Coconut Oil for Weight Loss?

Options
Hello, everyone!

I've read a lot about coconut oil as a an aide for weight loss. I know it's got a lot of fat (the good kind as well) and a lot of calories. So is it worth it to add it to your diet? I've been eating a tablespoon in the morning, and I feel like I have a lot of energy, but I am wondering if it's simply a placebo effect. Anyone have good results from it?

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your doing it wrong.

It only helps weight loss when you are turned to the east, stand on one foot and take it at 3 minutes past 12AM.

Joking hehehe :)

Nah it is good stuff but nothing magical to it. When you like it use it. As long you are in calorie deficit you lose weight that is all there is too it. So it wont speed your weight loss or something.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Eating coconut oil with not affect your loss one way or another unless you don't account for that 120 calories you are adding to your daily intake.
  • jholloway05
    jholloway05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am still logging it in my diary and staying under calorie. I know weight loss is a numbers game. I was just curious if it really sustains energy or if I'm seeing it through rose colored glasses.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am still logging it in my diary and staying under calorie. I know weight loss is a numbers game. I was just curious if it really sustains energy or if I'm seeing it through rose colored glasses.

It's supposed to help your metabolism and curb appetite . I've used it tons , And notice a difference .... But I've been using grape seed oil . I think I'm going to go back to my coconut oil I miss it ! ☺️
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1. Fats increase satiety, so increasing your fat intake can help you eat less overall, because you feel more satisfied.
    2. Coconut oil has a high smoke point, so it's good for frying and sauteing at high temps.
    3. It has medium chain triglycerides, and there's some evidence that this may have a positive impact on insulin resistance and dementia...but the jury is still out on this, it has not been proven conclusively, studies are small and sometimes conflicting, so take this with a grain of salt.
    4. It's not a magic bullet, but it is a nice alternative to other cooking oils, or even butter in baked goods. It usually retains some coconut taste, though, so try to keep that in mind when deciding what to use it with. It's not great for roasted potatoes, but it's nice with sweet potatoes or carrots. It's great on fish and shrimp with sweeter spice mixes. It's not as great when sauteing spinach or other greens, particularly with savory herbs and spices.
  • jholloway05
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »

It's supposed to help your metabolism and curb appetite . I've used it tons , And notice a difference .... But I've been using grape seed oil . I think I'm going to go back to my coconut oil I miss it ! ☺️

Glad to hear good results! I really enjoy it in my morning coffee, and I am fine just having that until lunch. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on!
  • jholloway05
    Options
    1. Fats increase satiety, so increasing your fat intake can help you eat less overall, because you feel more satisfied.
    2. Coconut oil has a high smoke point, so it's good for frying and sauteing at high temps.
    3. It has medium chain triglycerides, and there's some evidence that this may have a positive impact on insulin resistance and dementia...but the jury is still out on this, it has not been proven conclusively, studies are small and sometimes conflicting, so take this with a grain of salt.
    4. It's not a magic bullet, but it is a nice alternative to other cooking oils, or even butter in baked goods. It usually retains some coconut taste, though, so try to keep that in mind when deciding what to use it with. It's not great for roasted potatoes, but it's nice with sweet potatoes or carrots. It's great on fish and shrimp with sweeter spice mixes. It's not as great when sauteing spinach or other greens, particularly with savory herbs and spices.

Totally made the mistake of trying to cook eggs with it once... Now, I only use it in baked goods. But generally speaking, I just have some in my morning coffee to get (and keep) me going until lunch. Being a teacher, lunch is sometimes at 3:00.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend... ;)
  • BikiniSemancik
    Options
    Google is your friend... ;)

Yes .... we're all aware of Google. Sometimes it's nice to get answers form real people and have discussions .... that's what this forum if for. ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you eat a tablespoon of fat?

Straight up?

Not like using it to make stuff with, just like...off the spoon? *boggle*

But why?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry, you eat a tablespoon of fat?

Straight up?

Not like using it to make stuff with, just like...off the spoon? *boggle*

But why?

It sounds like she stirs it into her coffee. :sick:

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i get enough fat in my diet without deliberately adding it LOLOLOLOL
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    BikiniSnark? Hangry? Geeze.....
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Coconut oil is a fat and like all fats it contains 9 calories per gram. It does not do anything to Aid, promote or affect weight loss or energy that any other fat or 9 calories of fat, protein or sugar doesn't do.

That said coconut oil does have a desirable makeup of saturated, poly and mono saturated fats which makes it considered a healthy fat and has a high flash point so it is better then some other oils for cooking. You can also get it unrefined so it has a coconut flavor to it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss; not magical oils...
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    True ndj. I just googled to confirm it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have coconut oil in my cupboard....to make my own bubble bath and bath bombs...not for my coffee... :s
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Its as good for weight loss as a spoonful of lard or butter.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Totally made the mistake of trying to cook eggs with it once... Now, I only use it in baked goods. But generally speaking, I just have some in my morning coffee to get (and keep) me going until lunch. Being a teacher, lunch is sometimes at 3:00.

There are ones that don't have the coconut taste. I've found it so much easier to cook my eggs in it than in butter, they would alwasy stick to the pan with butter.