How much weight can you lose cycling 7 miles a day on a Stationary Bike at 15-30mph?

Options
blondielou1992
blondielou1992 Posts: 37 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
How much weight can you lose cycling 7 miles a day on a Stationary Bike at 15-30mph if you did this every day for a week and ate a balanced diet which consisted of around 1200 - 1500 calories?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    2.7543892664859573 pounds. Give or take a few ounces
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It's all about how much you eat.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The answer is "D. Not enough information provided."
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal on MFP to lose 1 lb/week and follow that properly you should lose on average one pound/week, with or without exercise.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That would be impossible. The whole concept of a stationary bike is that it doesn't go anywhere.

But let's assume you would be burning 40 calories per "mile." So, if you ate at maintenance, you would lose about half a pound from the stationary bike.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    That would be impossible. The whole concept of a stationary bike is that it doesn't go anywhere.

But let's assume you would be burning 40 calories per "mile." So, if you ate at maintenance, you would lose about half a pound from the stationary bike.

Assuming a random number in the absence of any significant information such as the person's weight, rolling resistance or gearing ... there quite simply is not enough information here for even your pick a number out of thin air system.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    post-58615-Chevy-Chase-no-math-SNL-gif-Im-IvKX_zpscjdbqlna.gif
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?
  • dieselgoat
    Options
    I doubt very seriously you can ride 30 mph on a stationary bike. If you can, you need to be in the Tour de France-or your speedometer is way off.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Take your weight in lbs, divide by pie (oops, sorry, meant Pi), add your age in months, multiply by shoe size. The answer will be your weight loss in ounces per week.
    You're welcome
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Take your weight in lbs, divide by pie (oops, sorry, meant Pi), add your age in months, multiply by shoe size. The answer will be your weight loss in ounces per week.
    You're welcome

No that only works in August. The March formula also takes the standard deviation of your Social Security Number into account, though I can't remember if you add it or subtract it. I suggest trying both.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    You're welcome

No that only works in August. The March formula also takes the standard deviation of your Social Security Number into account, though I can't remember if you add it or subtract it. I suggest trying both.
    Ah, of course. I forgot to factor that in.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Speed means squat without knowing what resistance setting you're using.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    dieselgoat wrote: »
    I doubt very seriously you can ride 30 mph on a stationary bike. If you can, you need to be in the Tour de France-or your speedometer is way off.

As I said previously, that would be impossible, since a stationary bike doesn't go anywhere. But it is easy enough to get the flywheel spinning at a rate where a spider resting on the outside of the wheel would be going 30 mph. A person doing that would be burning calories, but the minimum effort would be that of lifting their legs once per revolution of the pedals.

Assuming a random number in the absence of any significant information such as the person's weight, rolling resistance or gearing ... there quite simply is not enough information here for even your pick a number out of thin air system.

It's just a ballpark figure. Don't have a coronary.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    dieselgoat wrote: »

As I said previously, that would be impossible, since a stationary bike doesn't go anywhere. But it is easy enough to get the flywheel spinning at a rate where a spider resting on the outside of the wheel would be going 30 mph. A person doing that would be burning calories, but the minimum effort would be that of lifting their legs once per revolution of the pedals.

It's just a ballpark figure. Don't have a coronary.

For it to be a ballpark, it would require a basis in reality which it lacks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok here's some concrete info for you.

I have a stationary bike, I often do about 10 miles in 42 minutes (14-15 mph) with no extra resistance. I'm 36, 5'5", 133 pounds, and it burns between 180 and 200 calories (confirmed with my HRM, which gave the same number as the bike). I've tried with extra resistance and it only burned about 30 more calories in the same time (on resistance 2). I have to really sprint to get to even 22 mph, and 15 mph is the best I can manage for a long period of time.

I'd probably burn 50 of those calories in the same time if I was just sitting in the house, so yeah... it doesn't burn much at all. I keep seeing people logging 400+ calorie burns on the bike in one hour and I'm just a little bit suspicious, lol.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm back in Algebra I class answering story problems.