Strength and Bodyweight training

Options
Because of college ad upcoming exams (which would determine if I'll qualify for the next academic year, eep), I won't be able to visit the gym for a few weeks or so. I was planning to start lifting, but won't be able to since we have no weights at home. But what I'm planning to do is take an hour 5x a week (30 minutes cardio + 30 minutes circuit/bodyweight training). My question is if the bodyweight training will still help tone my body and build a bit of muscle? And if I should be eating more because of the calories burned (I'm trying to maintain)? I'm thinking of consuming 2k calories a day every time I workout. Thank you! :-)

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight training is fine, but you won't build much if any muscle that way...I personally wouldn't eat back too many calories, but 2k sounds fine for a young active female.
  • MimGSR
    MimGSR Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There's a book called 'You Are Your Own Gym' that has loads of great bodyweight exercises and progressions so that you can get stronger and build muscle. There is also an app (in the UK at least, not sure if it's available everywhere) and the book can be downloaded onto a kindle fairly cheaply.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    Bodyweight training is fine, but you won't build much if any muscle that way...I personally wouldn't eat back too many calories, but 2k sounds fine for a young active female.

If not muscle, would it be possible to lose a bit of the loose skin from the workout? Ive got loose skin in my legs and arms from losing 60+ lbs. :-/
    Thank you! :-)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »

If not muscle, would it be possible to lose a bit of the loose skin from the workout? Ive got loose skin in
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    With respect to kdiamond, I have to disagree. I've been using the Beginner Bodyweight Workout for NerdFitness (link) for 6 months now, and I'm seeing more muscle and definition in my arms, back, legs, and even stomach. Any time you use muscle and push it farther than it's used to, it will build back stronger.
  • paradi3s
    Options
    MimGSR wrote: »
    There's a book called 'You Are Your Own Gym' that has loads of great bodyweight exercises and progressions so that you can get stronger and build muscle. There is also an app (in the UK at least, not sure if it's available everywhere) and the book can be downloaded onto a kindle fairly cheaply.

Thank you! Am planning to use the Sworkit app that partners with MFP but will try to purchase the book and give that a read. :-)

• paradi3s
    Options
  • paradi3s
    Options
    Manarelle wrote: »
    With respect to kdiamond, I have to disagree. I've been using the Beginner Bodyweight Workout for NerdFitness (link) for 6 months now, and I'm seeing more muscle and definition in my arms, back, legs, and even stomach. Any time you use muscle and push it farther than it's used to, it will build back stronger.

Thanks! Will check Nerdfitness out, I hear a lot of good comments about his articles and workouts. :-)