Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with the whole egg?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I get a weird reaction to whole eggs that I don't get to egg whites so egg whites, with added cheese for me and whole eggs only rarely when I just gotta have egg and toast soldiers

*whole egg fascists* :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I'd rather just eat egg yolks. Wish they sold those in a carton.

Yeah! What's up with that, though? What do they do with the yolks when they sell only the whites?

Custard production
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in just eating the white, a bit overkill if you ask me.
    I'm still in awe they sell egg whites only in America!! What are they packaged in??, Fake eggs or something....
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I don't think the whites taste like anything on their own. I just eat the whole egg. I mean it's only about 70 calories for one large egg, including the yolk. I can work that in easily, the tradeoff being the delicious taste of egg yolks. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I can't do whites on their own. Yolks are where all the flavor is at.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I'm still in awe they sell egg whites only in America!! What are they packaged in??, Fake eggs or something....

Cartons (waxed paperboard boxes with a spout, similar to cartons for milk and cream).
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Is it ever worth discarding the yolk? It's got half the protein. Even on a cut I'd think whole eggs are preferred…

Only if you're making a meringue. Otherwise it's blasphemous.

Rigger

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

Cartons (waxed paperboard boxes with a spout, similar to cartons for milk and cream).

Right, this. There's nothing spooky about them, they are just literally mechanically separated egg whites.

• jazzyjez
    jazzyjez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like my egg white from the carton blended with coffee and cocoa or pumpkin for a protein shake snack. :) I don't like yolks for some reason but I like the whole egg scrambled. One of my sons like just the soft yolk - on a piece of toast or in a tortilla. I usually boil the egg for a few minutes. Anyone have ideas of how to get the yolk cooked soft and easy to separate? My other 2 sons like their eggs different ways too, so I frequently make eggs 4 ways a couple mornings a week. For Ethan I broil whole egg with some cheese on top. For Matthew over easy or with the hole in the bread.... Those new containers that you cook the egg in the microwave and you don't have to even scramble it but it comes out scrambled look pretty cool! Anyway, in our house the dog gets any part of the egg that isn't eaten!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Ew, egg whites just reminds me of snot. I cannot eat and egg unless it's scrambled or boiled. :s

I'll never be able to look at an egg quite right again.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't eat the egg yolk, it's the best bit. I can't stand the texture of egg white and only eat them in softly scrambled (whole) eggs or a tortilla or something (and cake of course). I often eat just the yolks on toast if I have some left over from making a pavlova or something. Yum. Pavolva.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    jazzyjez wrote: »
    I like my egg white from the carton blended with coffee and cocoa or pumpkin for a protein shake snack. :) I don't like yolks for some reason but I like the whole egg scrambled. One of my sons like just the soft yolk - on a piece of toast or in a tortilla. I usually boil the egg for a few minutes. Anyone have ideas of how to get the yolk cooked soft and easy to separate? My other 2 sons like their eggs different ways too, so I frequently make eggs 4 ways a couple mornings a week. For Ethan I broil whole egg with some cheese on top. For Matthew over easy or with the hole in the bread.... Those new containers that you cook the egg in the microwave and you don't have to even scramble it but it comes out scrambled look pretty cool! Anyway, in our house the dog gets any part of the egg that isn't eaten!

Bloody hell! Really? You cook differently for all your kids? I know it's just eggs but is that true of all meals?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    OK, showing my ignorance here (and I am so glad for this thread!) but I was under the impression that the egg white had all the protein in and the yolk had all the fat in so I've been throwing out the yolks and just eating egg whites! God damnit....just goes to show you can't believe everything people tell you :p
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    jazzyjez wrote: »
    I like my egg white from the carton blended with coffee and cocoa or pumpkin for a protein shake snack. :) [...]

So that's something - the carton of egg whites is pasteurized right? It would be an alternative to whey supplement in a shake with a much frothier texture, I imagine. I'm not sure the cost breakdown would compare favorably though.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    OK, showing my ignorance here (and I am so glad for this thread!) but I was under the impression that the egg white had all the protein in and the yolk had all the fat in so I've been throwing out the yolks and just eating egg whites! God damnit....just goes to show you can't believe everything people tell you :p

Yeah, so for a while I thought that most of the protein was in the white too. Like, almost all of it. It was only when I was plugging in my hard boiled egg snack into MFP that I thought to look and see what the impact would be if I discarded the yolks. Fewer calories, much less protein. Not worth it.

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't like the yolks, so it was never any big deal to get rid of them. I buy the box of egg whites from Costco, so no waste there.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one whole egg and 9 egg whites every day. I can't eat 10 whole eggs because that would be half of my daily fat allowance before breakfast is even over.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I buy one carton of real eggs and a carton of whites. I add extra whites to a real egg when making an omelet. It gives hubby the illusion he is eating healthy. As soon as I found out all the vitamins were in the yolk, I embraced all the egg.

This is what I do. I actually prefer the texture of one whole egg + one egg white, in terms of scrambled eggs -- whole eggs just feel a bit thick to me. But I'm a picky textural eater, lol.

That said, sometimes there's nothing I want more than an egg white and mozzarella cheese on toast. It's one of my favorite microwave breakfasts. <3
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love deviled eggs . . . yum!