Stopped losing weight

Options
I've been using this app for 10 weeks. My goal was to lose 10 lbs. in 10 weeks, so I have my calorie limit set for losing a pound per week. I lost a pound per week for the first 4 weeks. Then... nothing. I've maintained for 6 weeks now, and I'm getting frustrated.

I weigh and measure everything I eat. I run and/or bike 5 days per week. I do a pretty solid job of keeping my macros balanced (I added in a protein supplement because I wasn't hitting my daily protein goal when I first started).

What gives?

Replies

• melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1- Patience, things take time.
    2- are you tracking accurately (is your goal set correctly, are you over estimating calories burned, underestimating calories consumed?)
    3- are you eating the right foods.

Also with so little weight to lose, 1lb a weeks is very ambitious and not really realistic. When you are so close to ideal weight you can expect to see changes in the 0.25-0.5lbs range weekly.

If you open up your diary, you may be able to get more insight. But that's totally up to you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    normal body stuff...but your goals are too aggressive btw...you should aim for 1/2lb a week...you didn't put those 10lbs on in 10 weeks did you?

I personally would look at the calories burned if you are sure you are measuring/weighing correctly and logging accurately.

CICO....it's a math equation and if you aren't losing the equation is off.

• dana7137
    dana7137 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As far as tracking exercise, I use a Garmin. I know that the calories burned may not be *exactly* accurate, but I also don't usually eat back all of the calories that the device says I burned. Also, according to other running calculators I have used, I generally burn 100 calories/mile when I run; the Garmin is accurate based on that.
  • jmasci20
    jmasci20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I bet you're not burning that many calories running. I use a heart rate monitor and only log 80% of the amount shown. I also agree with others that you're bound to hit a big plateau if you're halfway to a 10lb goal. I have 4 to go with 13 hone and I'm bracing myself for the slowdown!
  • dana7137
    Options
    I don't see how you could assert that opinion without knowing a) how much I weigh, and b) how strenuous my workouts are. I don't subscribe to the cliche theory of, "I guess you must be doing it wrong!" unless there is some specific thing that can be pointed out and a real solution. It only adds to my frustration. I understand basic math and the principle of CICO. I religiously weigh, measure, and count my calories and accurately log my exercise to the best of my ability, given the technology that is available to me (i.e., this app and Garmin's app). I am literally doing everything I can (including spending half the day with a growling stomach) to lose these last 6 pounds. Randomly ignoring 20% of the calories I burn doesn't seem like a valid solution to me. Did you arrive at that number scientifically? Should I randomly add a percentage to everything I eat, too? :/
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Since you understand basic math you probably understand margin of error.

the fact is you say you have not lost any fat for 6 weeks so lets assume you are eating at maintance even though you think you are eating at a 500 calorie a day deficit.

500 calories is actually pretty easy number to be off if you have not honed your program over a length of time. the typical areas of " calorie leak" as I call it can often be found in

1. the food database. try using the USDA entry from the database or entering your own items based off off your own research.

2. calories burned. areas to be addressed here. a. your BMR is not accurate. B. you exercise and daily activity burn is wrong.

you can either make some assumptions here and make adjustments or go back to square one and do some testing to get accurate BMR and TDEE to find your actual number.

MFP, Garmin, Strava, heart rate monitors, they all have a margin of error and unless you test and track you will not know exactly what that is.

So if you want scientific, get busy testing your BRM and TDEE and make sure all your food entries are based off USDA data. or just assume your exercise burn rate and logging is off by the fact you have not lost any fat in 6 weeks and readjust your program by the desired daily deficit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The science is you are not losing then you are either retaining enough water to offset loss or not losing.

Netting 100 calories per mile means an approximate weight of 158.7 pounds.
  • dana7137
    Options
    I have researched the things I eat most often to be sure that I am getting as accurate of a calorie count as possible. A lot of the entries in the database are complete garbage, and I know that.

What type of test(s) would determine a more accurate BMR and TDEE?

The thing that is throwing me is that I was losing the weight steadily at the beginning and then it just stopped.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    as an example of exercise calorie burn margin of error.

I ride my bike 150 miles a week on a regimented training routine that includes max effort days, interval training days, base mile days.

Using a garmin GPS, cadence sensor and heart rate monitor and the data crunched trough Starva using their alothograms I get my power measured in watts and kilojoule used.

I have logged and tracked it on spreadsheets and over a period of time comparing the calories thought to be burned to actual results I was able to ascertain the margin of error with my program.
  • dana7137
    Options
    The science is you are not losing then you are either retaining enough water to offset loss or not losing.

Can you give me the equation through which you arrived at that number?
  • eh_2002
    eh_2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have also hit a plateau and I have been told by 2 different people that I need to up my calorie intake for a week or two to try to get things going again.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dana7137 wrote: »

Can you give me the equation through which you arrived at that number?

weight in pounds x distance in miles x .63

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

All online formulae are based on averages ... but ... the 100 cal per mile estimation without factoring weight is meaningless.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Potential stall reasons: you're eating more than you think, you're burning less than you think, medical issue affecting weight loss.

You mentioned in your first post that you have been stalled for 6 weeks. You could give it another 4-6 to see if anything changes, or take 100-200 off your daily calories now. 6 weeks is enough to conclude you're likely eating at maintenance even though you think its a deficit. If you weigh all solids, measure all liquids, account for all calories in as accurately as possible: then the issue is probably with the calories out.

All the devices use assumed formulas, but not all bodies work just like the average one should. Might be your metabolism is a little low compared to standard. Might be that your activity level setting in MFP is a little higher than reality. Might be that you are burning less on your runs than Garmin shows.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I realize men and women have different body things going on. But this might help. When I started this in February at Gold's Gym, the guy who signed me up helped me with a general diet and macro plan, along with a doable workout plan (I am 52, work full time and blah blah blah), and he told me "If you stick with this, you should lose weight starting out, then don't be surprised if you don't lose weight, and even maybe gain some weight, just stick with the plan and around week 5 or 6 you SHOULD really start seeing some results". Okay, so I lost some, then dammit, I gained some, but with a leap of faith I just kept going. Sure nuff in week six the hard pounds started coming off. So, maybe that helps you some. I am now in week 8 and my goal of 1 pound a week has actually become more consistent and is around 1.25-1.5 lost per week. Keep up the hard work. It will happen when it happens, one day at a time!!!!!
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    eh_2002 wrote: »
    I have also hit a plateau and I have been told by 2 different people that I need to up my calorie intake for a week or two to try to get things going again.

And if you ask them to explain why they will probably regurgitate some internet myth like "starvation mode ". Lol
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Your body is way to complex to figure everything out.

Best you can hope for is to make small changes, evaluate the results and try something new. I'm assuming you are now accustom to endurance running/biking. You don't need as much calories for the steady state cardio anymore.

First set yourself to 0.5 pounds per week, may attention to macros. Check out http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ I use that and set my mfp accordingly. A calorie is a calorie, but you are a human, so its going to be trial and error.

Also try eating more for a week or so. Go on maintenance, then back to cutting. Swap out your work outs for some HIT or strength training (stronglifts 5x5).

You could also toss out the scale and get a tape measure. ::flowerforyou::
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Your body is way to complex to figure everything out.

Best you can hope for is to make small changes, evaluate the results and try something new. I'm assuming you are now accustom to endurance running/biking. You don't need as much calories for the steady state cardio anymore.

First set yourself to 0.5 pounds per week, may attention to macros. Check out http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ I use that and set my mfp accordingly. A calorie is a calorie, but you are a human, so its going to be trial and error.

Also try eating more for a week or so. Go on maintenance, then back to cutting. Swap out your work outs for some HIT or strength training (stronglifts 5x5).

You could also toss out the scale and get a tape measure. ::flowerforyou::

I second the suggestion that you vary your exercise routine, and especially encourage you to check out strength training if you don’t do it already. Keep in mind, though, that you might retain more water after it because your muscles need to repair, so the scale may not move in the direction you want. I recently got back into strength work about 3 weeks ago and at first gained a couple of pounds. It’s only this week that they starting coming off on the scale. The tape measure can be your best friend :smile:

Good luck, and you’ll get there!
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I want to echo the responses here that say "make a small change and see what happens." Maybe it's a margin of error thing. Maybe it's a metabolism thing.

Change something and re-evaluate. Too much cardio? Not enough strength training? I don't know. Make a change, observe and record, and then re-evaluate again.