Loose skin?

13»

Replies

  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,051 Member
    I just went out and bought carusos super collagen builder. My dentist also recommended this to me for keeping gums healthy. Might be good for anti aging and skin too??
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    They may help skin appearance if you're deficient and then supplement. They may help make your skin more hydrated and healthier looking. But I doubt they will help much with excess skin that is due to weight loss. That's a different problem-- too much skin, not just inelastic skin.
    Sagging skin is inelastic skin. I understand that with weight loss comes a lot of excess skin. I also understand that sustained, large weight loss takes time. This can mean that inelasticity may be an issue and supplements may be of assistance.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member

    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It sounds like bro-science to me.

    Hmm perhaps. Perhaps you would like to write to Lancet and let them know?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    85kurtz wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It sounds like bro-science to me.

    Hmm perhaps. Perhaps you would like to write to Lancet and let them know?

    Well, no, I'm not writing to a medical journal.

    And, since you are the one who mentioned research, how about posting some peer reviewed studies?
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Lost & am maintaining 150 lb loss....I am over twice your age and had been heavy for most of my life so I really thought I'd have gobs of loose skin, lol....I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Bit of batwings which I'm working on (lifting) and really not much else I can complain about.

    The perks of losing outweigh IMHO, the fear of loose skin. I feel fantastic, dropped taking 5 meds and no longer carry the diagnoses of Type 2 DM, HTN or cholesterol/lipid issues. I really didn't start doing much exercise wise till I was close to the 100 lb loss mark, then started walking daily (and haven't stopped yet)

    Everyone is different though, you are young, your skin might snap back a lot quicker if you even do get loose skin during your loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    airangel59 wrote: »
    Lost & am maintaining 150 lb loss....I am over twice your age and had been heavy for most of my life so I really thought I'd have gobs of loose skin, lol....I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Bit of batwings which I'm working on (lifting) and really not much else I can complain about.

    The perks of losing outweigh IMHO, the fear of loose skin. I feel fantastic, dropped taking 5 meds and no longer carry the diagnoses of Type 2 DM, HTN or cholesterol/lipid issues. I really didn't start doing much exercise wise till I was close to the 100 lb loss mark, then started walking daily (and haven't stopped yet)

    Everyone is different though, you are young, your skin might snap back a lot quicker if you even do get loose skin during your loss.

    Same here- 53, over weight most of my life, after years of yo-yo dieting, I lost 44 lbs year before last, and I have very little loose skin (just some on my tummy), but I noticed exercise, especially weight lifting, and losing it slowly, has helped my skin integrity. I have taken no supplements.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    nope, skin does replace itself but it's not like the whole tissue gets turned over. that all got stretched out during the period of being overweight. as someone said, it's like an elastic band got stretched beyond its capacity. it is worn out, it is just not going to regain the tone it used to have.

    you can see some improvement over time - if you are genetically lucky - but it might not be as dramatic as hoped. EAting a balanced diet with foods that support collagen synthesis might help a little. keywords: might, a little. sunscreen will prevent further damage to those areas.

    there are laser tightening options - they show some but small results.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Well, no, I'm not writing to a medical journal.

    And, since you are the one who mentioned research, how about posting some peer reviewed studies? [/quote

    Well, I already did. I read this in Lancet. I really love this business of demanding others do your research for you. I am sure if you are really interested in looking for the research you could log into Medline or Cinahl or whatever and look it up yourself.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    85kurtz wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Well, no, I'm not writing to a medical journal.

    And, since you are the one who mentioned research, how about posting some peer reviewed studies?

    Well, I already did. I read this in Lancet. I really love this business of demanding others do your research for you. I am sure if you are really interested in looking for the research you could log into Medline or Cinahl or whatever and look it up yourself.
    I'm not demanding anything at all. ;)

    You are the one who said there was plenty of research on this subject, so I'm just asking you to post some. Bringing up the issue of research means you have done research already, therefore the onus is on you to post links or cites to research that helped you come to a conclusion. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »
    nope, skin does replace itself but it's not like the whole tissue gets turned over. that all got stretched out during the period of being overweight. as someone said, it's like an elastic band got stretched beyond its capacity. it is worn out, it is just not going to regain the tone it used to have.

    you can see some improvement over time - if you are genetically lucky - but it might not be as dramatic as hoped. EAting a balanced diet with foods that support collagen synthesis might help a little. keywords: might, a little. sunscreen will prevent further damage to those areas.

    there are laser tightening options - they show some but small results.

    I agree. It would be nice if there were some magic vitamin or oil that would eliminate lose skin from dieting. :)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 536 Member

    boopsiegrl wrote: »

    could you tell us what other options there is to loose skin

    I haven't tried it, so I can't speak to if it works, but my dermatologist has the laser tighten option, and cold sculpting, one of her staff tried it and was happy. I haven't sought out plastic surgery.