• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    tomsarno wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks there is not a set point your body tries to maintain should watch this video. It is long but very informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA374f8oDbE

Why is the best you can give some youtube video? No studies or anything? Then it might as well be some conspiracy theory video.

Guess you did not watch the whole thing

We don't have to, because it's bollocks.

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment proved that lowering calorie intake will overrule any metabolic adaptation made.

In addition, it has not been proved that metsbolic adaptations made by formerly obese people are permanent.

Set points are just another weak and feeble excuse used by people who don't like the fact that dropping below a certain calorie threshold can be unpleasant or that they cannot revert to their previous dietary habits once they achieve a lower weight and maintain that weight.

Enough.

You keep referencing this, but the idea of set point is NOT that it is impossible to get below your set point. ETA: The Minnesota Starvation Experiment really has nothing to say about set point.

You are correct about the metabolic adapations not yet shown to be permanent, but I think in the studies on this so far they haven't seen the adaptations alleviate.

The point is that there isn't a set point. Weight is purely a function of energy balance. If you do not give your body sufficient nutrients to construct new tissue then it will not do so.

As for the adaptations, I believe the longest comparator figures are at 18 months. This is simply not enough time to determine if any change in homeostasis is permanent or not.

It's an excuse used to enable peoples failures.

Yes, but Minnesota does not say anything about set point. You can't disprove set point by showing that people can starve.

Whether or not it is used as an excuse doesn't really have any bearing on its scientific merit.

MSE doesn't say anything explicit about set points. It does, however, blow the concept that people cannot lose weight or will revert to a particular weight out of the water, because it proves that metabolic adaptation does not override continued calorie deficit. Since the idea of a set point is based on plateau or reversion, it largely invalidates the concept as an excuse for being or getting fat.

If and when people are (misinterpreting) set point theory to say that the reason they can't lose weight and are fat is set point, then you get to point out MSE :)

• monkeykoder
    Options
    If there is a such thing as a "set point" (there isn't...) then I have at least 2. Once I get there I easily stay in the 155-165 range but if I eat too much for a while I bounce out and hit the 185-195 range.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I guess because of my background in treating eating disorders I've often seen with young women that they WANT to be thinner than their body naturally settles at, and this creates a lot of problems. In this case, we are talking underweight or low normal weight versus a weight range their body defends that is typically normal/high normal. In this case, set point theory is very useful in helping them to accept a higher weight than they would prefer, as they can see that the costs of maintaining a lower weight are very high.

I also think it is important and useful to examine the homeostatic mechanisms to be forewarned that weight loss is difficult to sustain and to really conceptualize it correctly - something that will require ongoing attention and focus, perhaps for the rest of your life, as there are myriad physiological and environmental factors that will support weight regain. Although it can of course be used as a reason to just give up, for me it is a reason to work even harder and to set in place as many habits (e.g., logging, regular weighing), environmental modifications, and physiological changes (e.g., strength training), as possible because this is a serious problem that requires dedication to address.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't naturally set at a weight. You might become set into a pattern where you eat the same amount of calories each day, and maintain a weight, but depending on if you eat more, or less, you will gain, or lose weight.

Period.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Agreed that set point is a theory, and something much more clearly seen in other creatures such as rats. In humans it is a lot less clear, probably more of a range than a precise weight if anything, and how well regulated may vary significantly by person. What seems most likely to me is that in some people the body actually regulates very effectively and maintains a set point pretty closely, in others the regulation is more asymmetrical. Set point could be mutable as well, for example if based on adipose cells, if there is proliferation then the regulatory "guide" would change.
  • girlviernes
    Options

In addition, I'd suggest that weight loss isn't difficult at all. Unpleasant? Yes. Boring? Definitely. But not difficult because, if nothing else, losing weight actually involves not doing something rather than doing it.

This is interesting. I'm actually not finding the weight loss process difficult either, nor unpleasant or boring. It takes a lot of effort, focus, planning, and prioritizing, there are both a lot of rewards and times when I have to deal with momentary frustration, disappointment, etc. Perhaps a better way to term it is that weight loss and weight loss maintenance is not the default. It will always take effort and attention. Whether or not that is "difficult" may depend to a large extent on your beliefs about the process.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks there is not a set point your body tries to maintain should watch this video. It is long but very informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA374f8oDbE

Why is the best you can give some youtube video? No studies or anything? Then it might as well be some conspiracy theory video.

Guess you did not watch the whole thing

We don't have to, because it's bollocks.

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment proved that lowering calorie intake will overrule any metabolic adaptation made.

In addition, it has not been proved that metsbolic adaptations made by formerly obese people are permanent.

Set points are just another weak and feeble excuse used by people who don't like the fact that dropping below a certain calorie threshold can be unpleasant or that they cannot revert to their previous dietary habits once they achieve a lower weight and maintain that weight.

Enough.

You keep referencing this, but the idea of set point is NOT that it is impossible to get below your set point. ETA: The Minnesota Starvation Experiment really has nothing to say about set point.

You are correct about the metabolic adapations not yet shown to be permanent, but I think in the studies on this so far they haven't seen the adaptations alleviate.

The point is that there isn't a set point. Weight is purely a function of energy balance. If you do not give your body sufficient nutrients to construct new tissue then it will not do so.

As for the adaptations, I believe the longest comparator figures are at 18 months. This is simply not enough time to determine if any change in homeostasis is permanent or not.

It's an excuse used to enable peoples failures.

It was 18 months, and on mostly obese/former obese who were sedentary over the whole time. I believe I've seen that regular exercise would eliminate that adaption from happening at all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it, until I just read about it. I don't agree. How else are people able to lose and maintain that loss, for years.
  • girlviernes
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I had never heard of it, until I just read about it. I don't agree. How else are people able to lose and maintain that loss, for years.

They may have been above set point and the loss returned them to set point. They may be continually practicing some restriction in order to overcome set point. The loss may be within a set point range. Or set point may not be a good explanation of human weight processes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have read a little about set point weight theory. Have you found there is a certain weight or weight range that you just easily stay at?

No, not unless I eat at maintenance. I can easily eat too much and gain weight, and I also lose weight easily.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

They may have been above set point and the loss returned them to set point. They may be continually practicing some restriction in order to overcome set point. The loss may be within a set point range. Or set point may not be a good explanation of human weight processes.

This part
  • girlviernes
    Options

This part

That made me chuckle
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For the past 7-10 years, 245-255 seems to be my range. I've worked hard, but 245 is as low as I go. That was working out 4 times a week, in a 500-600 calorie deficit, getting proper sleep and eating healthier. I tried cutting more calories, but it made me feel so weak and I had a hard time thinking and focusing. So yes, I believe there is a set point for me at least. I try to stay at 250lbs these days . 6'4", big frame/build, athletic.