Help with last 10lbs

Options
I have used mfp in the past but have gotten a lot more strict with it recently. I am getting married in hawaii may 15th and would like to lose the last 10 pounds before then. I started at 158lbs in February and am now down to 146. I have started doing cardio the last 2 weeks and have been doing at home exercises for the past month. I can't drop down anymore weight it seems. Any advice? I haven't ever used a forum before and have always done mfp privately. Now I need some advice from the community. Thank in advance. I am terrible at tracking on Friday and Saturday, but am usually good on Saturday and use Friday to indulge a bit, but never in great excess.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lifting weights?

When I get closer to my goal, increasing my veggie intake seems to make a big difference. Going from 5 fruits and veggies (almost all veggies) to 10 a day is the only way I seem to be able to drop below a particular point.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You might consider opening your diary for more specific feedback.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating a day? For your body weight, you should be taking in over 50 grams a day. If you're eating 50, you could try raising that number.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/9-ways-to-burn-fat-fast.html
  • paintpastelprincess86
    Options
    I am getting married May 6th in the Bahamas and have roughly 10 more lbs. to lose. They have been the hardest so far! Stay active, eat balanced meals and just keep your eye on the prize! Feel free to add me if you need support, because I sure do!
  • fa110n
    fa110n Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Opened my diary now. I've been trying to eat at least 50 daily though sometimes I don't make it. I added 24 grams of protein to my post workout smoothie today. I'll give it a try.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    fa110n wrote: »
    I have used mfp in the past but have gotten a lot more strict with it recently. I am getting married in hawaii may 15th and would like to lose the last 10 pounds before then. I started at 158lbs in February and am now down to 146. I have started doing cardio the last 2 weeks and have been doing at home exercises for the past month. I can't drop down anymore weight it seems. Any advice? I haven't ever used a forum before and have always done mfp privately. Now I need some advice from the community. Thank in advance. I am terrible at tracking on Friday and Saturday, but am usually good on Saturday and use Friday to indulge a bit, but never in great excess.

Depending on how much you're indulging on Friday and Saturday, if you aren't logging all of it you could be undoing your efforts the rest of the week. Also I'm noticing that you're logging most of your food in pieces and cups. The less weight you have to lose the more precise you need to be to see results. If you don't have a kitchen scale invest in one and use it. Most food should be weighed, not measured, even salad dressing and peanut butter packaging gives servings in grams. Little inaccuracies can add up and as a result your results will not be what you think they should be.

I also second weight lifting. When most of us get to the "last 10 pounds" we're not looking to lose pounds so much as we're looking to firm up and slim down. Lifting weights will do that for you while allowing you to eat a little more and not be quite so precise with your logging. I'm able to maintain my weight 10 pounds higher but still fit in the same clothes and have lost some of the jiggle I disliked so much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I swear I responded to this and can't find my response.

How big is your deficit? Indulging on the weekends can wipe out a deficit or make a projected .5 lb weekly weight loss into .25 or less. I know because I do this. All the time.

With 10 pounds to lose you have to be accurate. Weighing everything on a food scale, jiggling your calories around a bit so you can indulge, but still keep that weekly deficit.
  • fa110n
    Options
    My deficit is set at 2 lbs a week. It suggests i eat 1200 calories a day. I am usually under that without my exercise calories added into it. I know that buying a scale would be beneficial but I just know myself and know I wouldn't use it. I might be slightly over my calories on the Fridays and Saturdays but not much if at all, but I will make a better effort at trying to document it, because I could be wrong.

I totally agree with the comment that losing the last 10lbs is more about toning up and slimming down. If I can get into my high school jeans but still weigh the same, I would be totally fine with that. Haha

• arditarose
    Options
    My deficit is set at 2 lbs a week. It suggests i eat 1200 calories a day. I am usually under that without my exercise calories added into it. I know that buying a scale would be beneficial but I just know myself and know I wouldn't use it. I might be slightly over my calories on the Fridays and Saturdays but not much if at all, but I will make a better effort at trying to document it, because I could be wrong.

I totally agree with the comment that losing the last 10lbs is more about toning up and slimming down. If I can get into my high school jeans but still weigh the same, I would be totally fine with that. Haha

With 10 lbs to lose, .5 a week is most appropriate.
  • fa110n
    edited April 2015
    Options

I agree that is probably more realistic for me. But I figure this way I make up for the calories I may be off by not weighing my food. Does that make sense or am I just totally mistaken?
    arditarose wrote: »

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

This. Its a very optimistic target you have for just 6 weeks considering the less you have to lose the harder it becomes. First start by tightening your logging, which means the terrible tracking has to go. You should go and do some resistance work and hope you can make a difference in 6 weeks. If its that important then work hard at it, maybe get a PT to push you.
  • arditarose
    Options

I agree that is probably more realistic for me. But I figure this way I make up for the calories I may be off by not weighing my food. Does that make sense or am I just totally mistaken?

You should just try to track properly. You want to be able to keep it off right? Might as well learn proper portions so you'll be good to maintain. You think you're eating 1200 calories right now and not losing, so you are clearly eating much more.
  • fa110n
    Options

You should just try to track properly. You want to be able to keep it off right? Might as well learn proper portions so you'll be good to maintain. You think you're eating 1200 calories right now and not losing, so you are clearly eating much more.

Well I am losing just not as quickly as I would have hoped. I started at 158 at mid February and am now 146. But you're right, maybe my portions are off. I'm 5'8" and just really want to weigh 135 by May 15th. Maybe that's just not a realistic goal right for so soon. Dang it procrastination. I am going to work on toning up with weights and watching my portions better and documenting everyday. Thanks guys.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Well I am losing just not as quickly as I would have hoped. I started at 158 at mid February and am now 146. But you're right, maybe my portions are off. I'm 5'8" and just really want to weigh 135 by May 15th. Maybe that's just not a realistic goal right for so soon. Dang it procrastination. I am going to work on toning up with weights and watching my portions better and documenting everyday. Thanks guys.

The thing is, realistically you're not going to be able to lose 2 pounds per week with so little to lose. Here's why. MFP will never recommend less than 1200 calories per day. So, even if you have your goal set to 2 pounds per week, if the 1000 calorie deficit you'd need to lose 2 pounds per week puts you under 1200 calories, MFP is still going to give you 1200 calories as a goal. That means you are only going to lose as much as the difference between your maintenance calories and 1200 calories at a rate of .5 pound per 250 calories.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

There you go :)

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm 5'8" and just really want to weigh 135 by May 15th. Maybe that's just not a realistic goal right for so soon. Dang it procrastination. I am going to work on toning up with weights and watching my portions better and documenting everyday. Thanks guys.
    Maybe 135lbs is a little low for you being 5ft 8.
    But i don't what frame size you are, so i'm really not sure.
    I'm only 5ft 4 and 134lbs, although i do have an athletic 'medium' frame....but then again i'm 4 inches shorter than you.
    Do you REALLY need to lose that last 10lbs?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The truth is, most brides who make themselves crazy trying to lose those "last 10 pounds" before the wedding are being a bit unrealistic. I mean, I get it -- you want to fit into the dress, you want to look nice in the photos and on your special day, etcetera. But ask around: Most people who got married will tell you that they wish they'd focused on the more important things, because a difference of 5-10 pounds really doesn't matter all that much. Just go to your dress fitting and get it fitted perfectly for where you are right now, and have a great wedding and celebrate with your new husband and all your family and friends.

If you still want to lose those 10 pounds, you will... but stop putting artificial pressure on yourself to do it by this arbitrary deadline. It will be easier once the stress of the wedding is over, too!

And agree with the above: The math doesn't work for 2lbs/week.