Hypothyroid/Supplements

damashta
damashta Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently diagnosed with low thyroid, high cholesterol and liver showed some damage as a result (fatty liver). On meds for thyroid and walking 30 minutes 5 days/week. Was wondering if anyone has had successes with supplement CLA and green tea for weight loss and if anyone experienced any effects due to low thyroid. I do take meds on empty stomach so not to interfere with absorption. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• Hi! I have been hypothyroid since I was born (21 now) and I have been getting treated for ten years now. First of all you should check your own blood work and see how your t3 and t4 levels are because if you are on synthetic medications it is most likely that you're only getting t4. Now if you're like me and your body has a problem transforming t3 to t4 then that's not good enough. I myself take natural thyroid which contains t4 and t3 and I feel much better than on synthroid. Another option is to add synthetic t3 !! Also get checked for gallbladder issues as I have had to get mine removed after false positive liver results from blood work. A bad gallbladder (inflammation) also causes your blood sugar to appear higher than it is. Mine was 105 with gallbladder inflammation and right after surgery it went down to 95 :D now, as far as weight loss what helped me was thermogenics, so anything to make you sweat. Green tea helps but I rather drink it than do supplements and from what I learned only a low cal diet and exercise helps. I've tried supplements etc and they do not help that much. Also, last thing, please check vitamin levels! Many overweight people have vitamin D and b12 deficiencies which have side effects similar to hypothyroidism !!! IM currently taking armour thyroid and b12 vitamins (doctors orders) and I've never felt better ! Hope I helped a little :/
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Diagnosed 10 years ago. I eat 2 Brazil nuts a day to boost my selenium count. I don't take anything else though - well except for my Tirosint