Is it normal to get this bloated?!

Options

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think you need to see a doctor, a g.i dr. You may have some food intolerances. I think being that bloated is not normal. I used to get so bloated like 6 months prego bloated! Try to take a gas pill or phazyme after you eat it may be gas buildup in your tummy. That worked for me when I eat something to trigger it that bad. I have ibs c so I know about it a bit.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah that doesn't seem normal to me. I'd take measurements at specific times of the day for a few weeks and keep an accurate food diary with the times you ate each food. And take that info to the doctor. Maybe also take daily pictures. The doctor can help more if shr or he can see exactly what's happening.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Some foods make me bloat, like raw carrots! Check your food diary and look for a pattern
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Look into FODMAPS to work out what isn't agreeing with you. I can't tolerate fructose and end up like you then IBS too.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I hope I'm not out of line but...that is some serious bloat, OP. Can we see a before bloat pic?

Of course you're not... I literally look as though I could be 6 months pregnant hahaha. I'll post a pic tomorrow when/if it's gone down.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It goes down right?
  • noobletmcnugget
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    Yeah that doesn't seem normal to me. I'd take measurements at specific times of the day for a few weeks and keep an accurate food diary with the times you ate each food. And take that info to the doctor. Maybe also take daily pictures. The doctor can help more if shr or he can see exactly what's happening.

I'll try and keep track of my bloating on my diary for a while and will arrange a doctor's appointment. I have no idea how I'd narrow down the foods causing it if it is IBS though - it feels like this happens most of the time, irrespective of what I eat.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It goes down right?

Lol it usually goes down significantly by the morning. But then as soon as I eat something I get bloated again. Today was pretty extreme though haha.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm going to keep track of when I bloat worst and see a doctor to see if they think it could be IBS or something. Ugh.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Do you bloat like this every day or have you noticed it happens 1 week per month? Some women bloat right before their period. I bloat for a week before my ovulation.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am having this problem lately...after every single meal. And unfortunately, I think I'm about to find out its due to wheat and dairy. Apparently, there is a reason low-ish carb, no grain nutrition plans work for me. I've also been at an insane deficit for the past 3 weeks with no loss to show for it (8lb gains in 2 days, etc). I could go back to eating 1000 calories a day and burning roughly 4000, but that sucked...I'm worried that is the only way I will see downward movement on the scale.

I'm considering a an appt with the doc soon.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Do you bloat like this every day or have you noticed it happens 1 week per month? Some women bloat right before their period. I bloat for a week before my ovulation.

It's worse a week or two before my period (I think mine should be due in about 10 days atm) but it's still really bad the rest of the time as well.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Bukawww wrote: »
    I am having this problem lately...after every single meal. And unfortunately, I think I'm about to find out its due to wheat and dairy. Apparently, there is a reason low-ish carb, no grain nutrition plans work for me. I've also been at an insane deficit for the past 3 weeks with no loss to show for it (8lb gains in 2 days, etc). I could go back to eating 1000 calories a day and burning roughly 4000, but that sucked...I'm worried that is the only way I will see downward movement on the scale.

I'm considering a an appt with the doc soon.

That really sucks! It definitely sounds like you must have some sort of intolerance if you find it improves when you cut certain foods out. I don't think that should mean you have to strive for crazy deficits though to lose weight. I'm sure a visit to the doctor will help :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

I'll try and keep track of my bloating on my diary for a while and will arrange a doctor's appointment. I have no idea how I'd narrow down the foods causing it if it is IBS though - it feels like this happens most of the time, irrespective of what I eat.

Kymmu mentioned FODMAPS and it is definitely something to look into if you end up thinking IBS. I have struggled SO badly with bloating and other TMI issues until I finally capitulated and tried the low FODMAPS elimination diet. It was like magic! I'm still working on figuring out which foods are okay for me, which ones I can get away with very small amounts of and which ones just need to be gone forever. It's not easy but for me it's been worth it but then I have more issues than just bloating. I hope you get it figured out!
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I hope I'm not out of line but...that is some serious bloat, OP. Can we see a before bloat pic?

Finally got round to taking an unbloated pic haha. Pretty big difference.

fb0lvxvphh7x.jpg
  • lt13171
    lt13171 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try taking probiotics before you go to bed, such as acidophilus. It's proven to help with bloating :) I take them every night and it seems to have helped me!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, I've usually gained 5-6 inches round my stomach by bed time. Even if I don't eat all day I gain a couple of inches by the evening. My body looks really similar to your before & after pictures too. I'm not sure I'd ever have the patience or discipline to find out if there's any particular trigger food for me, though. I'm happy to deal with it how I do currently, just not eat until dinner if I want to look particularly good one day lol (then stuff my face at dinner haha).
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A regular bloated but that's a pretty bad bloat. Are you feeling any issues outside of just bloating in appearance? Gassy, bowel issues, cramps, etc? I have some intolerances that make me bloat but they just so happen to be my favorite foods so I just deal with it. Probiotics do seem to help and staying away from fizzy drinks.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, I've usually gained 5-6 inches round my stomach by bed time. Even if I don't eat all day I gain a couple of inches by the evening. My body looks really similar to your before & after pictures too. I'm not sure I'd ever have the patience or discipline to find out if there's any particular trigger food for me, though. I'm happy to deal with it how I do currently, just not eat until dinner if I want to look particularly good one day lol (then stuff my face at dinner haha).

yeah, me, too. Your bloat photo looks like me after a HUGE meal, your regular one like me if I'm sucking it in a bit....

Do you tend to pass a lot of gas after the big bloats, or does it seem to dissipate overnight without a lot of pain or wind?
  • conquerthemountain
    conquerthemountain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, OP! It's the difference between my jeans fitting in the morning.. and then it's game over by 10a. I hope you find some relief! Following. :)