Is there a cap on how much I can burn?

Options

Replies

• sullrico18
    sullrico18 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    sbuell20 wrote: »
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts. If nothing else, I beat my old record of two hours of cardio at the gym. Definitely feeling a little fatigued this morning, but will be back this afternoon for my daily workout. Thank you for all the replies and information!

If this number of calories burned came from the machine, it is wrong. Get a heart rate monitor to find out what is really going on.

I second the heart rate monitor...get one with a chest strap!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have the vivofit with the chest strap. I wish they could find a better way for ladies. Chest straps and breasts don't mix. I feel like mine is either riding up or getting pushed down. sorry for the threadjacking. I feel like if I say it enough, someone will invent something better.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    There are optical-based wrist-worn HRMs but they can be unreliable as they require a tight connection to the wrist to avoid light leakage.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    slucki01 wrote: »
    It's unlikely that you can get in enough exercise to burn off that much of an overage but, if you can, more power to you. However, if you start to do this on a regular basis, it might be a sign of a type of anorexia

He's already done it. Why would he be an anorexic?
    because over exercising to burn off what you eat can be a sign of anorexia. people do it out of fear of gaining weight/getting fat,etc.so when they eat something they feel guilty and feel the need to exercise.I guess it makes them feel like they accomplished something. some people do get addicted to exercise in extremes
    How do you know he was over execising? Its only one day. Nothing wrong with exercising so you can eat more food. Plenty of people on the fitness forums who run or cycle that amount each day. Hardly an addiction just people enjoying or trying to get fit which needs work.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you can get in enough exercise to burn off that much of an overage but, if you can, more power to you. However, if you start to do this on a regular basis, it might be a sign of a type of anorexia

because over exercising to burn off what you eat can be a sign of anorexia. people do it out of fear of gaining weight/getting fat,etc.so when they eat something they feel guilty and feel the need to exercise.I guess it makes them feel like they accomplished something. some people do get addicted to exercise in extremes
    How do you know he was over execising? Its only one day. Nothing wrong with exercising so you can eat more food. Plenty of people on the fitness forums who run or cycle that amount each day. Hardly an addiction just people enjoying or trying to get fit which needs work.
    someone asked what would consider him anorexic. I just said that over exercising can be a sign. Im not talking about those who run or cycle or it being an addiction. those who overeat and then feel guilty and then feel the need to exercise in excess to burn off what they eat due to guilt though do have a problem.Not saying he does,Im saying in general
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jkoch6599 wrote: »
    I burned 1500 calories before work this morning ;)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/734378445
    The cadence and speed #'s don't really make sense for that wattage, so I'm guessing some sort of trainer with an erg mode. Wahoo Kickr? If so how do you like it?

Time to retest, your FTP is definitely set way too low. ;) Numbers like TSS, IF, and particularly TSB are lot more meaningful with accurate FTP setting.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

The cadence and speed #'s don't really make sense for that wattage, so I'm guessing some sort of trainer with an erg mode. Wahoo Kickr? If so how do you like it?

Time to retest, your FTP is definitely set way too low. ;) Numbers like TSS, IF, and particularly TSB are lot more meaningful with accurate FTP setting.

I dunno, the cadence looks fine to me. I will shift my bike on the trainer and maintain in the 85-95 range for almost any power range, even during recoveries. As for "speed" on the trainer, that can be pretty much anything depending on how tight you set the resistance knob (or at least its like that on my Kurt Kinetic or Cyclops).
  • jkohnmobile
    Options
    I have the vivofit with the chest strap. I wish they could find a better way for ladies. Chest straps and breasts don't mix. I feel like mine is either riding up or getting pushed down. sorry for the threadjacking. I feel like if I say it enough, someone will invent something better.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ampstrip-comfortable-24-7-heart-rate-wearable
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Once upon a time there was a thread on this, but the search function is failing me and I can't find it.

There is a rough guideline that says you can only get a certain amount of energy from your fat stores each day. That's presumably where the chart above came from. It's also probably the source of the "If you have x to lose, set your deficit to no more than y" trope.

The number is "290 +- 25 kj/kg which is approximately 31 kcal/lb of fat per day".

So, for example, if you weigh 200 pounds and have 20% body fat, you have 40 pounds of fat and can, at a maximum, get 40*31 ~ 1200 kcal per day from fat. If you burn more than that it needs to come from glycogen or lean tissue.

So if you know your weight and %BF you can get this maximum number. I'd then suggest staying well below that limit for your average daily deficit. Caveat emptor.
  • jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

You're exactly right, KICKR in erg mode...but the power numbers come from my P2M. Numbers on the KICKR are about 10W higher. I love the KICKR. ERG mode was a game changer for me. You have no choice but to hit your targets, and it's great to just plan a workout and ride without having to think about your numbers.

I tried to fix my FTP on Garmin's site a few times, but it keeps getting reset to the default. I track everything in Golden Cheetah anyway, so it doesn't matter.
  • jkohnmobile
    Options
    You're exactly right, KICKR in erg mode...but the power numbers come from my P2M. Numbers on the KICKR are about 10W higher. I love the KICKR. ERG mode was a game changer for me. You have no choice but to hit your targets, and it's great to just plan a workout and ride without having to think about your numbers.
    I have a cheap basic trainer, and pretty much hate it. Fortunately living in Houston I can train outdoors pretty much year-round, although at times indoor would be more convenient. I've debated whether something like the Kickr would make indoor training more enjoyable, but haven't quite been able to pull the trigger. I can definitely see how it would make certain types of interval workouts more precise, just not sure if I would use it enough to justify the price.

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Is this really anorexia? I have a friend who used to be overweight but she lost a lot of weight and stopped smoking around 10 years ago and since then she's been cycling everywhere or doing cardio daily (mainly indoor running) as she's paranoid about gaining weight and wants to eat what she likes. She continued exercising while pregnant, though lower impact but she also reduced her food intake and ended up losing weight while pregnant. Some people might say she's got anorexia but surely it's just a way to manage your weight?
  • jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap basic trainer, and pretty much hate it. Fortunately living in Houston I can train outdoors pretty much year-round, although at times indoor would be more convenient. I've debated whether something like the Kickr would make indoor training more enjoyable, but haven't quite been able to pull the trigger. I can definitely see how it would make certain types of interval workouts more precise, just not sure if I would use it enough to justify the price.

How much of a numbers guy are you? It makes training indoors much more enjoyable for me, but I like planning, analyzing, testing, etc., almost as much as riding. I do my hardest two workouts each week on the KICKR even if the weather is perfect, because that's the only way I can be sure hit my numbers. It's all rollers around here, no long climbs or flats into a headwind so it's hard to do any efforts over a couple of minutes on the road.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ampstrip-comfortable-24-7-heart-rate-wearable

I’d be more tempted by that if it didn’t require buying adhesive for it on a regular basis.

@enterdanger I find the Mio to be super accurate during workouts. The Fitbit series is great for all-day HR monitoring and rubbish at workout HR monitoring. The Mio doesn’t have continuous HR monitoring but it’s pretty spot on for workouts. This guy has good reviews for HR monitors: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/fuse-depth-review.html
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    Is this really anorexia? I have a friend who used to be overweight but she lost a lot of weight and stopped smoking around 10 years ago and since then she's been cycling everywhere or doing cardio daily (mainly indoor running) as she's paranoid about gaining weight and wants to eat what she likes. She continued exercising while pregnant, though lower impact but she also reduced her food intake and ended up losing weight while pregnant. Some people might say she's got anorexia but surely it's just a way to manage your weight?
    there is nothing wrong with exercising while pregnant but reducing food intake(unless by advice of a dr) is not the way to go. she may have anorexia, but cycling everywhere or doing cardio doesnt mean she is overdoing it. unless she is working out all day every day to where it takes away from other activities,meals and life in general.There was a woman who was addicted to exercise. she would get on her treadmill and only get off there to make dinner,then she would eat while on it and everything.she got to the point that she didnt even have time to do things around the house,her kids started doing it.

It was an intervention like thing on tv(but wasnt intervention).They said her addiction was an exercise anorexia or something like that, every time she would eat anything she thought she had to burn it off.There are people like that in real life that think the more they burn the better off they are and even exercise through pain and have injuries but they cant stop.
  • sbuell20
    sbuell20 Posts: 31 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts. If nothing else, I beat my old record of two hours of cardio at the gym. Definitely feeling a little fatigued this morning, but will be back this afternoon for my daily workout. Thank you for all the replies and information!

110 minutes (1 hour and 50 minutes) walking and 40 mins of ab workout for 1530 calories?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I guess that read wrong. 2.5 hours on the elliptical at a steady hard pace keeping heart rate between 120-130 for a total of 1530 calories. I did do some other excercises but they are not included in the 1530, those were a bit of walking and the 40 minutes of ab exercises.
  • sbuell20
    Options
    If I did that much exercise in one day I would NOT be able to move the next day or the day after without being in a lot of pain lol.
    I feel great, other than my legs are burning a bit from some squat exercises I did Monday. I do get very fatigued after about and 1.5 on the machines, legs are a bit sore but nothing major, my legs are my "glamour" muscle.
  • sbuell20
    edited April 2015
    Options

Not anorexic (at least don't think so. I'm 5' 10" and now sitting around 175lbs. Just trying to get some belly chub gone, along with I love how I feel after exercising, and then I plan on bulking up on muscle a bit.
  • sbuell20
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    yeah walking and doing abs are not going to burn that many calories in 2.5 hrs. unless you are severely obese then maybe but I still dont think it would be that high. I can walk for 3-4 hrs when I go to the mall and dont even burn that many,even when I was 70 lbs overweight I still didnt burn that many. Also who can do abs for 40+ min? isnt that redundant?.

I have no idea what kind of ab work someone can do for 40 minutes. I take under 10 minutes, including rest, for ab exercises, and they hurt for days afterwards.
    I'll try and make you a list of what I do. I will look up the names of the exercises. It hurts at the end of the workout. I'm kind of an extreme individual at times, but there are more extreme.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?

You'll have to be pretty fit to burn 1300 calories in a reasonable amount of time...
    Burned five hundred on a break I had earlier back for the other 800 now, about an hour and fifteen for those.

Doubtful