Feeling lathargic

Options
So I took a week off from my calorie deficit and tried to remain at maintenance. Also didn't do much in the way of exercise either.

Yesterday, started logging properly again and exercising and now I'm feeling really deflated and without energy. I've slept properly so the only thing I can put it down to is lack of nutrition. My daily goal is 1420 (which went down from 1500 the week before due to losing weight) and I'm not sure if this is enough as I usually stay a 150 or so under in case I fancy something in the evening which means my overall consumption is around 1270 for the day.

Has anyone else experienced this and am I consuming enough? I cycle every day and use about 420 cals doing this. Is this enough or am I setting myself up for a fall?

I've now decreased my weight loss to 1lb a week from 1.5lb which puts my goal up to 1670 cals a day.

Replies

• twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, and I can't see your diary to see if your situation is the same as mine...but I found that when I allowed my protein intake to stay low (unintentionally) I felt exhausted, dragging, and lethargic. Once I increased my protein (though I still can't seem to reach goal...) I felt a lot better.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I agree with twoscmom, it could very well be your protein level. I have tremendously increased my protein intake and it has made a huge difference for me.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough fluid? Also are you very low carb? For me, though I am fairly low carb, if I go very low carb for a few days in a row I do tend to be without energy and it does not come back with more fat/protein, even though that works for others.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're a male in his 30's eating at 1400 -1670 calories? Plus you're exercising? Of course you're lethargic. Remember, the winner get's to eat the most and still lose.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »
    I've now decreased my weight loss to 1lb a week from 1.5lb which puts my goal up to 1670 cals a day.

How about going a bit further and decreasing it to a 0.5 lb a week loss and giving yourself some more calories?

• cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm eating back what I burn and my carb goal is 50%, protein at 20% and fat at 30%
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »

How about going a bit further and decreasing it to a 0.5 lb a week loss and giving yourself some more calories?

Thing is I don't feel hungry so don't want to be eating for the sake of eating if that makes sense.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Perhaps look at this calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to compare your current macros. I've found this one is close to what my nutritionist recommended. I've been losing a pound a week using the IIFYM recommendations. I rarely eat back my exercise calories (but I usually only burn about 200).
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're a male in his 30's eating at 1400 -1670 calories? Plus you're exercising? Of course you're lethargic. Remember, the winner get's to eat the most and still lose.

This. Your body needs fuel to operate. Eat more. Remember, your exercise increases your deficit. If you increase it too much you start to experience negative things like being tired....
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This. Your body needs fuel to operate. Eat more. Remember, your exercise increases your deficit. If you increase it too much you start to experience negative things like being tired....

not necessarily this. Im a male eating about 1500 calories and feel fine and have enough energy to work out and do my mountain bike rides.