Best Of Luck, I Give Up

Options
For Six months I have been tracking my food. For Six months I have cut out 99% of my intake of grease and sweets. For Six months I have walked, swam, or done a work out video 5 times a week. For Six months I have researched weight loss, been to doctors and nutritionists. And all of it has been a waste of time, because I have lost nothing. Every monday I weigh 250 lbs., and no matter what calorie deficit i set my goal at for the week, no matter how diligent I am about it, and no matter how much exercise i take part in come Friday i weight 253. This has happened every week for the last 5 months. It is a cruel joke I am not taking part in anymore.

Science and math don't seem to apply to me, so i guess i am SOL. Good luck to those of you fortunate enough to have bodies that work correctly.

Replies

• fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your frustration :( maybe you are already at your ideal weight?
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    im so sorry your so down and defeated... im guessing no one really knows what to say to this. but ill try and say something..
    250, so your wanting better health.. and youve taken lots of steps to get there and its not showed.
    i would be asking the doctor about thyroid tests, tests for PCOS and such the like. do you take any medication for anything? could this be the cause? it sounds like youve really tried and my heart goes out to you. did you try measuring with a tape measure instead of weighing? i dont know your story or your journey but surely after all that effort, if nothings shown then it could be medical related? i had a thyroid problem for yrs and yrs before they agreed to test for it.. i wish you the best of luck., and sorry youve been so through the mill with it all. i cant imagine the frustration. i was not that weight but i couldnt shift a pound till i got properly medicated. and even then it took yrs. hope your ok and best of luck xxx
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I see this is your first post... I say make your diary public and ask for help. Let us see what's going on and maybe we have an idea what could be wrong. There are a million things to take into account when trying to lose weight.

Are you drinking enough water?
    Are you exercising & eating your calories?
    Are you measuring your portions accurately?
    Are you overestimating your calorie burn?
    How much sodium do you eat?
    Do you drink alcohol on a regular basis?

etc. !
  • LoriLoveHoopes
    Options
    Or try the HCG Diet and give your metabolism a boot in the butt! Thats what it did for me! Now that Ive lost a little I just keep eating healthy. Also if you are still drinking soda of any sort, that will keep the pounds on! Im sorry for your frustration! I cant get past 200!
  • machinegun74
    Options
    I went through something similar last year. Cut out a lot of bad stuff in my diet, quit drinking regular sodas etc did the low carb thing. Starting using my wifes exercise DVDs and walking. Looking back I was taking in too many calories for what I was burning, or closer to burning exactly what I was taking in.

For some reason this year my body and brain seemed to come together. I now eat stuff that was worse than last time around but I take in a max of 2000 calories a day but try to stay at 1800. Plus I wasnt really doing much more than going through the motions when it came to working out. Ive been getting better results increasing my intensity more and more. I have to dig deeper and deeper just to make it to the end of a session.

I dont know if any of this might apply to you, Im just telling you youre not the only one. Id recommend a total program like one of the P90 series that comes with a nutrition outline. By the end of my first round Im looking at finally losing some serious weight.
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would use measurements as your guide instead of the scale. My scale has been going between 205 and 200 for the past couple months BUT my tape measure and my clothes are telling me a different story. I take part in Crossfit-style workouts and I am gaining a ton of muscle which could be why the scale is not moving. So I say don't give up, do it for another month or so and take measurements. If you still do not see any changes then ask your doctor if there could be something medical going on.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with arielle0489.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For Six months I have been tracking my food. For Six months I have cut out 99% of my intake of grease and sweets. For Six months I have walked, swam, or done a work out video 5 times a week. For Six months I have researched weight loss, been to doctors and nutritionists. And all of it has been a waste of time, because I have lost nothing. Every monday I weigh 250 lbs., and no matter what calorie deficit i set my goal at for the week, no matter how diligent I am about it, and no matter how much exercise i take part in come Friday i weight 253. This has happened every week for the last 5 months. It is a cruel joke I am not taking part in anymore.

Science and math don't seem to apply to me, so i guess i am SOL. Good luck to those of you fortunate enough to have bodies that work correctly.

I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated but rightfully so if you feel like you've put in the effort. But I feel like we're missing a few pieces of the puzzle. Can we know exactly what you've been eating? And what a typical day is like for you?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I have been and currently am in YOUR Shoes.

Please find another Doctor, you have something going on. Thyroid, Adrenal Fatigue, PCOS.............something is going on in your body

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!

PM me and I can give you some information about tests to request by your doctor to force them to take a serious look at you.

I have done so much reading and research, I now TELL my Doctor what tests I need and expect them to write the paperwork for it.

I had to go to a naturopathic doctor to get the answers I needed, but I finally got them!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

On the right hand side of your post it says that you joined in June 2010. Which means you've been here ... less than a month. So, for 6 months, you've been trying it your way and have not lost. You came here and in less than a month, you still have not lost anything. Am I correct?

Seriously, the best advice that I can give you is this.... TRY MFP. Put in your numbers, be honest with tracking your food and see what happens. THIS IS NOT HARD. I had tried everything before coming to MFP... I THOUGHT I was doing it ALL RIGHT... I wasn't.

But- if you choose to leave and give up... that's your choice. But please don't walk away saying that "MFP didn't work for you... not if you didn't give it a real shot".
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Or try the HCG Diet and give your metabolism a boot in the butt! Thats what it did for me! Now that Ive lost a little I just keep eating healthy. Also if you are still drinking soda of any sort, that will keep the pounds on! Im sorry for your frustration! I cant get past 200!

Please don't recommend the HCG diet to someone that doesn't know if they are having Thyroid issues or not. My naturopath says this is the worst thing they ever came out with in terms of dieting.

It is supposedly supposed to "reset" the Endocrine system so the thyroid and pituitary glands communicate with each other to regulate the metabolism, but it is often making people sicker.

The HCG diet should only be done under a doctors discretion and for a short time.................

I can not endorse this at all.
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Your post makes no sense, something is not right...

Please take the time to read this post...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
    ESPECIALLY READ QUESTION 3!!!! This applies to those who are NOT losing weight. IT IS GOOD!
  • amijay77
    amijay77 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sorry i posted on the wrong account. I am the OP, I am not a big poster on forums. For those of you with suggestions, my measurements have stayed the same for last 5 months as well, whenever i go to the doctor she tells me to just exercise more. My cloths don't fit any better, and it is getting harder to find things that fit at all in stores.

I just had my RMR tested and I was really hopeful that eating around that number would start to show results, but nothing but more weight is my reward for trying to do that.

I won't be sharing my tracker as I am a tad paranoid of how much information I share about myself on public websites. I am not looking for a critique, simply saying best of luck to those of you who have posted over the months that kept me going this long.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    I see this is your first post... I say make your diary public and ask for help. Let us see what's going on and maybe we have an idea what could be wrong. There are a million things to take into account when trying to lose weight.

Are you drinking enough water?
    Are you exercising & eating your calories?
    Are you measuring your portions accurately?
    Are you overestimating your calorie burn?
    How much sodium do you eat?
    Do you drink alcohol on a regular basis?

etc. !

Agreed - let someone take a look at what you're doing and provide a bit of feedback before you give up entirely.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i want to let you know that you are not alone! i can totally relate to what you are saying, but please don't give up.
    last may, i reached the highest point i have EVER weighed. after years of visiting doctors to find out what was wrong with me, i was finally diagnosed with pcos and started a medley of drugs that were supposed to help. no weight loss.
    in june, i started running. no weight loss.
    in july, no weight loss.
    in august, i was only eating 1200 calories a day. no weight loss.
    in septemeber, no weight loss.
    in october, no weight loss.
    in november, i join myfitnesspal. no weight loss.
    in december, i am just about ready to give up. still no weight loss.
    in january, i lost 1 pound.
    in february, i lost 1 pound.
    in march, i lost 1 pound.
    in april, i lost 2 pounds (!).
    in may, i lost 3 pounds (!!).
    in june, so far i have lost a little bit more than a pound a week. finally! more than a YEAR later!
    i can understand your frustration because i was right there with you! let me know if you need a friend.
    dawn
  • fitandhealthy
    Options
    Sorry i posted on the wrong account. I am the OP, I am not a big poster on forums. For those of you with suggestions, my measurements have stayed the same for last 5 months as well, whenever i go to the doctor she tells me to just exercise more. My cloths don't fit any better, and it is getting harder to find things that fit at all in stores.

I just had my RMR tested and I was really hopeful that eating around that number would start to show results, but nothing but more weight is my reward for trying to do that.

I won't be sharing my tracker as I am a tad paranoid of how much information I share about myself on public websites. I am not looking for a critique, simply saying best of luck to those of you who have posted over the months that kept me going this long.

I'm sorry that so many of us doubted you, but it is only because we've seen so much success on this site. We are all here to help you, please don't give up, this is the best support system you will find. We are all made so differently, and some of will see progress more quickly than others, but the math really does work. Please stick with it.
  • fitandhealthy
    Options
    You can click on her 12 posts under the other account and clearly see the long battle that she has had since 2008. I don't have any answers for her, but I hope someone does?

amijay77
    Joined Jul 2008
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your post on the 7th talked about survival/starvation mode and that you haven't lost because you are eating too few calories. Are you eating the right amount of calories now? Are you eating the healthy calories that you mentioned to that poster? Have you talked to a nutrionist? Maybe give up on weight loss, but certainly don't give up on your health. Eat healthy and exercise and don't worry about the weight. Good luck!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that so many of us doubted you, but it is only because we've seen so much success on this site. We are all here to help you, please don't give up, this is the best support system you will find. We are all made so differently, and some of will see progress more quickly than others, but the math really does work. Please stick with it.

Agree with the above. Maybe you don't need to make your profile public - your food diary, your exercise diary - but maybe you can walk us through a typical day foodwise and how much water you take in.

Like other responders will say, with so many people having had success, it's hard to believe the math doesn't work if you're doing all the work.

Also, this is coming from someone (ME) who struggled with the same 60-65 pounds for 8 years before it finally started to come off. This is not meant to discourage but as a testament to the honesty you need to have with yourself in order for the process to work.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up!We are all on here because we want to track calories and exercise,and get help and advice from others...
    I'm thinking it has to be what you are eating.At first I thought that you did not try hard enough,and that wasn't really fair.Your whole post is just a cry for help-hope you find it.