Oxygen magazine could be going byebye

Options
Sapporo
Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
So the publisher shutdown today and we probably no longer have Oxygen magazine now. What other fitness magazine is about weight lifting for women like Oxygen? I have Women's Health and have seen Fitness and Self. Those are kinda soft. I liked the hardcore Oxygen so tell me there is another like it?

http://www.rxmuscle.com/articles/latest-news/8417-musclemag-closes-doors-declares-bankruptcy.html

Replies

• jabrock9
    jabrock9 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'd love to hear other suggestions as well. Love Oxygen! I will miss it.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Wow I just filled out an online survey about oxygen through Facebook this week. :(
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I know will not through out my magazines I had for 10 years or more........K xo
  • jabrock9
    jabrock9 Posts: 65
    Options
    Yeah, i just renewed my subscription. Completely bummed here! :(
  • Sapporo
    Options
    I bought it in store for a few months then only got 2 issues out of my subscription I just paid for. $39.99 for a year for Canadians. 40 bucks for 2 magazines! Maybe someone will buy it and keep it going, fingers crossed.

Anyhow, only suggestion I've been given so far is on Facebook, someone said Best Health.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Not sure what's happening, but Oxygen just posted on Facebook that it's only their Canadian office that closed, and that it will not affect the production of the magazine.

I guess we'll see.
  • TakeTimeToCare19
    Options
    I am devastated.
  • Sapporo
    Options
    Not sure what's happening, but Oxygen just posted on Facebook that it's only their Canadian office that closed, and that it will not affect the production of the magazine.

I guess we'll see.

I hope so! I see the message on the Canadian Oxygen FB page from the Americans, sounds like they can keep it going? Hopefully still deliver to Canadian subscribers.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Just read the men's magazines. All of the women's mags are BS. Oxygen was the best of the bunch, but fitness magazines are like razors. The worst of the men's is still better than the best of the women's.
  • TakeTimeToCare19
    Options
    Just read the men's magazines. All of the women's mags are BS. Oxygen was the best of the bunch, but fitness magazines are like razors. The worst of the men's is still better than the best of the women's.

Hilarious comparison but so freaking true.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

soooo true, which is why i switch back and forth between a mach 3 and a schick quattro
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

soooo true, which is why i switch back and forth between a mach 3 and a schick quattro

and cheaper too. Today got a set of 3 mach 3 for $5. 3 venus (same thing): $14.

all women's magazines are awful, period.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Muscle and Fitness Hers is a close second to Oxygen but frankly I don't think it has as much valuable information.

I've been trying to renew Oxygen for a while, alas it looks like no website is allowing subscriptions anymore so they must really be down and out. Not even the magazine's website has a functional renewal link anymore.

:(

Guess I'd better buy up their last issue at the grocery while I can. Too bad I missed the abs special issue.

***rant***warning***

Gotta admit, I loathe most women's magazines with a passion. They're vain, overly commercialized garbage selling the idea that you need to buy endless amounts of terribly overpriced, dainty stuff to have a happy life. When I buy a magazine I'm often paying to look at someone's shopped pictures of clothes, lamps, purses, etc that I'm supposed to want. It's a waste of sense! And all of those useless health snippets they pull from scientific studies and post in bubbly talk - such as "eat your strawberries !" or "vitamin water is good for you!" are pointless.

The worst part is when the popular women's health magazines post wimpy fitness programs that show genetically pretty, Eastern European clones lifting 3 lb dumbbells. Nobody is going to help out their muscles or bone mass with those low weights. And most of these women just looked like natural ectomorphs with very little muscle tone. Sure they're lovely to look at but women are more than looks and some publishing head probably thinks if a girl's magazine is cutesy and the models are hot that it doesn't actually have to have anything of substance in it for the people who do work out. Oxygen actually had an array of physiques from all sorts of females - tall, short, bulky, slim - and they were all so very fit; you know they worked for it and challenged themselves.
    And it's just so freaking awesome to see a lady with power.

/rant off.
  • jessihoover
    Options
    I wanted to subscribe because it looked fab! Their website wouldnt let me, so I called a 1-800 # on their website. A recorded message said that the company went out of business and everyone was laid off. No more magazine. Sad :( I signed up for Shape I guess...I was considering Muscle & Fitness Hers but their website seemed for figure competitors & bikini models...all of which I AM NOT!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

LOL, I never buy women's razors!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd heard rumors but it sounds like it's true. Glad I didn't renew my subscription. So M & F Hers is really the only women's lifting magazine left. :(
  • littledavis02
    Options
    i am sitting here with the july issue and can't believe this is it! i hope somebody does something to keep it going:glasses:
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    nooooooooooo !! i buy every issue,
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Men's fitness mags may be great for the eye candy (from a woman's perspective), but they're junk as far as fitness advice. Thinly-disguised supplement catalogs with ridiculous lifting routines designed by pro bodybuilders who are pumped up on steroids.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to read Oxygen but have switched to advice aimed at men for fitness. I think women have a real shot at competing equally with men, but the treatment they receive in the realm of sports and fitness media has created a mental block for women.

I'm fairly sure, there is no scientific reason why women cannot compete equally with men. Right now, it is a proven fact that women out swim men in open water events. It seems reasonable that in other events that require extra energy storage in the form of increased body fat percentages (like, all sports pretty much) women have the capacity to out perform men of similar stature.

If you want to geek out a little bit about women competing directly with men, here's a handy link:
    http://www.vaswim.org/OW_women_v_men.pdf