Need healthy fat suggestions

Options
mollypcv
mollypcv Posts: 13 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and am really loving it so far. A trend I've noticed just in the week I've been tracking is that I do not eat enough healthy fats. I usually have some low fat dressing and occasionally snack on almonds...but clearly need more options! Can you share some healthy fats you enjoy?
(edited to add that I eat peanut butter every morning with breakfast!)

Thanks!

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Avocado. My favorite. Very fattening, but healthy fat.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I love avocadoes.
    You could also use almond butter (on apples, celery, or anything else you feel like putting it on).
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    walnuts and pistachios
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You can use olive oil or sesame oil in your salads. There are also olives, flax seeds, salmon, eggs, coconut ... almonds are my favorite (I measure out a serving and snack on it whenever I want to munch on something).
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm - avacado - I love avacado - too much fat for me. But I can't eat just a slice. I'm all or none.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I cook with canola and olive oils, in addition to similar things that other posters have said. Sesame oil is a great garnish. Just make sure you pay attention to how you use the healthy fats because they aren't as heat tolerant as the saturdated icky fats and should be stored somewhere cool and in the dark. I get the smart balance peanut butter, so it has flaxseed oil added. I also started taking fish oil supplements at night for a boost.

You can get whole flaxseeds and add them to yogurt or oatmeal, too.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    hummus has great healthy fats
  • mollypcv
    mollypcv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks!
    I love hummus, I forgot about that one. I also take a fish oil supplement every morning.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    This is from the Mayo clinic webpage:

Monounsaturated fat Olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, nuts and seeds

Polyunsaturated fat Vegetable oils (such as safflower, corn, sunflower, soy and cottonseed oils), nuts and seeds

Omega-3 fatty acids Fatty, cold-water fish (such as salmon, mackerel and herring), flaxseeds, flax oil and walnuts

I wanted to add, Olives are a great healthy fat food, not to mention a great source of iron, fiber, vitamin E and copper. If you like hummus and you like olives you may like olive tapenade which is olives (any kind) some garlice and a little oil blended in the blender, you can put it on pita chips, bread, pasta, sandwiches or anything you like.