Should you stretch and cool down after a workout?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,943 Member
I teach a strength class after a regular Zumba class and there are a couple of ladies who'll sit outside the studio (glass so they can be seen) while I'm doing it stretching for about 30 minutes. I was asked by a few people if this was necessary to do after working out and for that long. My answer to them was not necessary, but more of a preference.
One asked about all the "lactic acid build up" though. Stretching may help a little, but there's no peer reviewed studies I've seen that actually support it.
So why stretch? You stretch for flexibility, especially for flexibility in movements you intend to do. Does it have to be after a workout? No, since you can stretch at any time as long as your muscles are sufficiently warmed up. I believe it's important to have decent flexibility whether you exercise or not (stretching actually is an exercise) though. Less flexibility limits certain movements for people (some who can't hold a barbell behind their back due to lack of ROM) like squats.

Do you need to cool down? Well let's put it this way: Watch any professional or even good amateur sporting event. How many times have you seen the athletes do a "cool down" after a game? I'm betting none. How has this affected their performance? And in the case the team has to go out the next day and play again, does not doing a cool down cause bad play the next day?
As with stretching, it's a matter of preference. Just walking around a couple of minutes till your heart rate gets closer to normal is a decent enough "cool down".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Good stuff Niner. Flexibility is very important and even if they don't stretch immediately post-workout they should probably stretch at some point. A lot of aches and pains are caused by simple issues with mobility. I'm not sure why people are hung-up on lactic acid build-up; it's been proven at this point that lactic acid is not the cause of DOM's. Or at least the larger body of evidence suggests it's not.
  • ninerbuff
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Good stuff Niner. Flexibility is very important and even if they don't stretch immediately post-workout they should probably stretch at some point. A lot of aches and pains are caused by simple issues with mobility. I'm not sure why people are hung-up on lactic acid build-up; it's been proven at this point that lactic acid is not the cause of DOM's. Or at least the larger body of evidence suggests it's not.
    It's because people are listening to trainers/instructors who aren't that well educated. Many just echo what other peers are telling them. Part of the reason I despise the corporate fitness industry. There's philosophies and then there's actual science.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    I just love it for flexibility!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    50 and over...I live and die by the stretching that I put in my life for my overall health, to diminish aches, pains and for aging gracefully...and for great, great posture! nice post niner. Have you ever noticed older people hunching over as they age...hip flexors were never stretched out! All that happens to our bodies because we do not stretch so we shrink.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 590 Member
    Actually if you watch the Olympics - I'm going to reference swimming because it's the most obvious - they have a pool dedicated to cooling down after a race so yes, I have seen athletes do a cool down. In fact I've seen them cut their post race interviews short so that they can get to the cool down pool.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Personally I should definitely stretch after a workout. Since I have been I have noticed lots of improvements in my movement and comfort just getting around. Not to mention that a lot of my chronic (car crash induced) lower back pain is alleviated by daily stretching of my hips, glutes and hamstrings. As soon as I miss a few days in a row, my back starts to ache.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I do Tabata in the morning before work and sometimes ppl skip out early. My instructor said she's seen students pass out if they haven't taken the time to slow down - that is, stretch and cool down.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    My exercise I would say is typically moderate - high intensity, with cardio and heavy weights. Over the last few years, stretching and "cooling down" was just not on my list of things to do (maybe a little bit before exercise, but nothing afterwards).

This year, I noticed the impact it was having. I always felt "tense" everywhere. If someone poked my thigh - it felt incredible. Even the slightest rub felt like I was getting a deep tissue massage! My legs were tight and eventually it was like everything about me was constantly in a "tense" state (my face, my back, my legs, everything).

I thought, maybe I could start stretching after my workouts. Well now I go back and forth (from stretching to not stretching) depending on the day. The days that I do stretch...what a difference! Consistency makes a difference too, but I no longer feel tense all the time and my jaw no longer clenches when I am just sitting around watching tv.

I do not know 100% if the lack of stretching caused this, but since stretching I noticed a difference (just my experience).
  • ninerbuff
    urloved33 wrote: »
    50 and over...I live and die by the stretching that I put in my life for my overall health, to diminish aches, pains and for aging gracefully...and for great, great posture! nice post niner. Have you ever noticed older people hunching over as they age...hip flexors were never stretched out! All that happens to our bodies because we do not stretch so we shrink.
    Actually (since I do work in a Wellness Center with a huge senior population) it's not due to stretching, but due to lack of physical strength. Many studies show that seniors who participate in a resistance training program definitely have much less issues with posture.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    Actually if you watch the Olympics - I'm going to reference swimming because it's the most obvious - they have a pool dedicated to cooling down after a race so yes, I have seen athletes do a cool down. In fact I've seen them cut their post race interviews short so that they can get to the cool down pool.
    Hmm, I haven't seen it, but that could be due to editing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    I do Tabata in the morning before work and sometimes ppl skip out early. My instructor said she's seen students pass out if they haven't taken the time to slow down - that is, stretch and cool down.
    Anecdotal though. I've taught for several years and haven't seen that happen ever in the same situation.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    dakotababy wrote: »
    My exercise I would say is typically moderate - high intensity, with cardio and heavy weights. Over the last few years, stretching and "cooling down" was just not on my list of things to do (maybe a little bit before exercise, but nothing afterwards).

This year, I noticed the impact it was having. I always felt "tense" everywhere. If someone poked my thigh - it felt incredible. Even the slightest rub felt like I was getting a deep tissue massage! My legs were tight and eventually it was like everything about me was constantly in a "tense" state (my face, my back, my legs, everything).

I thought, maybe I could start stretching after my workouts. Well now I go back and forth (from stretching to not stretching) depending on the day. The days that I do stretch...what a difference! Consistency makes a difference too, but I no longer feel tense all the time and my jaw no longer clenches when I am just sitting around watching tv.

I do not know 100% if the lack of stretching caused this, but since stretching I noticed a difference (just my experience).
    One thing could also be that more experienced training taught you how to effectively use all your muscle fibers unlike when you were a novice.
    But then again, many people "relax" when then stretch, and just lowering tension down is a good thing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I love a good stretch as part of my cool down, always have. I think the more intense the effort the more a cool down is needed. Doesn't have to be long, but even just walking a minute or 2 helps.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Personally, it was just nice to slow down and walk home after a run. I can actually take in the scenery.
  • ninerbuff
    rybo wrote: »
    I love a good stretch as part of my cool down, always have. I think the more intense the effort the more a cool down is needed. Doesn't have to be long, but even just walking a minute or 2 helps.
    That's what I do. Finish a workout and I'll take the "long" way around to my vehicle if I'm leaving. If I have to stay for a client or class, I rerack weights and clean up as my cool down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I was swimming competitively we did cool-downs but a lot of that was because you can get real hot real fast if you get out of the pool right away. It's much nicer to stay in the water until you cool down than to get out and suddenly start feeling all that sweat. I think the 'cool down pool' is just so they get out of the main pool to make room for the next heat.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    I never used to stretch because I saw it as a waste of time (I am already overly flexible). BUT since I started stretching and using the foam roller after workouts, my recovery time and DOMS time have MUCH reduced. (From 3-4 days to 1-2 days.)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Actually (since I do work in a Wellness Center with a huge senior population) it's not due to stretching, but due to lack of physical strength. Many studies show that seniors who participate in a resistance training program definitely have much less issues with posture.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Last semester we had a section on special populations and we discussed exercise for seniors. It's very important just to stay physically active when you're 50+, otherwise muscle function will diminish and quality of life will suffer. One study I read indicated that resistance training even just twice a week was good for improving muscle function and cardio-respiratory function in seniors 65+. Now I find myself arguing with my dad (61) about getting active and not just sitting around and reading every day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Last semester we had a section on special populations and we discussed exercise for seniors. It's very important just to stay physically active when you're 50+, otherwise muscle function will diminish and quality of life will suffer. One study I read indicated that resistance training even just twice a week was good for improving muscle function and cardio-respiratory function in seniors 65+. Now I find myself arguing with my dad (61) about getting active and not just sitting around and reading every day.

I am a former body builder (35-45) and my muscle mass was and is just fine now at 55...but I was too tight and never stretched and my tight hip flexors were actually pulling my upper body forward...like a hunch. i joined yoga...and poof perfect posture again./

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oh my god, I hear you. I'm trying to get my mom to just go for walks. She says that because she goes up and down three flights of stairs several times every day (because she has to), she's got fitness "in reserve" and that if she had to walk, she could, so she figures it's all good. I'm hoping she'll get back into gardening this year, at least.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,371 Member
    I stretch after lifting just to get the kinks out. It always feels like I've been tensed up, focusing on form and working the target muscles, and I just want to loosen everything up again. I actually do a quick back stretch after each pushup set and on leg day I do a specific hamstring stretch my physiotherapist taught me (past injury unrelated to lifting).
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    I always stretch after workouts, but I've danced all my life and flexibility is important, so I never even considered not stretching. As for cool-downs, I agree that just moving around until your heart rates comes down a bit is all you really need.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I teach a strength class after a regular Zumba class and there are a couple of ladies who'll sit outside the studio (glass so they can be seen) while I'm doing it stretching for about 30 minutes. I was asked by a few people if this was necessary to do after working out and for that long. My answer to them was not necessary, but more of a preference.

Good post. Sounds like those ladies are using stretching as an excuse to get their social lives caught up on ;) After my one class everyone stays around to "stretch" but it is way more chit-chatting then actual stretching going on!!!

On a weird side note: There are a lot of similar myths in equestrian sports relating to the horses.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2015
    Cyclists do wind-downs.
    I believe that the harder the workout session, the better the benefits from cooldown. Intense WO, especially above anaerobic threshold, triggers a cascade of hormones and puts the body in sympathetic state. A cooldown helps the body back to a parasympathetic state. I have no support for this, but I truly believe that letting the body pump out the hormonal cocktail of cortisol, adrenaline, glucocorticoids etc. more than necessary is not good for the body as a whole.

However, there was a study that showed permanently elevated cortisol is catabolic. So reducing stress is a good thing. Sometimes I do sauna after workout, cause it's a really fast way to wind down :D

Stretching by caring for the tissue that often get inflamed; fascia, tendons and ligaments is a big part of the recovery process for ME.

I also think that stretching in general gets more important as we age. There's a reason joints are so susceptible to injury. Less blood flow = less nutrients to repair.

A funny detail: Cats and dogs usually stretch their limbs when they change position from lying down to getting up. I think we probably could learn something there.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Foamroller wrote: »
    A funny detail: Cats and dogs usually stretch their limbs when they change position from lying down to getting up. I think we probably could learn something there.

And they do it without doing cardio first to "warm up". :+1:

• Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I watched all of the last olympics, actually had the whole time off to watch it and they used to show the swimmers in the cool down pool, divers go of to a cool down pool too and if you watch road cycling and the velodrome you'll see riders on rollers cooling down, then there's the tennis players at wimbledon who have their practice courts where they warm up, I watched a programme on Andy Murray before now and he has ice baths after a game and even had one in a wheelie bin.

I think if these athletes from this mix of sports warm up and cool down theres got to be something in it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Personally, it was just nice to slow down and walk home after a run. I can actually take in the scenery.

That's why I cool down. Just to take a moment, cool off a bit and get my heart rate back down to normal. If there's scenery, like after outdoor runs, bonus.

Days I do outdoor runs I usually go 1/2-1 mile farther than necessary just to have some walking time. I hate days where I'm short on time and have to run all the way home.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I watched all of the last olympics, actually had the whole time off to watch it and they used to show the swimmers in the cool down pool, divers go of to a cool down pool too and if you watch road cycling and the velodrome you'll see riders on rollers cooling down, then there's the tennis players at wimbledon who have their practice courts where they warm up, I watched a programme on Andy Murray before now and he has ice baths after a game and even had one in a wheelie bin.

I think if these athletes from this mix of sports warm up and cool down theres got to be something in it.

The ice baths are because frigid temps help with preventing/reducing inflammation and swelling. That's why you're advised to put ice packs on sprains, etc. But that's not the type of 'cool-down' that ninerbuff is referring to, anyway.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    I'm another oldie (47) who swears by my post-run stretching.

After dealing with some aches and pains in my knees and hips, I took a tip from a friend and began doing a post-run yoga routine I found on YouTube (the Yoga With Adriene channel). The pain is gone and I feel confident I can keep running for many more years to come.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Ahhhhhh thank you for this information. The child care at my gym will only watch children for 2 hours and I need to do a 2 hour run sometimes and I hate to waste my time stretching after my run.