How important are macros.

How important is it to hit your macros goals? Would paying attention to macros be of more importance to someone trying build muscle? Does reaching your daily macros goals make for better weight loss?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    The quantity of food dictates weight.
    Quality dictates level of leanness.

That said,if you are lean, macro counting can help get you leaner.
    If counting macros brings stress and anxiety, probably safe to say its not for you.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    For general weight loss (i.e. you just want to be smaller) and no medical conditions, nada.
    For body composition, fitness goals, of any type of medical condition that requires low-fat or low-carb or low-protein, quite important. Macros should be based on your goals and personal stats.

If you're trying to build muscle thouhg, not sure why you posted in the weight loss section since you won't build muscle on a deficit.
  • Macro counting works for me...
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Hitting your macro goals gives you assistance in eating a balanced diet, which your body needs. Depriving your body of needed protein or fats can have a detrimental effect not only on your body but on your mind. Depriving carbs will reduce your energy levels and also possibly slow all processes in your body unless you really go low on carbs and enter a ketosis state where energy will be produced from the excess protein. So does it make for better weight loss. I do believe so do the balanced nature of the foods you will be eating making your body work optimally vs if you just ate 100% of your calories from sugars ;)
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    I don't think its essential but it definitely helps. Everyone is different, use trial and error to find out what works for you. If you're trying to build muscle you really need to pay attention to them. I found I wasn't getting enough fats so added 50g a day of peanuts to my diet and added 20kg to my dead lift in 4 weeks. Never would have made that realisation if I wasn't paying attention to my macros.