Daily Sugar goals

Options
2»

Replies

• Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Mine is 61g, I try to be under but don't stress too much about it as I eat a lot of fruit.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I don't track it.
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I also agree that it's sad that MFP shames you for consuming too much sugar in the form of natural foods like fruits and vegetables. It should differentiate between foods with natural sugar and those which have it artificially added. That differentiation still wouldn't be perfect but would encourage healthier choices in my opinion.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think my sugar is usually under about 7 g per day, but I don't pay much attention to it. I'm one who keeps carbs low so my sugars stay pretty low as a consequence.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JessHelsel wrote: »
    I was sooo frustrated with this too... My calorie goal is 1490, but they set my sugar goal to be 30g. So that doesn't add up to the 15% rule stated above...

MFP doesn't just arbitrarily set some alternative goal. At 1490, you should have a sugar goal of 56 grams (although if that bothers you just switch it with fiber).

That yours is 30 grams likely means that you set up your goals before MFP changed the goal to try and account for the fact that sugar from fruit and dairy will be included and you can fix it by rerunning your goals. It's also possible, I suppose, that you custom set your sugar goal and forgot, or did it by accident.

If rerunning doesn't fix it, email MFP, as it's wrong.
    All that does is seriously shame me for eating normal, healthy foods.

Why does it shame you? Who cares? I watch my sugar sometimes and look at the source of it, and if I'm not concerned about the source I don't mind going over (I usually don't, but I wouldn't) anymore than I mind going over sat fat sometimes or my calories on occasion or my carbs number. In fact, unlike the calories number I see the nutrition ones as more guidelines.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »
    I also agree that it's sad that MFP shames you for consuming too much sugar in the form of natural foods like fruits and vegetables. It should differentiate between foods with natural sugar and those which have it artificially added. That differentiation still wouldn't be perfect but would encourage healthier choices in my opinion.

It simply can't. That information is not differentiated on the entries in the database. It may change when labels change, although I think it will take time.

The tool allows a user to see where the sugar is coming from, though. I'd say a bigger issue is feeling shame related to this, or thinking that it's that big a deal to go over an MFP goal. (Some people even seem to worry about going over on protein or fat or carbs, but if you hit close to calories regularly you will go over on some of those regularly, unless you are really uptight about hitting the numbers perfectly in a way that does not matter.)
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to track sugar intake when i first started on MFP but gradually, as my eating habits changed and i wised up diet wise i dropped tracking sugar and i track more important macro's like fiber. My sugar macro was/is set to 118g now so most days i'm under it anyway....it's just super treat sunday that kills me :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    JessHelsel wrote: »
    I was sooo frustrated with this too... My calorie goal is 1490, but they set my sugar goal to be 30g. So that doesn't add up to the 15% rule stated above...

so re-run your goals, you haven't done that since Jan 2014 ?
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Women should only have 6 teaspoons of sugar a day it's contributes to about 25 g. That's what's recommended by my plate so that's what I follow
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    Women should only have 6 teaspoons of sugar a day it's contributes to about 25 g. That's what's recommended by my plate so that's what I follow

That's "added sugar." It doesn't include the sugar in fruit, etc.