Movie snacks?

Options
2»

Replies

• andyhill72
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    As a cereal addict, I always have a bag of dry cereal measured out and ready to go! My favorite is Honey Bunches of Oats (1 cup = 160 calories and 80% iron). Enriched cereal can be a great source of added vitamins and minerals to your diet, or whole grain cereal could help you load up on fiber for the day! In addition, cereal just tastes good, is super portable, and something you can mindlessly snack on for a good while without worrying about running out in five minutes or consuming too many calories in one sitting. I'd definitely recommend it, even those kid cereals are getting slightly better for you since they're switching some of them to whole grains, and you can't even taste a difference :)
    I love Honey Bunches of Oats, but haven't eaten cereal in so long I kind of forgot about it. Good idea!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I second roasted chickpeas. I never thought I'd like them, but they are yummy. And they satisfy the savory munchies without taking up too much space in a pocket/purse. But usually, I work my butt off at the gym on movie days and spend it all on popcorn with the ranch seasoning. Yumm./
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I am going tonight myself, have just allowed the calories for the popcorn. All part of the experience for me!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just so ya know - theaters make about a buck on each movie ticket. They only make money off of the concessions. A close friend manages a theater here in town and clued me in on that.

A small no-butter popcorn is about 300 calories if you eat the whole thing. That and a handful of Junior Mints, and I'm set. Maybe a Coke Zero.

I only go to the big IMAX releases any more, my system at home is almost as nice (for a townhome) and I can pause it and run to the bathroom or kitchen. And BluRays cost the same as a movie ticket these days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It's interesting ... when I lived in Canada (most of my life) popcorn was an essential part of the movie experience. And the movie experience was quite casual.

I have moved to Australia and recently started going to movies. First time, I dressed quite casually. My husband dressed up ... sports jacket. I thought that was really odd for going to the movies, and he kept asking me if I was sure I wanted to dress so casually. When we got there, I discovered that everyone was dressed up a bit ... I was the most casually dressed person in the place.

I also expected to get a huge bucket of popcorn, but hardly anyone did that. They do have snacks, but if people got anything, it tended to be a glass of wine.

Anyway ... I've discovered that popcorn doesn't need to be part of the movie experience after all. I haven't had moving popcorn in years.

I'm really not sure you're actually in Australia :smiley:

"Dressed up" here means you get out of your pjs and perhaps put some shoes on.

And wine? I wish! Most of the people here are scarfing down giant cokes and kebabs. And... wait for it... ENORMOUS buckets of popcorn.

Where on earth are you going to the cinema? The Opera House?

Tasmania ... and the movie theatres are quite posh compared with what I'm used to. :)

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get a small un-buttered popcorn when I can fit it in my calories.