300lbs and would love to start running!!

2»

Replies

• Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Numb5kull wrote: »
    While I admire and share your same goal, you may want to reconsider this until you are closer to your target. Running generates an incredible amount of impact on your joints and feet, magnified to the nth degree when severely overweight. Risk of injury or damage to the muscular/skeletal structure is pretty high.

For me, my decision was easy, keep churning and wait until I am closer...its not worth doing damage and not being able to work out at all as a result due to injury. Not trying to be the buzz kill here, but running at 300 pounds is probably not a great idea.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I started out at 370 and all I did was walk, I had the urge to run but couldn't. I walked, and walked as fast as I could. Once I got to 250 I started the couch 2 5k. Just be good to your knees and ankles. Good luck!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    In my opinion you can walk every day. Listen to your body and if you need a rest day then rest. But (again my opinion) don't rest 2 days in a row or you risk ruining your new habit. Good job to you for getting out there! You can totally do this!
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    I couldnt agree more. I am 286, started at 294, so pretty close to 300lbs. I do walk/run, and can run for maybe about 20 seconds at a time if I'm lucky, except those 20 seconds are pure hell. I pushed myself to do a little more running yesterday and now I have to take þenday off. Running, no matter how slow I do it or my form, or shoes, it's still hard on my body.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    DO NOT RUN.... yet. You need to start with low impact exercise in the beginning. Otherwise you could damage your knees and ankles. Weekly swimming (two sessions per week) and daily cycling blended with 5000 steps of walking each day is the smartest way for you to begin your journey. Increase your step count 10% each day day until you reach 10,000 steps daily. Each day ride a bike on local, low-stress errands where you're not pressed for time. As you begin to experience muscle soreness and tightness, consider doing some stretching, especially Yoga poses, which will improve your posture and make you more flexible and balanced. Beyond that, you can increase your cycling and swimming until you reach a point where you are ready to begin the C25k program with its alternating walking/running scheme. Good luck to you - I've been there and it's a great journey!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I used diet and walking to get my weight under 300 (previous :cry: ) before I started using Zombies 5k (think C25k with zombies. And missions.), and there at the beginning I definitely did the first few days a few times in a row, if anything it adds something to the boring old walk. But every dr I've ever had has said walk, just walk.
  • RolemodelmomT
    RolemodelmomT Posts: 107 Member
    Unfortunately swimming is not an option, no pool around here :(, but I can definitely incorporate the biking. Thanks again, you have all been very helpful and although its sad; the running will have to wait!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Very good points, I did wonder about the impact on my joints. Walking to start it is!! I did before, but 6 months of snow ended that, so back to square one and start again and this time I will put in the extra effort to make sure I get out there at least 3x as week. Or because it is walking not running, would there be a problem doing it every day? Seems like a stupid question, but just want to be sure.

There shouldn’t be a reason you can’t walk every day (except maybe weather), but gauge how well you’re recovering from each session and take a day off if you don’t feel fully recovered. I still recommend getting good shoes (walking shoes in this case).
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    You've gotten some great advice on running. So I'll address the chest issue.

I researched quite a few sports bras before setting on the Enell. Their design uses both compression and encapsulation for support. It's excellent for high impact sports like running. Its probably overkill if you're only planning on low impact cardio. The fit is true to size. So measure accurately.

Downsides: It has a lot of snaps. Costs almost $70. Has a strong profile and is highly visible under thinner workout shirts. Fine under T-shirts. For me the level support far outweighs these.

Best of luck on your journey to a healthy new you!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I would start by walking. Walk at a comfortable pace for e.g. 30 minutes. You can walk everyday, as long as the pace is really comfortable, even if it means a toddler would go faster. Once you are back into this routine, then try a program like c25k.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Definitely walking for now. At 300 pounds, the calorie burns will still be significant. Try to walk at a fast enough pace that you get slightly out of breath. You can even do that in intervals (slower walk for 3 minutes, as fast as you can walk for one minute). You'll get some great exercise and help get yourself ready for when you can run.
  • RolemodelmomT
    37lbs_to-go...Thank you for bra info. Will definitely look into it. I am proud of them and do not want them to be at my knees by the end of this journey...so taking care of them is a must, lol :)!!
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    For myself running at 300 pounds was not an option. I just hit 230 and still just do short jogging spurts. I lost my weight walking at least 2 miles a day and trying to keep them under 16 minutes a mile. I was shooting for 14 minutes and blew out my wives knee. Im very surprised at how effective a couple daily walks can be.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Very similar story to yours - former runner with a bad knee and just let myself go. I was at ~280 and started slowly. I used an elliptical to get the most out of cardio and low impact and did a lot of walking and biking and incorporated weight lifting. I would run short distances, but only what I was comfortable with. At ~230 I can run a 10k, but still looking to cut another 20-25lbs or so.

Key point - ice those legs after each workout. Use alternating warm/cold water to increase circulation. Keep a shoe log and don't run on a shoe longer than 6 months (depends on quality, but you'll notice the difference when the padding goes).
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Like others have already mentioned, I would start out with walking first and build up to fast walking and then running. I was at 280 pounds at one time but have knee problems and can't run due to bone on bone even after loosing alot of weight. I've tried and it is just too hard and hurts my bad knees.
    Get a good pair of running shoes. You may have to pay over $100 for them but it will be worth it in the long run. Get a good sports bra also. Enell are recommended highly by alot of people that a full busted. I have a Moving Comfort Mia style underwire sports bra that I finally found that works for me.
    Good luck!
  • RolemodelmomT
    spfldpam wrote: »
    Get a good sports bra also. Enell are recommended highly by alot of people that a full busted. I have a Moving Comfort Mia style underwire sports bra that I finally found that works for me.
    Good luck!

This is awesome!! I have never heard of Enell, but I have just looked it up and I think it's going to be wonderful! Thanks so much.
  • RolemodelmomT
    Numb5kull wrote: »
    While I admire and share your same goal, you may want to reconsider this until you are closer to your target. Running generates an incredible amount of impact on your joints and feet, magnified to the nth degree when severely overweight. Risk of injury or damage to the muscular/skeletal structure is pretty high.

For me, my decision was easy, keep churning and wait until I am closer...its not worth doing damage and not being able to work out at all as a result due to injury. Not trying to be the buzz kill here, but running at 300 pounds is probably not a great idea.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Thank you for your insight and the way you worded it. Very sound advice!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Yes to walking first. Yes to new shoes. And when you get shoes, tell them you'll be on gravel. Nothing aggravates my feet more than gravel. It's the pits to walk or run on :(
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    In addition I have a very big chest so that has always hindered me too, but now I don't care...no more excuses

Find a speciality running shop that caters to women, not just for shoes; they should know how to outfit you properly with one of the excellent sports bras now available. Protect the girls!

I completely admire your desire to get out and run but agree with the others on starting slow. Incorporate really brisk walking into your daily life and you'll get most of the same benefits running gives you and the calorie deficit will help to your weight reduction goals. If you stick with it, you'll drop significant weight between now and fall, or now and next spring - don't force a time line just focus on steady progress. When you are ready I bet you'll know yourself.

For folks like us slow and steady will win the race. Believe it!