Massive sugar cravings...

Options
Can anyone tell me what are good and healthy snacks that are low in sugar? I get massive sugar cravings, which I often give in to. If I don't give in then I either get pent up and "binge" later, I get really cranky, or I lose energy really fast.

My cravings and sweet treats put me way over my sugar limit, the good news is that I have the calorie count under control, I do go over in a couple things, but I think the biggest factor is the sugar factor.

I have tried:
- Banana-oat cookies. I love them, but there are only so many times I can make them and eat them before I get bored and tired of them.
- Eating seaweed
- Drinking water or stevia-sweetened teas
- Diet-drinks

I dislike diet drinks because they are terrible for you and make me feel gross and excessively thirsty.

Any new ideas?

Replies

• Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and Dark Chocolate Almond milk take care of my sweet tooth. Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt is 80 calories per container and delicious. There's a lot of different flavors. 1 cup of dark chocolate almond milk is 100. And they're both healthy snacks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have sweets. You just need to account for the calories you consume. Realize that abstinence from something you actually like will usually challenge you mentally and for some physically (low carbers run into this initially). Lifestyle change is something you want to do for life. So if you don't plan to keep sugar out of your diet for life, then PLAN on how you can work it into your diet.
    I usually have ice cream or candy in controlled portions. Usually after dinner too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cat_caffeine
    cat_caffeine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    - fruit with yogurt
    - cookies or muffins made with unsweetened applesauce and stevia
    - baked apple slices with cinnamon (sometimes a little sugar as well, but usually just cinnamon)
    - chocolate dipped fruit or fruit with some nutella or yogurt dip
    - fruit/veg smoothies
    - homemade popsicles (fruit with no added sugar)

I've also heard of people making airpop popcorn and drizzling it with a little bit of chocolate or peanut butter
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    diet drinks are not as "terrible" for you as sugar is. If you want a no-BS answer, just suck it up and stop eating sweets. it's going to be terrible considering your sweet addiction but it wont suck as much after a few days of quitting cold turkey.
    i realize you control it but then "get pent up and binge later". it may be an ongoing battle, like how people say I've been sober for xx years.
    quit the sugar now while you can. get rid of your liking for it. the solution is not to find a sweet alternative.
    as for snacks, you already know the answer. theres TONs of things in your mind. you know theres carrots, celery, apples, dried fruits, nuts (in moderation), list goes on. Its just that your taste buds wont have any of it.
    dislike diet drinks? drink water. excessively thirsty? drink water.
    not trying to stir up emotions, just really want you to be happy being sugar-independent. you can do it :)
  • vicridge4
    vicridge4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    - fruit with yogurt
    - cookies or muffins made with unsweetened applesauce and stevia
    - baked apple slices with cinnamon (sometimes a little sugar as well, but usually just cinnamon)
    - chocolate dipped fruit or fruit with some nutella or yogurt dip
    - fruit/veg smoothies
    - homemade popsicles (fruit with no added sugar)

I've also heard of people making airpop popcorn and drizzling it with a little bit of chocolate or peanut butter
    Dave55412 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt and Dark Chocolate Almond milk take care of my sweet tooth. Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt is 80 calories per container and delicious. There's a lot of different flavors. 1 cup of dark chocolate almond milk is 100. And they're both healthy snacks.

Thank you two for giving great answers!

I'll give those a shot :P