I'm addicted to fast food!

Options
I just want to vent. IM ADDICTED TO FAST FOOD!!! I eat fast food almost everyday day of the week, sometimes two to three times a day. I like to eat out at different restaurants & sometimes I eat when I'm not exactly hungry for a big meal, but simply a snack, yet I still opt for the burger with fries. I know that it's all bad for me but I still eat it & it seems like the more I think about how bad I'm doing my body & how much I want to lose weight, the more I actually eat. I want to change very badly. In the month of January I had lost 8lbs by counting my calories, exercising etc. but since then I've gained it back. The worst part about all of this is that I'm conscious about my weight and what I eat. I criticize myself about it all the time to the point where I feel like crap but It seems like I can't change. I am my own worst enemy & I believe that I will die one day due to what I put into my body. I really need advice. How do you stop the urge of eating fast food.

Replies

• Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I understand you , how about you keep tab of how much money you spend on fast food . After calculating the money I spend on trash I was horrify. It seems like the numbers I lost from wallet went to my scale.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fish & Fries. I can eat this every day of the week.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. It is very hard to break that habit. I find that the more you eat it the more you will crave it. Once i decided to go cold turkey without it for a week or two i started eating much better.

Now when i stop for fast food, i usually get an unsweetened iced tea & grilled chicken wrap or salad instead of a soda, burger & fries. Occasionally i will indulge in the burger & fries but i get the little value meal sizes & stick with the unsweetened tea. It saves a lot of calories.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    oh honey I could have written your post. I know exactly how you feel!! In order to change, you have to change your brain.....fast food is hard to kick. I go to counseling and I attend OA, which has helped me in so many ways. I had to quit cold turkey, and trust me, you will go through withdrawal symptoms, but they DO pass....trust me!!! it gets easier the longer you stay away from it. you can also try picking "better" options when you do go to fast food places. wendy's for instance has a great new flatbread sandwich with honey mustard and is good and filling! I eat it when I'm in a hurry or out of town and don't have access to anything but fast food. feel free to message me, and I will try to help you through this. trust me, if I can kick my habit, anyone can. xoxo
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Eat less of it. Fit it into your diet. Get some veggies. No. Big. Deal.

Stressing and beating yourself up about won't help you. It's part of a cycle of binge, guilt, binge that so many people on here seem to follow. Stop it. It's food, not religion.
  • Vuio
    Vuio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am craving fast food, I normally just get the main part of the combo and opt not to get the fries or the drink. Sure the Cheeseburger is not healthy for you but you are cutting out the calories from the drink and the fries which can easily add up to nearly 700-800 calories alone. That could be a start for you.
  • the_only_solution
    the_only_solution Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with the money aspect...maybe put the money you would have spent in a glass jar so you can watch it grow...and in another glass jar, remove buttons (or red shredded paper, whatever). Imagine the one you are emptying is your cholesterol/BP/weight. Also, have you seen the documentary "Super Size Me"? Interesting stuff. In fact, there are several docs about commercial fast food that may make you sick enough to stop or slow down. :) Best of luck.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    look at that 5lb loss. if you keep doing what you're doing, that 5 will not get bigger, but vanish. what i did was look up the calories in all my favorite things, and look at the size. was it worth it? was that little thing worth $10? then, after adding all the calories, i looked up what weighed that much.

91271722-260x260-0-0_ArmourArmourLardCarton1Pound48PackArmour_zps6dda31a8.jpg

SNF12MOT3lard_731289a-vi_zps56046b32.jpg

pretty bad huh? and that's what fast food is cooked in and made of. you're just putting that big block of lard into you. it was hard for me to stop eating fast food at first, but then i kept looking up what was really in the "food" and how it was prepared. if you want to have it once in a while, try something that doesn't have a drive thru and think do you really need it as opposed to want. go for subway, port of subs, Baja fresh. pita pit. good luck
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    When I have fast food (and honestly, I still have it fairly often), I go to their website first and look up the nutritional information. I then go ahead and pre-log my meal and if it still seems reasonable to me, then I'll go buy it and eat it.

You might decide that you need to give it up cold turkey. Or maybe you just need to take responsibility for the fast food calories, just like all your other calories.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cooking your own versions at home? Often I find making it at home tastes better, is cheaper, and healthier. Nothing wrong with wanting a burger or French fries, but how they are made can make a huge difference. If its the convenience you can bring a personal crock pot to work and make anything from stew, to enchaladas.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Eat less of it. Fit it into your diet. Get some veggies. No. Big. Deal.

ftw
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    38530526.jpg
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    Well from your story ..Its not physical hunger ..u eat because u feel bad about ur self or something else u are trying to express something by eating ..listen to your negative thoughts and understand them instead of fighting them coz they are going to be there no matter how hard u try to defeat them its just our mind defensive mechanism and try to express ur feelings in a different way ...i dont want to get into psychological stuff but as a summary Don't let ur feelings and thoughts control you and remember why are u trying to lose weight and always keep that reason in ur head
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh... so many addictions.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to learn to cook.
  • V4everfit
    V4everfit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that I spend at least $50 on fast food a week and I agree I'm going to budget my purse. Thanks!
  • V4everfit
    Options
    I just needed to get that off of my chest & tell someone how I feel about my eating habit. I feel better knowing that so many people had good advice & suggestions. I'm headed to the gym now ????& I'll take your advice & try my best to quit cold turkey! Thanks!????
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was eating it every day.... I had friends who worked there so i go it for free..... it was really bad... I felt like I was 100 years old and was sick all the time... i would try to quit... go a day before id have to eat fast food again. But you need to try to get away from it...
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 288
    Options
    I used to eat fast food almost every day too. I truly think that the only way you can break that habit is to change your mind. Your mind is where all change starts and continues. Only you can make it come true. Once you decide to make the change then take your first action, write down the change you want post it somewhere you will see it multiple times a day and when you see it say it again reaffirm that you will make the change.

You might want to watch some videos on youtube with Tony Robbins and listen to what he says if you don't like him find another motivational speaker

Where your mind goes your *kitten* will follow!!!
  • V4everfit
    Options
    I used to eat fast food almost every day too. I truly think that the only way you can break that habit is to change your mind. Your mind is where all change starts and continues. Only you can make it come true. Once you decide to make the change then take your first action, write down the change you want post it somewhere you will see it multiple times a day and when you see it say it again reaffirm that you will make the change.

You might want to watch some videos on youtube with Tony Robbins and listen to what he says if you don't like him find another motivational speaker

Where your mind goes your *kitten* will follow!!!

I'll look that up tonight thanks!