Body fat calculation

Options
Im 5'6" 44 year old male. Lost 45 pounds a year ago and have been maintaining this weight for a year.

I'd like to put some mass on, what is the best way to calculate my body fat percentage to see if I'm at the right place to start my first bulk?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Best way?
    If willing to do the expense and perhaps even find a place doing it - DEXA scan, which gives breakdown of muscle separate from rest of the Lean Body Mass (LBM - everything but fat).

Along those same lines but cheaper - hydrostatic measuring, only FM and LBM.

Cheaper and perhaps easier to find and accurate enough - Bodpod, only FM/LBM.

Cheapest and potentially accurate enough, would show direction as changes occur, but if you have a body part that throws off the average, could be a problem for accuracy - average a bunch of 5% methods together, BIA scale, measuring calcs, 7-site skinfold in experienced hands.
    Average of 4 different results there while you progress may be close enough. The measuring you'll likely do anyway just to see progress, though the sites selected may be different.

www.free-online-calculator-use.com/skin-fold-test.html
    www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I knew of some places that did DEXA scans for $40. I considered it but instead when with a 7-site skinfold text with certified trainers that had degrees from universities specializing in sports.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I started out doing 7-site skinfold caliper measurements last year. This year, I got an Omron Body fat analyzer for ease of use. Each measuring method is likely to give you a different reading, though those higher on the list provided by heybales are the most accurate. What I use is good for getting me in the ballpark, and it works just fine for tracking trends. Here's a link if you are interested.. less than $32 atm on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Monitor-model-HBF-306C-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427912088&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+body+fat
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using a mirror to see if you are at a good place to start. Are your abs visible? If so, even not ripped, I would say you would be at a good place to start bulking.
  • heybales
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I would suggest using a mirror to see if you are at a good place to start. Are your abs visible? If so, even not ripped, I would say you would be at a good place to start bulking.

This should really have a name.

How many ribs would be good to see? - then it becomes the, say, 4-rib method to bulking.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies!! Forgot to mention I was at 200 lbs, now at 155 lbs. was at 145 for a while last summer and really felt that was too lean for me personally. But also didn't have muscle tone back after the big weight loss and probably lost some muscle during that process too.

Tone is back now and I do feel like I can see some mass gains. I'll take a picture when I get home, not a big selfie taker though.
  • kjablinskey
    Options
    einnb69fwdr3.jpg
    9it8bbzbekng.jpg
  • terizius
    Options
    I've read in a few places that if someone is under 15%, they can bulk. Anything over that, they should cut. The reasoning is because we tend to attract more of what we have. So, someone who is very lean, is more likely to gain muscle. Someone that has more fat is more likely to gain fat. The same holds true for losing weight. That being said I'd say you could probably bulk and see good results, being aware that a cut may not be too far in the future if you want to limit your body fat%
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Use calipers. They're cheap, easy and accurate. You can bulk whenever you want. There's no need to get all mathematical about it.
  • heybales
    Options
    Use calipers. They're cheap, easy and accurate. You can bulk whenever you want. There's no need to get all mathematical about it.

Actually, there are issues with bulking when you have extra fat beyond a certain point, which blunts the effects of insulin, which is going to help you bulk in the first place.

So you don't get nearly the bang for the buck of extra food being eaten, more will go on as fat.

So genetics obviously plays a part there, but since many starting out don't have a genetic test to determine that, best to go on generally found recommendations.
    Which it sounds like the OP was familiar with.

What's accurate mean for calipers - and in whose hands?
    While the stats from studies shown here are decent, is that accurate?
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html
  • jamesmorin59
    jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My way of thinking is cut a little now before a bulk and a little after a bulk,
    I thought the aim was to be cutting for as short a period of time as possible to keep maximum lean muscle
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Look at the photos of the OP. He's in good shape. Ready to bulk in my book.

Calipers are equivalent to DEXA in accuracy if you take 30 seconds to learn to use them: http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=260
  • kjablinskey
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for the input. Going by PU 239's pictures, I'd place myself somewhere around 20%. From what I've been hearing and reading that's the higher end of where you'd want to be to start a bulk and get optimal results.

I think I may have been better off dropping another five pounds before starting a bulk, but since I'm in a couple weeks I think I'll keep going. I've got some momentum going and I think that's worth keeping in a trade off with stopping to lose weight now.

Great group of people here, really appreciate the advice, I'll be posting more questions soon enough I'm sure!!
  • terizius
    Options
    Keep us posted on the bulk. I for one like to see the results and the efforts taken to get there. I believe that accurate records keeping is invaluable to knowing what exactly is going on with your body.
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you on your journey and definitely keep us updated on your progress! It's nice to see others following a similar path to your own so it definitely helps the motivation :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    OP looking good. I'd agree to get your bf down further though. It makes things a lot easier, and you will get a higher muscle to fat ratio.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Good post. I learned a lot from you guys!!
  • kjablinskey
    Options
    Ok, rethinking it all now.

Going to follow the advice of those more experienced than me. Going to drop down a few pounds before I try to bulk. Going to shoot for around ten pounds lighter before starting.

While I do that, looking to research some whole body workouts to use once I get started bulking. I currently use sandbags at home and really like those types of whole body workouts but I'm open to the idea of joining a gym and some more traditional workouts.

Any suggestions?
  • terizius
    Options
    Generally, more experienced lifters will do split routines - working only one or two body parts a day. I've tried quite a few and created some of my own, but one of my go to favorites is the one I'm doing now - Shortcut to Size. You can find it here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html Its a 4 day split. I've modified it slightly to fit my preferences and equipment. I used it last year to great effect and am doing the same this year on my bulk. I will switch to a pure strength-based program when I do my cut in a few months.
  • terizius
    Options
    Also, I have a gym membership, and I like the variety of equipment, the sauna and the pool (not to mention the childcare). But even still, I may invest in a home set up including a power rack, bench, dumbbells up to 100lbs and barbell with 400lbs. I would be a very happy guy with that setup. Something to consider.