People don't like cardio...?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I have no clue as to others prior experiences w other posters....but to be so aggressive over someone's preference....wow. I've never seen rudeness til now. I've been on this site for years to. One person makes a comment then you all follow suit. Grow up a little.

I will not be talked to in such a manner by a dog
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I have no clue as to others prior experiences w other posters....but to be so aggressive over someone's preference....wow. I've never seen rudeness til now. I've been on this site for years to. One person makes a comment then you all follow suit. Grow up a little.
    Where the heck is the rudeness?
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Or request that they hurt themselves by falling out of a tree?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Only on MFP do we call out the people responding to someone's asinine comment.

beat me to it, but my thoughts as well.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Lulz, so checking back for that gold star!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Got a response, yes?

Just like her comment did. Welcome to MFP.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have not really heard that cardio itself it bad, more that you should have a balanced routine that includes resistance training in addition to cardio.

When it comes to weight loss some people find there is a fine cardio line, one side of the line they can use it to increase their deficit, but when they cross that line they develop a hard to control hunger than makes it tough for them to stick to their deficit. It varies form person to person where that line is.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Meh. I always amazed at how linear people are in their training.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I guess you missed the sarcasm part of that..?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio (like weight lifting) is for health and fitness. CICO is for weight loss. I'm not a cardio fan, but do it because as I age, I KNOW it's better for my heart. But I'd much rather weight lift because firm muscles look and feel better and I don't get that from just doing cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    This is pretty much my thought on the matter. I do extra cardio when I cannot get my food low enough- I don't HATE it- but lifting/dancing > cardio. So- I would rather do THOSE things than cardio- but I don't mind a nice crisp air run/sprints outside- the deadmill can suck it.
    Hornsby wrote: »

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

You always find a way to throw in a rude, backhanded comment don't you?

The opinion wasn't backhanded. I said exactly what I mean. And it wasn't meant to be rude, it's simply my opinion. Please don't take it as a judgement of what you do. I embrace diversity. Do what you enjoy.

you're not fooling anyone and I think we can leave it pretty much at that. Say what you want- but we all know better.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Shouldn't training depend on their goals? I realize that many people on this site are just trying to lose weight, but some of us are here with very specific goals and our training matches those goals (which makes our training fairly linear).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

That day you need one of those sweaty guys (probably not a stranger at that point) to open a jar or lift a box for you...

After age 35, people on average lose 1% of their muscle mass (and strength) per year. Lean muscle mass is one of the key indicators of longevity. Weight training also helps maintain bone density. Who wants to be frail when their old?

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm not one of those people. I love cardio and do more than 15 hours a week. I like putting those old wive's tales to the test like "you can't out exercise a bad diet..."... "Okay, but let me try". :)

This was (and somewhat still is) me, for the past three years. Hell-bent to be able to NOT have to do cardio. Well, it's just nicer to be able to eat more and cardio helps when I do. Plus, it's heart-healthy. I love being outdoors and now that it's spring, cardio will suck a bit less than being stuck inside. Thirty min a few times a week, supposedly won't kill me - but if it ends up doing that - then everyone I know who hears me whine about cardio....will take heed! Woulda, shoulda, coulda! LOL!

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If I had to go to a gym to exercise, I'd hate all of it. I lift at home and run outdoors. I like how running makes me feel when I'm doing it (stress relief, wind in my hair, running races, etc.). I like how lifting makes me when I'm not doing it (being strong, injury prevention, perky bottom, etc.). So I do both.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

some people prefer not to be a jack of all trades- master of none.

some people actually prefer being the master of one.

it's not "linear" its specificity.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

That day you need one of those sweaty guys (probably not a stranger at that point) to open a jar or lift a box for you...

After age 35, people on average lose 1% of their muscle mass (and strength) per year. Lean muscle mass is one of the key indicators of longevity. Weight training also helps maintain bone density. Who wants to be frail when their old?

I can't imagine anyone does. I'm not sure why you quoted me, unless you are suggesting a gym is required to maintain bone and muscle. It isn't.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

So, you admit to not knowing what you're talking about...then tell others to grow up?

Here's the thing: if you knew that particular poster's history, you'd understand why she got the reactions she did. And it'd probably be her that you were telling to grow up.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    all exercise stimulates the body's "chemical factory" the endocrine and exocrine... which processes all the nutrients your body extracts from the things you ingest... lots of cardio makes you an efficient machine.. able to go long periods of physical stress... weights.. makes you a strong machine.. capable of intense physical exertion for shorter periods of time... the ideal... is as in all things...balance.... good luck young grasshopper :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread... never change MFP. :star:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I can't imagine anyone does. I'm not sure why you quoted me, unless you are suggesting a gym is required to maintain bone and muscle. It isn't.

You’re the one who said you aren’t interested in picking up heavy things. Seems to mean you don’t train for strength or muscle mass. Or maybe you were just giving the lifters a rise.