Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I restrict calories, but I have not given anything up. I just eat less of what I like.

"Eat less" IS giving things up.

If you ate 1000 Skittles a day before and only 20 Skittles a day now, you've given up 980 Skittles.

yea, but that is not giving up skittles. That is just reducing your intake.

if you give them up that means that you don't eat them anymore.

I'm going to guess that this has been argued with despite the fact that it 100% accurate.

apparently, it was too "binary" and it basically turned into a semantical, ridiculous argument. Additionally, if you quit smoking and still smoke three cigarettes a week that equals giving them up …

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You guys love feeding into his word games playing. You guys must love torturing yourself while entertaining his nonsense. Just pay attention how it's always something along the lines of "could be this, could not be", "some do, some don't", "if you didn't say you did then you didn't or maybe you did" blah blah. It's hilarious.

oCOsf.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    if you say you gave up smoking but still smoked three cigarettes a week, have you given up smoking?

You tell me, in your own words. A dude goes from a pack a day to 3 cigs a week - what has he done if not given up a lot of cigarettes?

Oh, look, you already did...

If you ate 1000 Skittles a day before and only 20 Skittles a day now, you've given up 980 Skittles.

So we both agree that I've given up eating a crap-load of Skittles.

:drinker:

He started smoking fewer cigarettes while still smoking cigarettes.

However, I used to smoke, and I gave up cigarettes aka I smoke zero of them.

My eyeballs so badly want to roll out of my skull right now.
  • ana3067
    Options
    If I don't eat a whole bag of skittles in one sitting I didn't give up on the skittles I didn't eat. I only postponed their inevitable demise to a later date.

I have about 14 cookies left that I baked yesterday. Me not eating them all right now = postponing the intake. Just because I eat 1 cookie instead of 14 in a sitting =/= I've given up that food item, I've simply reduced by portions/intake of the food
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you say you gave up smoking but still smoked three cigarettes a week, have you given up smoking?

You tell me, in your own words. A dude goes from a pack a day to 3 cigs a week - what has he done if not given up a lot of cigarettes?

like I said …ridiculous semantical argument ….

• ana3067
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I restrict calories, but I have not given anything up. I just eat less of what I like.

"Eat less" IS giving things up.

yea, but that is not giving up skittles. That is just reducing your intake.

if you give them up that means that you don't eat them anymore.

I'm going to guess that this has been argued with despite the fact that it 100% accurate.

You have guessed correctly, to the tune of 3 pages of NEENER NEENER YOU SMELL.

Absurdist theater. Poor OP was just looking for some tips on how to work in "treat" foods. Free Oscar, indeed.

GOD and I read through ALL OF THOSE PAGES Lol.

like I said …ridiculous semantical argument ….
    Yep. MFP version of:
    song_that_never_ends.png

at this point it's just getting even more pathetic than it already was :/
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

The answer to this is easy and pretty interesting. It's the reason the "share" and "like" buttons are popular. It's the same reason why fad diets (or any product, really) take off through word of mouth and anecdotes. Why some people more than others tend to be drawn into a cult mentality. The answer is: because we're human, we're social, and we're self-centered. The combination of all 3 encourages sharing. I don't want to make this long, it's just one of the topics that fascinate me.

Example: Person A talks about looking forward to cheat meal. (sharing out of sense of belonging)
    Person B says: It's toxins! (sharing to educate - feeling they have more knowledge in the matter others may not have)
    Person C says: You should not call it cheating! (sharing to help prevent failure - feeling they have gone through the same path and they are doing person A a social favor)
    Person D says: I'm looking forward to my cheat meal too! (sharing for conformity and, again, sense of belonging)
    Person E says: I don't do cheat meals. (sharing to re-affirm self and get a better idea of who they are)
    Person F says: I've always wondered about cheat meals, I read this and that. (sharing because it's a topic or a cause they are interested in or feel strongly about)
    ...etc

Where the conflicts arise is when any of these people speak like there is only one version of "right" and it is theirs.

This is great! And honestly, most people are just posting out of kindness/interest/ non malicious intent! I love how you looked at how someone might think differently than yourself - it's something we can all learn!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I totally got you OP; It makes me think of the whole 'mono diet' thing, where people say that they eat nothing but chocolate all day and still lose weight. People who aren't that educated in nutrition or fitness may take it on the face of 'I can eat as much chocolate as I want in a day and still lose weight, and it must be because I am just eating the one type of food and SCIENCE!' And then eat well over their calories (because they aren't logging or even aware of how many they should be consuming a day) and gaining weight and wondering why.

OP is saying that he realizes we all here do things in moderation, but there are some people out there who may be new to this whole thing who need to know that when we say 'I still eat chocolate every day and I lose weight', that we mean 'I eat chocolate every day but I eat it in moderation in keeping with my daily calorie allowance'.

Anyway, I like things like this! Reminds us of the healthier choices we have made, even unintentional ones :) Also, I used to be a massive binger, so this could get a bit long;

Booze; I actually count the calories now rather than telling myself they don't count (because boy do they count!)

Large Chocolate Bars: I could easily consume an entire large chocolate bar in one sitting (along with a lot of other things). Now I just have a 4-square strip at most in the evenings.

Caffeine: My caffeine intake was horrendous, as I was using it as an appetite suppressor (bad, I know). Now I have limited my daily intake by almost half and drink much more water instead.

Ice Cream: Used to it a whole tub of it in one sitting. Now I have a couple of scoops, usually with some meringue (sp?) nests to make it feel more substantial (55 cals each).

Croissants: Used to buy one fresh from the bakery most mornings for breakfast. Now I buy smaller, packaged ones; not quite as tasty but at least half the calories, and still satisfies my seemingly constant croissant craving.

Chips: I always go for rice if that is an option over chips these days, and I actually like it!

Takeaways/Fast Food: Usually at least 3 times a week (and I mean at least). Now, I just have one a week, whichever day of the weekend my boyfriend and I are hungover on, and we always order from a place which does grilled chicken and rice, so I can still feel healthy.

Cake: Oh my God I love cake! Used to eat cake every single day. Now, I eat it probably once a week. That is mostly because I know that once I start eating it though, I won't be able to stop, so nothing really to do with me being more 'moderate' with it, I just avoid it mostly.

Pasta: Again, just something I've cut out altogether. Didn't even really notice myself doing it!

Ready Meals: Again, something I seem to have just cut out without really thinking about it.

Toast: I could easily eat five pieces of toast, with jam or peanut butter or even just lashings of butter, in one sitting. Now I very rarely eat it because I know it is one of my danger foods, and I don't actually miss it. It feels like a not completely unhealthy treat I can now control when I do fancy it.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I don't eat a whole bag of skittles in one sitting I didn't give up on the skittles I didn't eat. I only postponed their inevitable demise to a later date.

I have about 14 cookies left that I baked yesterday. Me not eating them all right now = postponing the intake. Just because I eat 1 cookie instead of 14 in a sitting =/= I've given up that food item, I've simply reduced by portions/intake of the food

That's great. For you.
    I'd rather have NO cookies than eat one. One sounds kind of miserable. This is my only point:
    There are many people who do better with an approach like yours and many people who do better with an approach like mine. When someone says they choose not to eat cookies, consider that. Just once.

No cookies is preferable to me. One big pile a nachos once a month or so is much much more preferable to me than counting out 20 chips and an ounce of cheese once a day.

I'm not arguing about the word "moderation". I find that word so vague and varied on this site that it's meaningless.

Restriction takes many forms. Dieting takes many forms. There are many ways up this mountain.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    P3100726.jpg
    Here we go. A regular size pint next time a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's. Sad small container is sad.

Has anyone pointed out yet that the ice cream on the left is a quart and not, in fact, a pint?

That could also have something to do with how "sad" the single serving looks.

Darn I read through this whole thread to see if anyone had pointed that out. That's one of my favorite brands of ice cream.

I have a smaller maintenance number, so working the food in usually means not having a serving of certain foods daily, but rather consciously going over my intake sometimes. There's no quantity on "sometimes," I just only eat treat foods (low nutrition/high calorie) when I really, really, want it. I also eat anywhere in my deficit to maintenance range without stressing about hitting one number.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am confused why the OP cares about what every body else is doing...

The fact is, you just learn to adjust how you prepare, cook, choose food to consume in order to make wiser, healthier, moderate choices.. All this is not rocket science and if you consume 2000 calories of ice cream every day, you lose weight by cutting that in half...

???????? about this thread...

I'm glad it was so effortless for you to just go do what I've been struggling for 42 years to pull off. Thanks for letting us know??? Guess this thread isn't useful for you, but some of us slow people need more direct instruction on the "how" of doing this.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate daily.