how much weight to 'feel' thinner

Options
I`ve only lost 6 pounds so far so I don`t expect to see or feel huge difference....I was just wondering how much weight you`ve lost before looking or feeling thinner?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are starting at
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    people will say measure yourself, whilst this is a good idea, its not for me i like to see the difference in the mirror not on a tape.

I personally have a pair of trousers from before i put my weight on, they are my goal, the more weight i get off the higher up my legs they go :) hoping that they will fit me by the summer :)

Since resetting my goals for my last 30lbs to get off i have lost 8lbs and i can feel that my work trousers are fitting better - they arent cutting into me as much :)

GOOD LUCK AND WELL DONE SO FAR!
  • meleel
    meleel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    It depends on where you are starting at

I started at 252lbs
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I was coming up for 14 stone when I started. I don't think it took too long to start feeling better and to notice little differences myself, mostly in my face. The first few lbs were fluid so I was less bloated generally.

I think it took about a stone for close family to notice and more before work colleagues said anything.

I think I felt lighter quite quickly and once you start feeling better and more in control I find it's easier to continue.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Personally, starting at 167lbs at 5'4 and going down to 112lbs, looking at my progress pictures I see a difference about every 20lbs. I can't really answer for feeling thinner, I actually feel fatter now than I did when I started lol.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Yup, definitely depends on how much weight you have to lose. At my starting weight, I had to lose about 10 kg (22ish pounds) before I could see or feel a difference. But now that I'm at the lower end of my healthy range, 1-3 kilos (2-7 pounds, roughly) all make a large difference to me. The more weight you have, the more you have to lose before it's visible. :)
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tis subjective, weight (meaning the number on the scale) generally is not the initial indicator I would hazard a guess that NSV such as clothes feeling looser or fitting into a smaller size, feeling less heavy and more mobile eg being able to walk longer or taking the stairs more easily, sometimes you will not even notice but those around you might make postive remarks about your appearance etc

To be honest patience and persistence is key.

Lastly I would recommend taking a weekly selfie of your body (same lighting and time of day) for yourself because weight-loss can seem slow but after six months when you compare your the first photo with the one in six months you will be very pleasantly surprised.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i started about 250 and am 220 now.

people see a difference. i do not.

i feel BETTER (happier, more energy, even lighter) but not necessarily THINNER - if that makes any sense. The feeling better is what keeps me motivated to keep working out (that and ive discovered i really DO Like it!) ;) All of my weight has come off the top half of me (waiting for it to start to come off the bottom half! LOL) - I'm down at least 2 shirt sizes (from a 20/22 or 2X to about a 16 or XL but have a few random larges and one very confused medium LOL ). stupid jeans are the same size. dress size varies and depends on cut. my smallest dress is a 16 and fits great, but the XL old navy dress i bought is still too tight around hips/ tummy (fits everywhere else!) LOL.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs (started at 242) and three jean sizes and definitely feel slimmer now.
  • MrsWQLittle
    MrsWQLittle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about feeling "thinner" as being healthier. Appealing aesthetics are great but nothing can beat good health. I'd find a pair of pants that fit perfect right now and try them on at the end of every week. Even if you can't see the difference in the mirror the pants will give you an idea of how many inches you are losing. Good Luck!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It was probably about 20lbs before I noticed a real difference in the mirror. I had 65-70 total to lose and have 65 of those off now. tbh, though, even though I went from a size 16-18 to a size 4 with those 65 lb, some days I really don't feel "thinner". Logically I know I am and I certainly feel healthier, but our minds are funny little things and often when I look in the mirror, I don't see a thin me...even though I can see how much my face has changed, etc. It's hard to explain, but after being overweight my whole life, it's hard to your self perception to catch up
  • tippie2015
    tippie2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 80lbs in the past (gained all but 20 back) and honestly I didn't feel that much skinnier. I did feel more energetic and overall happier.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90lbs, and I still feel pretty fat because I've got this huge gut. :disappointed:
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day. I know i look thinner (since none of my clothes fit properly, and everyone tells me so), but i dont see it all the time. There are some days that i look in the mirror and say"wow, its really getting there!", and there are other days that i still feel like the old overweight me. I think it takes awhile for the brain to catch up to the rest of you. I am 50 pounds down, but still have another 50 to go, so time will tell. Good luck on your journey.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I felt thinner at around 10 pounds. I think it depends on how tight your clothes are.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    15 lbs.

Just hit it today, and for the first time in this process, I actually feel a teensy, tiny bit thinner.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    For me it was 25 lb mark. I felt a little different at the 14 lb mark, but 25 lb loss was the mark for me to feel 'lighter' and like my clothes looked better.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was probably 15-20 lbs down before I 'felt' thinner.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. I've lost a total of 34lbs. I started feeling 'thinner' at 30lbs. Some days I look in the mirror and I get upset because I feel like I still look fat. But then a few hours later I'll be at work and someone will come up to me and ask how I lost so much weight. I have photos of my bigger self that I look at on a daily basis 2 or 3 times a day and I have jeans that fit me really big that I like to wear as a reminder of how far I've come. I guess my brain just needs to catch up with my waist, but who knows.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    10lbs for me, not that that makes me "thin" but i feel thinner :)