Please recommend a workout DVD?

Options
Hi,

I've recently lost weight and toned up at the gym but now I won't have access to a gym for a long time. I have some dumbbells and wondered if anyone could recommend any good workout DVDs (or preferably one I can get for free on youtube!!).

I have a pretty good level of fitness. I'm 5'6.5 and around 136 pounds. I think this weight suits my frame so not looking to lose weight, although I understand I will probably need to lose a bit of fat to tone up as much as I want. Main focus now is really to tone up and get rid of the rolls of fat that won't shift from my stomach.

I've heard a lot of people talking about 30DS, my only worry with this is that I will be travelling around and would not be able to do 30 days straight.

I'll appreciate any advice :)

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on YouTube has some great dumbbell workouts.

Most cable companies have a free programs section. It's worth checking; TimeWarner and Comcast both offer free workouts.

I hated 30DS, but I like her other videos that I've tried (Six Week Six Pack, Banish Fat Boost Metab.). As far as weights go, No More Trouble Zones is supposed to be excellent, and it's like $5 used on Amazon.

If you decide you want a program-program, I'd recommend finding a used copy of Chalean Extreme (sort of a junior varsity P90X). I got a used copy and am enjoying it very much. I ignore the cardio discs and substitute running or Insanity.

Good luck!
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme is a great toning up workout, and Les Mills Combat is pretty kickass as well.
    If you just want to dumbbell work, go with ChaLEAN, but if you want to add some intense cardio, Combat is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.
  • PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Options
    Insanity.
    It costs some ridiculous amount of money, but I did it for free because my roommate downloaded it from a torrent.
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Insanity all the way. I have done in once completely and almost done my second time around. You will be happy with the results you get from it as well. It is expensive, but soooo worth it.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with my two previous posters, Insanity is pretty badass too.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do 30DS every day consecutively to see benefits from it. You can do it a couple of times a week and still see results.
  • kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options
    Insanity for sure!
    I just finished it and am definitely stronger and my running speed and stamina have increased as well :)

I bought mine off craigslist for 50 bucks brand new. You can always download it too.
  • AngelChini
    AngelChini Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would like to recommend workouts from Jillian Michaels. You will notice results instantly. I did 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and Killer Abs, and the results were stunning. I am also doing Supreme 90 it is also really good. If you want results right away you need to change your diet and have a healthy lifestyle. Also you need to workout almost everyday for an hour.^^
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Tapout XT is awesome! It's got a good bit of core work, and a strong core helps a LOT with a strong everything. Plus, you can do the dvds with as little as the resistance band and loop that come with the kit, so they can be done in a hotel room or something ;)
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas - I'll have a look at them all and see which one I think looks best for me! Might see if I can find Insanity cheaply (or free) somewhere....!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Forget all the rest. P90X is the best!!!
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the poster above me, P90X. Depending on what version you are doing (lean or classic) it really does work ALL parts of the body. I have seen amazing results with P90X when I did it my first round. I am now doing it again. Any JM workout's are good too, but more so for beginners ( in my experience). P90X is definitely more of a challenge. No offense to Insanity but I am not a fan!
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Insanity for sure!
    I just finished it and am definitely stronger and my running speed and stamina have increased as well :)

I bought mine off craigslist for 50 bucks brand new. You can always download it too.

GASP! How DARE you! Now shaun T is gonna have to wait TWO extra weeks for his solid gold swimming pool! Your so selfish!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jari Love, Amy Bento, Cathe Friedrich, and Ilaria Montagnani.

I don't like the JM videos because she walks around her exercisers, and I need an instructor who is performing the exercises.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just want to add to the many Insanity votes!! It is AMAZING. Was never so sore as I was after the first day or two, but after that it got better. Workouts are TOUGH, but that helps keep it interesting, because you can always push yourself even after doing the same work out many times.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels DVDs are only about $10 at walmart. They are a killer.
  • Cravitzina
    Cravitzina Posts: 10
    Options
    I echo the recommendations for fitnessblender.com
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. A little pricey but possible to find used. I'm planning to go to Chalean Extreme next since I like the emphasis on weights (am doing c25k and will continue to run for cardio).
  • ang523
    ang523 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels- 30 DS, Ripped, and killer buns and thighs- all great workouts and you can buy for less than 10$ on Amazon