Help! Decided to go vegetarian but my husband hates veggies!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Zoinks, this thread really got interesting. I think I figured out a solution though: candy corn and jelly bean casserole. Here in the midwest we use cream of mushroom soup as the universal binding agent for casseroles but that would be gross. Instead, I'm suggesting melted circus peanuts instead since peanuts are technically a legume.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The stance of animal rights, as I said, is that animals are not ours to own or to use. In the animal rights view ALL domesticated animals are "enslaved" and in a state of suffering.

This is false. I, along with many other ethical vegans, do not believe that all domesticated animals live in a state of suffering. Your argument against veganism says more about your fears than it does about veganism. Earlier in the thread you said you didn't have time to listen to what advocates for animals had to say.

I would suggest listening. Even if you disagreed, you would then be able to accurately describe our arguments.

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Can't you just eat the veggies & he continues to eat meat?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The stance of animal rights, as I said, is that animals are not ours to own or to use. In the animal rights view ALL domesticated animals are "enslaved" and in a state of suffering.

This is false. I, along with many other ethical vegans, do not believe that all domesticated animals live in a state of suffering. Your argument against veganism says more about your fears than it does about veganism. Earlier in the thread you said you didn't have time to listen to what advocates for animals had to say.

I would suggest listening. Even if you disagreed, you would then be able to accurately describe our arguments.

+1

Not every vegan is a card carrying member of PETA.

• molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband had a slow turn to the greener side as well, but he's really come around! Tonight I made asparagus with a white truffle aioli and lentil burgers with guacamole and everybody ate well, including our toddler.

The lentil burger with all the usual fixings may be an okay entrance into the meatless world for him. I'm not vegetarian, but I try to at least have some all veggie meals.

A few others that may be an easy start:
    1. Homemade burrito bowls. Let him add cheese and meat if he wants, but some good sauteed veggies should get into his bowl (in my opinion- adults eat their darn vegetables. Lol).
    2. Veggie pizza. With enough great toppings, he may not even notice the meat is missing. A well sauteed mushroom can have a similar taste and texture.
    3. A veggie soup that includes potatoes and others that he likes.

Good luck!!!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    It's a really good thing that everything on this planet is 100% black and white and absolutely nothing exists on a spectrum.

Wait.

Are you saying not all vegetarians want to kill all our pets? There might be hope for OP yet.

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My husband has pretty much learned to fend for himself, although I like to cook and have no problem cooking meat for him. You'll work it out. And keep cereal on hand, it's a great meal you can both agree on. And I agree with others, don't try to change your husband's eating preferences, it'll only end up in an argument.
  • goldpurple
    goldpurple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    almost everyone i know seems to love roasted veggies. baked potatoes are good as one can customize them with whatever topping they choose. vegetarian chili is good and you can add meat to his in a separate container. soup, salad, tacos (use soy meat for yours), are customizable too.
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Google Vegetarian +Hair Loss. Vegetarian diets are not healthy. If you don't want to eat meat, don't. That doesn't mean you can't make him a nice steak while you eat processed soy.

• JTGJTG
    Options
    Don't know why the other post was blank... maybe the 'G' word is unacceptable?
    Use a search engine to find vegetarian+hair loss. It's not a healthy diet, but it's your decision. Yours, not his. Make the man his steak and be happy with your processed soy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    JTGJTG wrote: »
    Google Vegetarian +Hair Loss. Vegetarian diets are not healthy. If you don't want to eat meat, don't. That doesn't mean you can't make him a nice steak while you eat processed soy.

Wut??

What a load of utter twaddle. I call troll.

Vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss. Just because you are a vegetarian does not mean you have an iron deficiency. Just because you eat meat does not mean you are getting all your nutrients either.

• JTGJTG
    Options
    Did you actually do a search on it? If you had, you'd see that it's very common, especially for men.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Did you actually do a search on it? If you had, you'd see that it's very common, especially for men.

Yes I did, which is why I responded with what they said. Did you read them? If you had and understood them you would not be asking me if I had read them after my response.

Do you have anything else on this 'unhealthy' diet other than hair loss that makes it unhealthy?

Please could you link a credible source that shows that vegetarians suffer more nutrient deficiencies than non vegetarians and also that show vegetarians have a higher incidence of disease and a higher mortality rate...kkthx.

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Yes I did. Did you read them?

IDK, seems pretty legit to me. I mean, that's why you have no hair right?

Right?

wait.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Right?

wait.

Yeah, and why I responded with comments on what they said...because I did not read them.

Although, I have to admit I did not read every single article that came up (most were from vegan sights stating that it was not a correct assumption, which I skimmed over as not exactly unbiased) - just the top few. Maybe if the poster could enlighten us further it would help.
  • haylzp24
    haylzp24 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So I've recently made the decision to go vegetarian. It is something that I've been wanting to do for a while and finally made the move. My problem is that my husband hates most vegetables, especially cooked ones. This makes dinner at home pretty difficult. He does like some things: broccoli, carrots, green beans, asparagus, corn, and potatoes - but that's about it. He doesn't like tofu, any type of beans (except green beans), and most nuts. I'm looking for suggestions for vegetarian meals that he might actually like. Please help! Making separate dinners is fine sometimes, but I have a feeling that it's going to get old pretty quick...

I went veggie about a year and half ago and my partner made the change last summer but still ate fish. He now has decided he won't eat fish. My advice, don't force it. You never know, he may decide to be a veggie too! Try soya mince and make chilli con carne or shepherds pie. Use lentils to bulk it out too. There is a brand called granose who I've found in the co op and I think they sell it in asda too. The burger mix is amazing! Lovely in some soft rolls and some ketchup :) It is in the free from section
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I lived with housemates for a 2 years where they did all the cooking and I did other chores. They only made vegetarian meals, and if I didn't like it then I made my own. I got enough meat from when I went out for dinner and from all my lunches so it was fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

+1

Not every vegan is a card carrying member of PETA.

PETA I

What specific deficiencies are you talking about?

I am not sure what your problem is with soy (a food also eaten by omnivores), but vegetarians can choose to eat soy or not.

You come across as rather ill-informed. You can find evidence of anything online. If there are actual reliable resources documenting that one cannot be healthy as a vegetarian, why not link to those?

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Right?

wait.

I lol'd