C25K Stretching?

Options
I am on week 3, day 3 of C25K and I have done the workouts once every other day. I follow the plan and run when the app tells me to etc. I don't do any stretching, I just do the 5 minute warm up and cooldown. For the last ten days or so my legs have had a slight ache around the kneecap and ankles. I still do the runs as the pain isn't intense and it doesn't hurt to run.

I plan to invest in some budget running trainers (any recommendations for anything below £30!?) as I currently run in Primark running shoes. However I'm also wondering if I should start stretching before and after running to help prevent/decrease pain?

Replies

• manham98
    manham98 Posts: 1
    Options
    Check SportsDirect, they've got great deals for running shoes :)
    There are some good Nikes and Karrimor shoes on deal
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For the running shoes, go to a running store and get your feet fitted for shoes that will fit you specifically. See if they have any sales on the shoes that will fit your feet. If not then now you know what style of shoe you need, so all you have to do is go online and find a cheap pair that won't wear down easily.

Now about stretching, IMO that is a personal preference. Some people will tell not to stretch before but only after a run, some will tell you to stretch before but not after, and others will tell that you should do both. Me personally when I started doing the C25K my "warmup" was a light walk with mild stretching added in: walking lunges, high knee walks, a few arm stretches, etc. and then afterwards for my "cool down" I would do the same thing.

Now-a-days I always do a 5 minute warm up that includes jumping jacks, high knees, lunges (forwards and side), and supermans before each run. After my run I always cool down with just a 5 minute walk, gradually walking slower every 30 seconds, and afterwards I might stretch my hamstrings and my calves but it depends on how far I ran on that day or if I'm breaking in new running shoes.

Update: Also, you might want to read this, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10125652/should-you-stretch-and-cool-down-after-a-workout#latest, it's pretty helpful.