ever notice how many people have issues with their knees turning inward and/or they look like they are standing on the insides of their feet when squatting? That is because their shoes have no medial support. You should be pressing your knees outward, tracking over your toes and keeping the weight on the heels and outer-mid (lateral) part of the foot when squatting. Nothing helps accomplish this better than a well fitting lifting shoe.

^^^ Exactly. I used to be a barefoot squatter then bought weightlifting shoes. HUGE difference in stability. I still do Deadlifts in my bare feet or socks, but use my weightlifting shoes for Squats, Presses, Power Clean, and Bench Pressing (probably not necessary, but you can really dig in your heels with them.

I have Nike Romaleos. I bit on the pricey side, but they're very nice shoes. I've read really good things about the Rogue Do Wins - and they're fairly inexpensive for weightlifting shoes.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance minimalist shoes for lifting, and I prefer them for running now too. They give me plenty of stability and they were only $50.