Ok, someone please tell me why diet soda isn't good for you.......

Options
SillyCat1975
SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I know I should drink more water, I truly could adjust if I wanted to, I can put a little pack of splenda in there, but what's so bad about the diet soda? Haha, I find it funny being a nurse and asking this question.. How does not drinking it contribute to weight loss?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with diet soda.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    How does not drinking it contribute to weight loss?

It does not contribute to weight loss.

If you enjoy drinking diet soda and are not having issues with dehydration, by all means, continue.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some people don't like the aspartame in diet sodas. Here's a thread that used to be stickied on the subject.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The only thing really wrong with diet soda is the incredible amount of acid it contains, and the damage it does to your teeth, especially if you sip it throughout the day. I've read it's best to have any acidic drink with a meal or at least drink it fairly quickly, so you can rinse your mouth or chew sugar free gum to reduce the acid.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners. It isn't good FOR ME to drink sweet things, or to eat sweet things in excess of what I can justify the calories in sugar for.

Phosphoric acid in cola-flavored soda (diet or non) may contribute to osteoporosis, tooth decay or kidney disease, but last I looked, the studies were pretty mixed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 or 2 diet sodas everyday. I drink plenty of water too. Drinking several cans of (any) soda all day long isn't very good for your teeth. Carbonation is hard on the enamel. Plus colas can be acidic (if you have reflux issues).

Drinking water is a good habit to learn (if you can). Not having to have something sweet or flavored all day long isn't a bad thing.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I seen someone else make this statement and it made me curious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My grandson's orthopedist said absolutley no soda because it is bad for bones. I'm not sure if that is only for growing bones though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know I should drink more water, I truly could adjust if I wanted to, I can put a little pack of splenda in there, but what's so bad about the diet soda? Haha, I find it funny being a nurse and asking this question.. How does not drinking it contribute to weight loss?

"Good for you" and "contributes to weight loss" are not the same thing, of course.

Should you drink water, mostly? YES. And as a nurse you know that.
    Can you drink a diet soda each day and be okay. Probably.
    Can you substitute most or all of your water with diet soda and that be a good thing?
    NO.

• SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Scientists forced fed mice an obscene amount of aspartame and determined it raised their risk of cancer. Too much sun also can increase risk of cancer, but no one recommends to live in a cave forever.

Artificial sweeteners have also been shown to cause an insulin response like real/digestible sweeteners. I'm not sure what the effect of that actually is though.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of controversy about whether the artificial sweeteners pose dangers -- and perhaps enough recent science to show they don't -- but these are the two reasons I gave up Diet Coke. 1. Sweet tastes from artificial sweeteners make me crave more sweet stuff. My appetite goes whacko. This is true of some but not all of us. 2. My dental hygienist spends less time in my mouth. She can definitely tell I gave it up. She's a nice person but I really don't want to be in her chair any longer than necessary.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    The only thing really wrong with diet soda is the incredible amount of acid it contains, and the damage it does to your teeth, especially if you sip it throughout the day. I've read it's best to have any acidic drink with a meal or at least drink it fairly quickly, so you can rinse your mouth or chew sugar free gum to reduce the acid.
    Only people with bad oral hygiene need worry about this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In this study artificial sweeteners did not trigger an insulin response. Participants who ingested artificial sweeteners did not overcompensate with food.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666310000826
    Or here:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168822786800250
    Or here:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/002604959090254A
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with diet soda.

/Thread

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't cause you to crave other sweets, there is nothing wrong with diet sodas.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My grandson's orthopedist said absolutley no soda because it is bad for bones. I'm not sure if that is only for growing bones though.
    Bone density and strength are more dependent on the stress on them and not because of soda. If one is getting enough calcium (and it doesn't just have to be through dairy product) along with physical exercise to strengthen bone density, soda consumption shouldn't matter much. It SHOULD matter if soda is all that your grandson wants to drink.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Previously, I said,
    Sweet tastes from artificial sweeteners make me crave more sweet stuff. My appetite goes whacko. This is true of some but not all of us.

Jgnatca then pointed out,
    In this study artificial sweeteners did not trigger an insulin response. Participants who ingested artificial sweeteners did not overcompensate with food.

As an old professor/mentor taught me, when it comes to questions involving people, the Universal Answer is some do, some don't, the differences aren't very great, and it's more complicated than that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Previously, I said,
    Sweet tastes from artificial sweeteners make me crave more sweet stuff. My appetite goes whacko. This is true of some but not all of us.

Jgnatca then pointed out,

As an old professor/mentor taught me, when it comes to questions involving people, the Universal Answer is some do, some don't, the differences aren't very great, and it's more complicated than that.
    Well it's actually true about the insulin response which is why the ADA recommends diet soda to diabetics as a great substitute.

If it's making you crave more sweet stuff, then it's more than likely a personal response rather than a chemical/hormonal one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If it doesn't cause you to crave other sweets, there is nothing wrong with diet sodas.
    I've never had this ever. Love me a good diet pepsi lime, oh yum!

Though, my argument last week with a friend that she claims diet pop makes one fat... then eventually says because she can't control what else she eats while she drinks said diet pop.
    :unamused:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Can you substitute most or all of your water with diet soda and that be a good thing?
    NO.

Why not? It's mostly water.