My Weight Loss Journey

Options
I'm a 57 year old maintenance manager for a large helicopter EMS company. For the last 7 years I have sat at a desk for up to 14 hours a day doing nothing to take care of myself. My weight loss journey started last September when our HR department issued a challenge to walk 100 extra steps a day for 100 days. I had a very unused treadmill in the garage so I said, why not.

On September 11, 2014, I weighed 330 pounds (I'm 6'4"), wore size 46 waist pants, was taking meds for high cholesterol, was on CPAP for sleep apena, and I started walking. Just 30 minutes for the first couple weeks, and then I thought to myself, I need a pedometer. I purchased a Fitbit Zip and started logging all my steps throughout the day. Then I read where I needed to be walking 10,000 steps a day. I set a new goal for myself. I also started using MFP to keep track of my calories. I won't bore you with all the details from that day to today, but I will tell you where I'm at today. This is day 188 with MFP, I currently weigh 240 pounds (my goal is 215), I am in a size 38 waist pants, my meds have been reduced by half, I no longer have to use CPAP at night, I am walking 5 to 10 miles a day, doing normal daily walking and intense treadmill workouts, and keeping my calories in check with MFP. AND I FEEL GREAT!!!

I would like to encourage everyone that you are never to old to get started on a weight loss/fitness journey. All it takes is dedication, commitment, and honesty (when using MFP). If your just starting out, join MFP and log all the food you eat in a day, and see how your numbers stack up against what MFP recommends. Then get started, doing your best to stay within the recommended guidelines. Yes, you are going to have days where you go way over. I'm sure those were special occasions, and you have a great time eating. They aren't failures!!! Just get back on track the next day. Believe me when I tell you, keeping you calories in check with MFP and walking 10,000 or more steps a day works.

Replies

• eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! Keep it up :smile:
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! You are an inspiration! Keep up the good work!!! B)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    So awesome, congratulations!
  • lisamasters4115
    Options
    Great advice! Im just signing up tonight and being 56 and trying to lose 25lbs seems daunting!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I tell people you are never too old to feel better :)
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Really awesome and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing. Losing 90 pounds is a true testament to what can be accomplished with hard work and dedication:)
  • andygcc30
    andygcc30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good on you inspirational keep it up.
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Keep up your good work.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wonderful read.... YAY you!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!