New to Smoothies

Options
Are you a smoothie drinker? Please impart your wisdom here, I'm new to smoothies.
Fav recipes?
Most awesome ingredients?
What are the best units for making smoothies?

Replies

• njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    One of my go to smoothie recipes is 1 scoop whey protein powder, cup of almond milk, tbsp natural peanut butter, banana and some ice. Sometimes I'll add a tbsp of instant coffee if I'm drinking it for lunch to give me a little pick me up for the afternoon.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My favorite ingredients: protein powder, oats, berries, peanut butter, maple syrup, spinach, banana

I don't necessarily recommend all at once though!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, cranberries, raspberries
    Vanilla froyo
    Vanilla whey protein

Om nom
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I make mine with kiwi, banana, strawberry, pineapple, chia seeds, flax seeds and coconut water. Different amounts depending on how I'm feeling but always the same ingredients. I'm not a breakfast person so this is my morning breakfast. I use the nutribullet to mix it up.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Can you suggest some non-dairy recipes as well?
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    gagnon9691 wrote: »
    I make mine with kiwi, banana, strawberry, pineapple, chia seeds, flax seeds and coconut water. Different amounts depending on how I'm feeling but always the same ingredients. I'm not a breakfast person so this is my morning breakfast. I use the nutribullet to mix it up.
    Sounds really good!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    frozen berries, spinach, kale, almond milk, greek yogurt (you could try soy), pb2 OR matcha, moringa, goji berries and sliced almonds are my go-to morning smoothie. So delicious!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LOVE smoothies in the summer - watch out though - they get to be high in calories so I stricly use them to "replace" a meal - like when Im at a 16 hour horse show and know if i dont pack a healthy smoothie to drink while Im running around...lunch will be snickers and frito lays...

I use water for the base of everything - almond milk if Im looking for that ice cream consistency (nothing against milk, just has fewer calories and a bit more protein).

May I give Nutribullet a plug? That thing is amazing - it pulverizes everything, i mean everything, sometimes i throw my WHOLE vitamins in there.... and you dont have to worry about seeds or anything like that....because it basically liquifies anything you put in it - even flax and chia.

Sorry back to smoothies if Im doing the ol' protein powder - its just 5 ice cubes, protein powder, water, and a spalsh of almond milk - Nutribullet for a few (loud) pulverizing minutes - and you have - ice cream - legit. its amazing.

Other fav's are simply water, ice and berries - or frozen berries, with a banana for thickness and some honey for sweetness, or peanut butter for more flavor. Its really all about experimenting! Id love to say I throw in kale and spinach.... but i dont ;-(.

I have thrown in beets because they dont have much taste and they make the color really fun! Same with carrots!

also in the fall - water, lots of ice, apples, cinnamon, honey, and almosnd milk - YUM
    Summer i do berries, lots and lots of frozen berries.

And not for nothing.... the ultimate (non healthy) thing to do with my nutrubullet???? Handful of frozen strawberries, couple ice cubes, 2 ounces of vodka, top with heavy whipping creme.... OMG.... you have no idea....
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    MissMissle wrote: »
    LOVE smoothies in the summer - watch out though - they get to be high in calories so I stricly use them to "replace" a meal - like when Im at a 16 hour horse show and know if i dont pack a healthy smoothie to drink while Im running around...lunch will be snickers and frito lays...

I use water for the base of everything - almond milk if Im looking for that ice cream consistency (nothing against milk, just has fewer calories and a bit more protein).

May I give Nutribullet a plug? That thing is amazing - it pulverizes everything, i mean everything, sometimes i throw my WHOLE vitamins in there.... and you dont have to worry about seeds or anything like that....because it basically liquifies anything you put in it - even flax and chia.

Sorry back to smoothies if Im doing the ol' protein powder - its just 5 ice cubes, protein powder, water, and a spalsh of almond milk - Nutribullet for a few (loud) pulverizing minutes - and you have - ice cream - legit. its amazing.

Other fav's are simply water, ice and berries - or frozen berries, with a banana for thickness and some honey for sweetness, or peanut butter for more flavor. Its really all about experimenting! Id love to say I throw in kale and spinach.... but i dont ;-(.

I have thrown in beets because they dont have much taste and they make the color really fun! Same with carrots!

also in the fall - water, lots of ice, apples, cinnamon, honey, and almosnd milk - YUM
    Summer i do berries, lots and lots of frozen berries.

And not for nothing.... the ultimate (non healthy) thing to do with my nutrubullet???? Handful of frozen strawberries, couple ice cubes, 2 ounces of vodka, top with heavy whipping creme.... OMG.... you have no idea....
    Haha! Thanks, and I've been wondering about that nutribullet.
    How small can you make a drink? My current blender ends up making a big drink.

• MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The nutribullet comes with an attachement that I want to say is 12 ounces - but you can only fill it a little over 2/3 the way (theres a line) - but it gets like, bigger, like the volume grows pretty much every time and you end up with a full 12 ounce cup - you can always split it and freeze half of it for later if you didnt want the entire thing - or just put less in the cup to start with.

The protein things I make for example - are just the proten powder, 5 ice cubes, maybe a half cup of almond milk and a half cup of water - so only a cup of liquid, but when everythign is blended it fills the 12 oz cup to the top because of the ice.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Are you a smoothie drinker? Please impart your wisdom here, I'm new to smoothies.
    Fav recipes?
    Most awesome ingredients?
    What are the best units for making smoothies?

It's a personal taste thing, I drink them occasionally and I only make the delicious kind.... so what's delicious to me is a scoop of whey, banana, pineapple, mango, blueberries, tbs cinnamon and 2-3tbs apple cider vinegar.

• Justygirl77
    Options
    I just got a Nutribullet Rx. It can make soup, too!!! Can it make sorbets?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I go to Pinterest and look for recipes. Also, I've found that cutting and freezing my fruit in pre-measured baggies is a huge help. Do it with bananas too, because that makes your smoothie creamier, like a milkshake. I like to add lots of veggies to mine, so I keep baby spinach around. Fresh ginger is also a nice addition. You can buy pre-cut and frozen bags of mixed fruits, berries, etc. in the freezer department of most groceries.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It totally does sorbet! I did one the other night with Frozen unsweetened mango, orange tangerine juice and vodka. Delish. I had to add a little stevia though.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Frozen peach slices,unsweetened almond milk,peachGreek yogurt ,dash of almond flavoring,1/2 of vanilla protein powder,handfull of ice cubes....Ninja turns it into 225 cals of yummy stuff.
    I/2 C peach slices 50 cals
    1C almond milk 45
    yogurt 80
    powder 50.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Can you suggest some non-dairy recipes as well?

You can just substitute plant milk for any dairy milk, plant yogurt for any dairy yogurt, etc.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think one of the keys to a nutritious and good tasting smoothie is combining veggies and fruits together, also adding a variety of seeds etc. to provide even more nutritional boost. A pure veggie smoothie is going to be lower calorie but a bit challenging in the taste department while a pure fruit smoothie will drive the sugar content up considerably.

I make my smoothies with a Nutribullet and use unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla), throw in spinach, chocolate (malt) protein powder, chia and flax seeds, ginger root, frozen pineapple chunks, cacao powder and green "superfood" powder. I also sometimes add in carrot and/or celery, greek yogurt, a splash of tart cherry juice. It usually comes out quite flavorful and provides a lot of nutrients and fiber content.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use cashew milk for a creamier texture! I like cashew milk, 1 frozen banana, and a serving of low calorie pudding mix. Curves my sweet tooth.