Why am I slim yet wide? Should I lose more weight? What to do? Help!

Options

Replies

• KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That can be fixed with exercise. Try lifting weights, full body moves like squats and deadlifts, pushups and pullups, overhead press and rows. You can work on rounding out your butt and shoulders, and that will make your curves more balanced.
    Thanks!
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have looked and looked. I don't see any wide! You are fine. Listen to me. You are fine. You have a curve between your top and bottom, which is exactly the way a woman should look. If you are measuring yourself by the stick figure models who have to fit into a size 0, you don't need to be doing that! You are beautiful. I would kill for your body, which I will NEVER have, no matter how much I lose. And please be happy with all the work you've done and what you've lost. You don't have to answer to anyone else. That 'wide' that you see is your BONE structure! They are not going to get unwide! Which, again, you are not wide. You are not. Now enjoy all those pretty clothes you can wear, the bikini you can wear. You. Are. Not. Wide. :)
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    both girls and guys like wide thingsss
  • denden736
    denden736 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sucks to hear but its all genetics. just the way your body was made and your bone structure. you still have way more curve than me and i'm at 17% bf so its definitely not changing on my end haha
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have one more question though. Will I always have my flat bum and flat chest due to my shape or is there a way to fix that? Are there ways to shape my bum and chest better without surgery? Like a special diet or exercise?

Heavy weightlifting - particularly, heavy squats - can help lift and shape your bum, though some of that is always going to be determined by genetics. I've always had a large behind but I have noticed it's gotten more shapely and perky since I started lifting weights.

Unfortunately for the chest, there's not much that you can do that I know of. If you discover the secret, please let me know *grumble*

But yeah, the other thing I was going to suggest if you're not happy with your body is to try body recomposition (meaning you don't lose any more weight, but attempt to "tone up" by putting on some muscle). You can never change your natural bone structure - so you probably won't end up looking less "wide" - but body recomp can help with things like shaping your booty. For that you'd want to pretty much cut out cardio and focus on strength building.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wide...where?

I see long-waisted and no curves at all, but I don't see anything wide.

My guess is that you might look more attractive in separates than in dresses. A padded bra could help too. However, there is nothing WRONG with the way you look. You look fit, healthy and quite thin.

You are not seeing yourself realistically.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ok sorry for worrying so much. I just wish I was more narrow. You know like athletic built. I envy busty women [who's bust and shoulders are wider than their lower half].

you cant narrow you hips beyond the hip structure, you can widen your shoulders by putting muscle on them. Swimmers for example, have the look i think you are looking for, lots of hard work to look like that though.
  • azulvioleta6
    edited April 2015
    Options

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think you have a very enviable figure. Really, you do not look "wide" to me at all. I think the things you are unhappy with are genetics, although truly I think you have a really nice, slim hourglass shape. You look quite slim to me but with a nice defined waist. It's very shapely.

I am pear shaped. No matter how small I get, I am still gonna be pear shaped. That's just life. It's hard to deal with though. We are our own worst critics.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    How are you seeing hourglass? Absolutely not an hourglass in any sense.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    gonna be pear shaped. It's hard to deal with though.

6pu1wl745t58.jpg

i thought pear shaped was desirable?
    pears are awesome
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

In the photos, it appears that her bust and hip measurements are toughly equal, and her waist is at least ten inches smaller. That is the definition of hourglass figure. Hourglass figures come in all sizes. It's about proportion, not size.

OP, you are not wide. You have a very nice figure. Stop focusing on what others have that you don't have and never will and be happy with what you do have. Envy is the root of unhappiness.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options

OK. I was complimenting her. She has a nice tiny waist. That, to me who is not an hourglass, looks pretty hourglassy. I agree she has a long torso, but her waist nips in to my observation. It is my opinion that she looks curvy because of that.
    You seem very contrary today. Bad day? You've always seemed pretty nice in the confessions thread.
    Sorry you didn't agree with my compliments to her. My question to you: Does it matter if she is an hourglass or not? Is nitpicking my compliment to her furthering the conversation somehow?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm new to MFP. I've lost so much weight over the months. I'm close to being underweight honestly. My stomach is flat and so is my chest now and and bum and so on but what I don't understand is why am I still wide. I see other women who weigh more than me yet are narrow [below]. I'm trying to narrow myself down below but no matter how much I exercise, eat healthy and lose weight I remain the same width. WHY? Sorry for freaking out. Here are example pics.

2lvipew.jpg

2njy9nb.jpg
    Look how wide I am [below] in this pic! But I am so slim from a side view. I don't get it. How can I become less wide?
    :neutral:

You have a fantastic woman's figure. You don't look wide. I used to feel the same way about my figure (when I'm at goal weight). It was all in my head. Also, your slim waist accentuates your figure. Embrace it. You look great.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You look great, as you just have naturally curvy hips. That is normal in women! Please don't stress about it, because it is your bone structure and not fat.

I have an hourglass shape and even if I got to be a very low weight, I'd still have big hips and shoulders so wide you'd think I play for the NFL lol. Nothing will change that, and that's OK. Love yourself as you are. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »

In the photos, it appears that her bust and hip measurements are toughly equal, and her waist is at least ten inches smaller. That is the definition of hourglass figure. Hourglass figures come in all sizes. It's about proportion, not size.

OP, you are not wide. You have a very nice figure. Stop focusing on what others have that you don't have and never will and be happy with what you do have. Envy is the root of unhappiness.

I was thinking the same thing. How is that not an hourglass? LOL Which, by the way OP, being hourglass is a not a bad thing. You look great. :)
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    That's not "wide", that's "wow!".
  • iris_79
    iris_79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem with how you're seeing your figure is that the drop-waist style of the gown in your photograph is very unflattering to your (and most people's) shape. I wouldn't say you look "wide" in either picture, but you look better in the athletic clothes because your waist is defined. Your body doesn't need to change; you should just accentuate it differently. :)
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would love to look like that !!! When I'm skinny, I have ZERO shape. I look like a cardboard box lol. You have nothing to worry about.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You look great! What you are seeing is YOUR body shape. Can't change that.

I'm not wide and I don't have a very prominent waist....I'm deep....have a very deep ribcage. I also have very muscular quads and calves on a short frame. Thus I will never be a petite woman. No exercise will change that. But I love my athletic build and those legs carry me up any hill! I am happy with the strong and fit person that has appeared after my weightloss. It's a far from 'perfect' body, but it's the only one I have.

Those are the cards we are dealt. Learn to love it!