Ladies, TOM question.

How do you workout without being absolutely uncomfortable when you're on the TOM? :s:s Tampons aren't an option for me, what workouts are easier than other with the extra "accessory"? Thanks a bunch.

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Try walking
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Hmmm...I don't have that issue, so I've never thought about it, but I would think weight lifting would be a better option than cardio since you're not moving around as much.
  • gantzgirl87
    gantzgirl87 Posts: 25 Member
    I try to do the same thing I do when it's not that TOM. Some days cramps are too bad and I can only do about 15 mins and no lifting, but it just depends how I'm feeling day to day. I do the elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill, or cardio DVDs. Some days I skip if I'm feeling extra yuck or just do as much as I can.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I would ride a bike in that case, or maybe row.
  • I'm with u tampons are not an option for me either. I have found when I am at the gym I use a thin pad. Kotex has been a really good brand. Depending on how I feel depends on how long I do the cardio for. I usually jump on the elliptical. Also I have found an increase in My water during my TOM keeps my cramps down. Best thing u can do is try a few th things and see what u are comfortable with. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    I can recommend the Mooncup (or whatever it's called in America) as often you dont need the 'extra protection' of pads (except me but my body is weird!). Have to confess to not usually going to the gym the first couple of days but thats more down to feeling exhausted than anything else. Went this morning (Day 1) but only performed at about 50% of normal activity levels. Did both cardio and weights.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    I just use my usual feminine hygiene product of choice and... do my workout. It might be slower or harder than usual because my energy levels are lower during my TOM, but I still get it done. I usually feel better afterward.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Sure, pads get a little uncomfortable/hot/bulky. But they really won't hinder you or stop you completely from doing anything but swimming.

Just make sure it's stuck in there really well. If you're concerned about it shifting and becoming visible during your workout, maybe opt for something seated...like the rowing machine, recumbant bike, or upright bike.

Otherwise, just do it. You're getting hot and sweaty anyway. You can't expect to be perfectly fresh and fantastic during the whole workout, so this is just one other little bit of discomfort.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited April 2015
    I use pads and haven't had any issue with being uncomfortable walking or doing low impact aerobic type workouts.
    I did a pilates workout once during my period that seemed to increase the flow greatly and had messy leakage on my clothes and mat. Fortunately I was at home or it would have been embarrasing.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Yoga
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    try the diva cup or mooncup thing. If not go with a thin liner and go about your business.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    blobby10 wrote: »
    I can recommend the Mooncup (or whatever it's called in America) as often you dont need the 'extra protection' of pads (except me but my body is weird!). Have to confess to not usually going to the gym the first couple of days but thats more down to feeling exhausted than anything else. Went this morning (Day 1) but only performed at about 50% of normal activity levels. Did both cardio and weights.

Yup I have a diva cup and love it. I don't know why tampons aren't an option or if that excludes anything internal. But you might want to check it out.

Also, you may want to try cloth pads. I thought it sounded crazy at first, but they're sooooo much more comfortable than the disposable ones. Less hot and sweaty plasticity feeling, much more breathable. There are lots of different companies. Luna pads, glad rags.
  • Sarahbooradley
    Sarahbooradley Posts: 6 Member
    I wear pads, too. But I find that anything sitting makes it worse! Spinning class makes me feel like I've been kick really hard down there. Running works well. I really love yoga, it really eases cramps.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    I stick to my Wii fit at TOM in the comfort and privacy of my own home. I can do as much or as little as I want and as slowly as I want with nobody there to see me or judge me
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    I don't change my routine at all during that time. If the cramps are really bad I will take ib proferin and go about my business. Make sure you drink extra water when Tom visits though. Good luck to you :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    The "accessory", as you put it, has never caused an issue for me. My only problem is decreased strength and that's not every time.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    I was going to suggest a menstruation cup, too, if that's an option for you.