What made you choose the career path you chose?

Options
Hi, guys. I'm eighteen years old, and I'm starting college this winter. Problem is, I'm tied between a few different careers. Dietitian because I really want to help others maintain a healthy weight and have a good relationship with food. I'd never want any child to go through what I went through growing up. Pastry chef because I'd like to own a bakery someday. Baking is one of my passions, and I'm excellent at it. Lastly, an obstetrician. I believe that life is the most beautiful gift, and I would love to assist women during pregnancy. However, maybe none of these are what's right for me to base my whole life around.

My question for you is when did you realize the career you chose was the right one for you? Have any of you ever felt the way I'm feeling?

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You certainly are approaching this in a positive way. Pick something that makes you happy and improves the world in general.

I wanted to be a pilot since I was seven years old. Everything I did was focused on making that happen. I ended up choosing to join the Navy because it was free and we had no money. I flew my first flight in 1988 and spent the next 20 years smiling. Never regretted a second even though military life was difficult at times.

It can be scary to choose a path early. What if you don't like it? Can I make a living and support a family? All of that will take care of itself if you love your job.

Good luck with your journey. Full speed ahead.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Those all sounds really cool. Maybe the dietician and bakery chef can be a combo career. Maybe at some point you can talk to some hospitals and clinics that have nutrition programs for people who need to remap their diets? I wish when I was your age that I had a better defined idea of what I wanted to do for a career. There were a couple things that I wanted to do but unfortunately they didn't come to fruition so I kind of drifted for a while.

Lots of luck and good thoughts/energies to you.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    get a part time job at a bakery, and volunteer at a hospital - only way to know. remember that the stuff you'd actually be doing is fairly low-level grunt work. observe what bakers and doctors do, and how they handle it.

try some of these tests: http://www.onetonline.org/

and ask your college counselling department if they do the Strong Interest Inventory, which compares your interests (both in job-related tasks and hobbies) against those of people who say they're happy in their careers after some time, I think it's 3 or 5 years.

also think about other priorities in life: funding, how much of an appetite you have for school, your grades, etc.

all those options are great, they contribute to life in different ways. helping babies get born is important, indeed. but bakeries can do important things for a community, beyond making people extremely happy with cupcakes :) it's about you doing what taps into your strengths, and also meets economic needs/gets you work.

also remember that with the med option, part of your strengths will be built into you and you won't know for a long time whether it fits, so it's more of a guess. the premed courses (biol, etc) won't really help you learn what the actual work will be like. so the exposure via volunteering is important. interview people. try to get at least a sense of what it's like.

you could always get a BSc in Nutrition (or whatever makes sense in your country/region - check what's licensable) and decide later. i don't think it's much more that you'd have to do, course-wise, to apply to med school, in my country anyway, other than some specific prereqs. and culinary school doesn't take that long, and the dietician background would give you an edge.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I went to college twice.

The first time after high school, I earned a BA in Liberal Arts with 3 minors; Psychology, Sociology, Biology. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, I thought about it a lot and kept switching my majors. After college, I married and raised a family.

When my youngest was 3 or 4 I was at a block party, my neighbor was the director of adult admissions at a nearby university. She told me to come see her, so I did. On the way to her office, I walked by a pretty new building, it was the school of nursing. I decided at that moment to become a nurse. It took me almost 4 years, but I earned a Bachelor of Science in Nursing,16 years after my first college degree.

It's hard to know what you want to do when you're fresh out of high school. I can't believe the anxiety I went through over what to do with my life during my first college experience vs just thinking hmm, ok, I'll be a nurse; and that being the perfect fit for me.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I chose a different path, started college as an engineering major but it wasn't for me.
    5 years in group travel, then applied for and got hired at a auto body/painting shop
    6 months later walked into a Mustang Shop and told the owner I was his new employee. He actually hired me.
    7 years later I bought the business from him and ran it for about 8 years. Sold the business at age of 43 and took a year off.
    9 years ago on a whim I applied to a big box store. They hired me two days later for in-home sales of roofing.
    Still doing that and making as much or more than when I owned the business, and MUCH fewer responsibilites.

I have yet to finish college, and at this point I don't see much point in doing so. House is paid off. Don't want for much.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This'll sound strange, don't be in a huge hurry to decide. Your VERY young, and part of the importance of college is having the chance to see what's actually out there. That's not a knock on your enthusiasm....quite the opposite. You might get to college, attend a few of the intro classes and find someting completely difference which really captures your imagination. Personally, I had NO idea what I wanted to do when I went in, beyond simply attending for attending's sake. I settled on a major (history) simply to continue onward, figuring it was something I found vaguely interesting. Wound up with a degree which (more or less) meant nothing in the grand scheme of life, as the job market was terrible when I graduated (sound familiar?). BUT, it put me on the course on which I needed to be....and nearly 20 years later I have a great career in a field I'd never have dreamed would be for me, and I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything (well, unless of course I won the lottery....lol!). My point is that you should take the time to experience your first year of college, knock out the pre-requisite courses, and get a feel for what's out there. Hope this helps a bit.... :happy:
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I suppose I'll just have to be patient and wait to see what's in store for my future. :smile:
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you this from my own life's experience... Take a year off. College will always be there, you youth won't. Don't take the "comfortable" path through school. If you're good at something but aren't passionate about it, don't force yourself into it... On the other hand, if you're passionate about something, but it's not your strength, take it head on, force yourself out of your comfort zone and give it your best. The only failure in life is failing to take that first step.

As far as trying to figure out a career... Seriously look into the careers you're interested in, are they growing, do they have a future? Contact some people that work in the industry, see if you can job shadow to see what the job and industry is really like. Network, find a mentor...
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    I'm telling you this from my own life's experience... Take a year off. College will always be there, you youth won't. Don't take the "comfortable" path through school. If you're good at something but aren't passionate about it, don't force yourself into it... On the other hand, if you're passionate about something, but it's not your strength, take it head on, force yourself out of your comfort zone and give it your best. The only failure in life is failing to take that first step.

As far as trying to figure out a career... Seriously look into the careers you're interested in, are they growing, do they have a future? Contact some people that work in the industry, see if you can job shadow to see what the job and industry is really like. Network, find a mentor...

I've already taken a year off. I'm still unsure though. Thank you for the advice.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant - I love numbers and money (especially keeping it- i.e. money- all to myself, LOL). Seriously, if it relates to you, you enjoy the work, and have the skillset and knowledge to do the work, you will enjoy your career ~ whatever that is. Don't be afraid to intern, either. Think logistics, too. For instance, the part of my job that I hate? being on my computer ALL day long. I have to take six 15 minute breaks each day to get up and do something active that doesn't involve me walking to the coffeemaker. I hate sitting around but for now, I must. Till something is invented that allows me to do everything while being mobile. Ipad doesn't count. Still too many papers. If you were me and knew that you couldn't sit all day, then you would have a hard time in my job. Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I could of went many different directions. Ultimately my career chose me. Its what I always did growing up, and makes me tick!
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have always loved the beauty industry, but it wasn't until I had gone through two programs ( cosmetology and esthestics) that I realized that my true passion was to educate and inspire others..now, I am a cosmetology/esthestics instructor specializing in skincare and spa services
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    My first year of college, I was majoring in journalism. I figured I like to write, I guess I can do that for a living. But I wasn't really into it. But I didn't know what else to do with my life, so I stuck with it.
    During my first year of college, I also saw live theatre for the first time. And I instantly became obsessed.
    It took another year or two before I realized that journalism wasn't what I wanted to do at all. Because I like to write, but I like it as a hobby. I started taking theatre classes. I'd also been sewing for quite a few years, and when I had a project in my Intro the Theatre class to design costumes for my very own (imaginary) production of Oedipus Rex, I realized that I could combine my two favourite things in the world (sewing and theatre) and actually DO something with it. (For the project, I was only supposed to draw my designs. I ended up making miniature versions of the costumes and presenting them on dolls. I got an A+)
    So I spent a couple years getting myself familiar with theatre and costuming.
    And I just got accepted to a school in New York City to study costume design. And I've been around the theatre and around costume shops enough to know that this really is what I actually want to do this time. It's not just because it's something that I CAN do. I really, really want to do it.

So... it was kind of a long process, finally figuring out what I wanted to do. Most of the people I graduated high school with have already graduated college and I'm still there, just about to enter a brand new program. But I'm okay with that because I actually found what I'm passionate about and that's incredibly exciting to me.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I've already taken a year off. I'm still unsure though. Thank you for the advice.

You don't sound that confused, actually. You've got some pretty defined interests. It's just a question of thinking through your options.

I think the dietetics degree is a safe bet for now, because it's a good grounding for either of the other options, and gives you reasonably good job prospects in its own right. It's a good, safe middle option that doesn't close anything off.

Once you have it, no one can take it away from you. As a young person, and a first-time student, you currently have funding options that may not be available to you later on. Or, you would have to work much harder to pay for it, and to fit it into your life, which will have changed, along with your priorities. It's always better to do formal school while you're young, I disagree that it's 'always there for you'. It is, but at a cost.

If you want to go to med school afterwards, I'm pretty sure the dietetics degree would be a good base.

If you wanted to open a bakery, you could do it the year you graduate, or ten or even 20 years after that. There's no rush on that, and, some years of saved money would help you get it started, later on. That said, like I mentioned earlier, you could get a weekend job baking, while you do your other schooling. You don't need to go to school to be a baker, afaik - it's experience that counts, and you can get that informally.
  • captain_reckless
    Options
    When I was in school all I wanted to be was a mechanic it was the be all and end all of what I wanted as a carrier

I stuck at that until I was 29 but at around 24 I new I wanted to do somthing else, so I did a managment degree, when i was 29 I became a service manager, that didnt work for me, I did about 12 months in sales, like wise it didnt work, I got offered a job in product managment and loved it, I worked my way to the top of that company, and when the GFC hit and the US owner decided to shut my branch, I literelly fell in to this role wich is a little of sales and a little product managment and I quite like it

that said if I had my time over I would be a paramedic, kind of like a feild service mechanic but you leave the engine running.

I really enjoy being a fire fighter also but I dont think it would suit me as my primary carrier, as the whole wait for a job thing would drive me insane unless it was a busy station
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I was pushed into going to college for Music Education ("if you don't major in Music Ed, and don't go to x college, we won't help you pay for it"). Spent 3 miserable years doing that until I added an Intercultural Studies major to it. Loved that, but was rushed as I had to finish the entire major in 3 semesters (spent 5 years in undergrad - it was kinda 4 semesters, but one was spent studying abroad specifically to get my German minor). Now I have 2 useless Bachelor's degrees (I didn't finish the Music Ed degree, but did get a BA in trombone and piano... and not complaining that they're useless, just stating that they are!), and have been bouncing around between different jobs, and the world (not complaining about that either!!!), for 7 years now.

What I really want to do now is be an ESL teacher, so I'm getting my Master's in Education with a focus in English Language Learners. The reason I love this career path is that I've always wanted to teach, and I have a huge travel addiction, so this degree will let me do both :) Oh, and I've also wanted to do something in archaeology since I was like 5, so hopefully I can do something with that someday, but it's on the back burner for now.

A lot of finding what's right for you is by dabbling in things. Stick your toe in everything. If you think something is interesting, learn about it. 13 years ago, I never ever ever would have guessed I would be taking an ESL teaching job in Moscow. I though I'd be the director of a huge music program with an awesome marching band.

As a side note, there's this cool website called Coursera where you can take free courses (for no credit, of course) in lots of different things if you're interested in that!
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    All your choices sound wonderful :-)
    Like others have said previously, take a few classes in different things and see what works for you. I started off doing a law degree and ended up completing in anthropology!
    At 37 I still don't really know what I want to do but dietitian/nutrition is a very strong interest field for me. Currently work in horticulture which I love but ended up there completely by accident. Right now I'm considering sitting for my Mine Dump Truck license as the money they pay drivers in this part of the world is more than I would earn in any professional 'career' role. Certainly not a job option I would have considered at 18 but it will get me to my financial goals faster than anything else.
    Take your time, volunteer and see what feels right.
    Whatever you choose it doesn't have to be forever, we always have the ability to start new and remake ourselves. I've taken a lot of courses over the years out of interest to see if they could be a career option. At least I've learned I hate being stuck in an office all day :-)
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i didn't... it kind of just happened!
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    maybe do some work experience in the areas you have listed? see if any of them really appeal to you. Don't rush into training until you are sure.

I did a degree straight out of school because it was expected of me, a BA. A couple of years later I ended up going back to school to do my nursing degree after having spent alot of time in the hospital environment with a sick family member. Now I work within my nursing speciality, co-ordinating peoples care in the community across our region. I do love my job but it is not something I was even considering when I was 18.