c25k experiences

Options
I recently started the c25k and I was just wonder what other people's experience with it were.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It's really awesome. I did an 8 week version (speed it up a bit because my first 5k race was during the 8th week of C25K).It brought me from a complete non-runner to someone who ran a 5k in 28:39 in just 8 weeks:)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had a great experience with the program. It took me a bit longer than the 9 weeks due to illness, but I ended up being a runner. Two years later, I'm still running, and have done a ton of 5Ks, one 10K, and one half.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've also found it to be great. You just have to stick with it, don't start too fast or you won't be able to keep going in the later weeks and redo any weeks you find a real struggle. Good luck!
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Life changing. Now I want to run, I look forward to it, I never regret it. Enjoy!
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This makes me happy! I hate running but today completed week 4, Ive never been able to run for 5 minutes so this week was a bit of a break through for me although already wondering if i can do the 20 minute run at the end of week 5!

I really want to like running so am determined to see this through!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I completed it last September and worked up to running for 45-48 minutes. Then life kicked in and I quit running. When I tried to run again, I had no endurance at all. Pretty much all the stamina and endurance that I had built up- vanished... so am starting over. The funny thing is- I don't like to run while I am doing it, but once I am finished and have completed what I thought was impossible- I love it. Best of luck to you!
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I literally went from my couch (no running at all, ever basically) to doing a 5k run using the app. I managed every run w/o stopping, although only barely. It seemed to be perfectly set to push you every time w/o going too far.

The first time I saw that it wanted me to run 20 minutes straight with no walking breaks, I literally laughed out loud. But I did it.

I was 35 at the time and about 280lbs.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    This makes me happy! I hate running but today completed week 4, Ive never been able to run for 5 minutes so this week was a bit of a break through for me although already wondering if i can do the 20 minute run at the end of week 5!

I really want to like running so am determined to see this through!

This sounds just like me! The running for 5 minutes was a breakthrough for me - I never thought I could and then decided to keep pushing myself. I finished c25k a little over 2 years ago and since have worked my way up to a half marathon. For right now the half marathon distance is my limit. My favorite distance is a 15k. I had never run before starting the app. I didn't really like running until 9 months into running - I liked the way I felt after a run and liked the way my body was changing which is why I stuck with it.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 2 - not looking forward to running for 3 minutes on my next run, but I've given myself permission to walk if / when I get to the point that I can't run any longer, and to repeat any week as required, til I get better enough at it.
    I enjoy the music - it's a good motivator, and I like not having to take responsibility for timing the walking & jogging. It's nice to feel you're making progress. :smile:
  • ErinG6191
    ErinG6191 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love it- I have never been a runner but I used the program and am now running 3-4 miles comfortably, and I love running now. It took me longer than the program suggests, but I modified and took longer rest days in between when I felt like I needed it. I ran my first 5K in 31:12 (which is believe is around 10 minutes/mile) which blew me away. I am signed up to run a 7.2 mile race in my town in August and am hoping to do a Half-Marathon in October. Good luck to you! You will want to tell yourself to give up at times on the longer runs, but push through and you will feel amazing at the end. Add me for support/encouragement/advice if you'd like!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I found it to be an immensely helpful program. I repeated weeks, because my knees needed the extra time to adapt, so it took me longer to get through the program. But I'm glad I did it, because I'm still running. :drinker:
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It's great! I did it, then moved onto further distances and am running my second 10K race tomorrow!
  • BabyCerise
    BabyCerise Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, never been able to run more than a minute. Now I'm on week 5 day 3 and have to run 20 minutes in a row ! Good luck and don't give up ! this program is awesome !
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I've just finished week 2 - not looking forward to running for 3 minutes on my next run, but I've given myself permission to walk if / when I get to the point that I can't run any longer, and to repeat any week as required, til I get better enough at it.
    I enjoy the music - it's a good motivator, and I like not having to take responsibility for timing the walking & jogging. It's nice to feel you're making progress. :smile:
    Just go slow and pace your self. I did not think I could do the 3 minutes either. But it goes fast.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've started it several times and never made it past week 4 :embarassed:
    I have bad asthma and it seems like week 4 is my breathing limit. Not sure why. I can ride a bike for hours at a time, elliptical for an hour, walking for days (yes, exaggerating) but I start jogging and my lungs want to explode. I've had the same experience outside and on the treadmill.
    That being said, I plan to give it one more try once the doctor clears me to exercise again (just had surgery 2 weeks ago). Alot of my friends are runners and I'd love to be able to do 5k races with them.
    I did Warrior Dash a few years ago (walked alot of it, but cleared all of the obstacles) and I did one 5k several years ago (walked/jogged and finished in just under 45 minutes)
    Best of luck to you!! I know alot of people have had alot of good results with the program and I think it's one of the best to get you going!!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have started it. I started about a month ago and completed week 1. Then I got sick and did nothing for 2 weeks. So I started back last week. Finished week 1 again and now I am nervous about moving onto week 2. I'm pretty sure I can do it but what if I can't? I will be really disappointed. But I'll never know till I try.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I recently started the c25k and I was just wonder what other people's experience with it were.

I started it and quit c25k on FIVE Occasions. On the 6th time, I made it count. A year to the day i started c25k that 6th time, I ran my first marathon.

This program will change your life and any perceptions you have about what is truly possible.

Good luck , have fun and a wonderful future as a runner of any distance!
  • knewbegin
    knewbegin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This program is great! I have done it several times after stopping for long periods of times. Every time I finish the program I am running more confidently and stronger. The key, in my opinion, is to resist the temptation to run for longer or skip days, etc. In the beginning it may seem too easy, but trust the process and don't push ahead (if you have the time) I find that if I start running too hard, fast, or long when I haven't been running I don't find it as enjoyable and I am more likely to quit. The couch to 5k program really eases you into running in a way that will be enjoyable yet challenging for a new runner. Definitely give it a try!
  • Love4MN
    Love4MN Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I started it and quit c25k on FIVE Occasions. On the 6th time, I made it count. A year to the day i started c25k that 6th time, I ran my first marathon.

This program will change your life and any perceptions you have about what is truly possible.

Good luck , have fun and a wonderful future as a runner of any distance!
    This man is one of my running inspirations! :bigsmile:

I started c25k about a year and a half ago, and went from being an absolute non-runner to being able to complete a 5k, and I'm still runnin'. It's a great program. I followed it exactly, no shortcuts or extra runs, and came through in the allotted time and without injury. It was great! Made me feel so accomplished.

I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs on my iPhone - worked great.