Tired All The TIme

Options
2»

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You don't know what the problem is and yet you dismiss the chances of it being a keto diet causing it. You can't say for sure it isn't that causing you problems when you don't know what the cause is. Just because it worked before doesn't mean it it's working for you now. Sometimes your body can change how it responds to these things, it adapts. The same way doing the same workout routine and eating at the same calorie deficit can lead to a stall in results. It might very well not be your keto diet doing this, but don't rule it out when you're clearly unsure what the cause is.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Fatigue is one of those symptoms that can be caused by so many things there's no way for us to even begin to address them all.

When you wake up do you feel better than when you went to sleep? Or are you just as tired?

(I feel you on the pregnancy thing. I get that anything is possible but every time I mention not feeling well everyone tells me I must be pregnant. I have a couple of chronic illnesses so that's pretty often.)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do you drink enough water? I tend to get really tired when I don't have enough water the day before.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just like we need different types of essential amino acids and fatty acids, we need different types of sleep (REM and deep). A sleep study may should you are not getting the right type of sleep.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, if it IS the keto diet doing it then that's too bad, because I'm not switching off of keto.

Like I said, I WILL take a test if I have a missed period. I know the horror stories- you can still have a period and be pregnant. But I will not get my hopes up again. I know that seems silly, but I can't handle another let down.

I've made an appointment for my Gyn and I'll ask her to do some blood work. It may be that I am not drinking enough water, I ran out of ice and so I stopped drinking as much without noticing. I will try that.

When I wake up I feel... tired still. Idk. Although I went to be an hour earlier last night and this morning I felt great only to crash this afternoon. However I didn't have ANY caffeine today either.
  • neatoina
    neatoina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more electrolytes. I do Keto too and absolutely have to have my Morton's potassium salt as well as a bottle of magnesium and some pink Himalayan salt with me all the time. Anytime I feel like the flu is coming on or I have symptoms of hay fever and/or sandman eyes or I feel tired for absolutely no reason, I'll down some potassium and sodium. If I feel crampy in random places, I probably need magnesium. Usually my symptoms go away in less than 20 mins.

If you're on Keto, you need to be on top of your salt/electrolytes intake. No amount of caffeine and sleep are going to make you feel better. Also, drinking even more water (without replenishing your electrolytes) will make you more lethargic because every time you pee, you'll pee them out.

When you're eating carbs, your body is producing more insulin. Insulin tells your kidneys to retain water and salt. When you're in Ketosis, your insulin levels are lowered, so your body doesn't get the memo to retain water and salt. When your not holding onto your electrolytes, you feel like poop. Most people on Keto need between 5 and 7 grams of sodium per day (way more than a non-keto person).

You should read "Keto Clarity" by Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman. They go into a lot of detail about keeping your electrolytes in check while in Ketosis.

• Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did know about electrolytes and ketosis. I get a lot more sodium than most because of this. I will look over my food diary and see if maybe I haven't been getting as much as I thought. I drink powerade zero after work outs (and sometimes when I feel like I need it.) I haven't been able to find the potassium salt, but I'll shop around. Reach outside of my comfort zone store wise. But I do keep track of potassium and salt.

P.S. for those who insist I was pregnant, I just got my period right on schedule.