Fast food

Options

Replies

• belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I got fat on my own home cooking, so who's to say that fast food is the culprit? Meh...
  • jj2step
    jj2step Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Actually fast food IS inherently unhealthy.While one can lose weight while eating it, don't believe the marketing masters who want you to believe their product is good for your health. If it isn't full of fat, its full of salt, or sugar, or processed to the point of having very little nutrient value and lots of "fillers". I can drink a sugar free soft drink and cut calories, but what am I putting in my body? And what nutrient rich food do I no longer have room for because it satiated me for the time being? Not that one should deprive oneself of the joys of a piece of chocolate or some cake, or even a Big Mac if you want one, but know what you are eating so that it is an informed choice.

yep the salt in some fast food is terrible and the sugar and the low cal coke and other stuff its full of crap and not in any way good for you xx
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I try to avoid fast food like the plague for NO OTHER reason than I have Little if No self control. If I bring cookies into my house..they get eaten. If I pull through a drive through- theres a thousand calories. I just ask myself is it worth it? and for me the answer is no. If Im on the run and I need something quick, it takes about the same amount of time to run inside a grocery store and grab a yogurt and banana (for example). I did recently eat subway, I typically avoid overly processed bread products but I loaded up my 6 inch with all the veggies it could hold, so I felt good about it. Im finding that this isnt about rigidity. Im not going to eat perfectly all the time. Nor do I want to. I CAN have a cookie, or even a cheeseburger now and again. BUT, its a treat, a rarity, and an exception now. It used to be a lifestyle that gained me over 100 lbs that now I have to FIGHT to shed, so the question before I eat it is: IS IT WORTH IT? :) please add me for support and to help me too!
  • cilu90
    cilu90 Posts: 31
    Options
    Actually fast food IS inherently unhealthy.While one can lose weight while eating it, don't believe the marketing masters who want you to believe their product is good for your health. If it isn't full of fat, its full of salt, or sugar, or processed to the point of having very little nutrient value and lots of "fillers". I can drink a sugar free soft drink and cut calories, but what am I putting in my body? And what nutrient rich food do I no longer have room for because it satiated me for the time being? Not that one should deprive oneself of the joys of a piece of chocolate or some cake, or even a Big Mac if you want one, but know what you are eating so that it is an informed choice.

I truly feel sorry for you if you believe fat, salt, and sugar are bad for you.

Please don't feel sorry for me. I love food. Especially chocolate! If you re-read my post, I was replying to someone who said it was not inherently UNHEALTHY. Fat, salt, and sugar are NECCESSARY parts of a healthy diet. However, most fast food has an OVERABUNDANCE of one or more of these along with a processing technique and/or additives that make them a less healthy choice. And please re-read the last sentence. I eat fast food once in awhile. I try to pick a "healthier" choice. But I also am aware of what is in that product so that it is an informed choice. I also understand that there is a difference between "HEALTHY" food (beneficial to your body) and food that is simply low in calories, sugar-free, fat free, etc and I think its okay to let people know that on a forum in which a person was looking for others who wanted to eat cleanly.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I don't generally eat fast food. I've been to McDonald's maybe 10 times in my entire life, and I'm 35. We get a Dominos maybe twice a year. Most things we want we make ourselves. I'm not perfect, I like a bit of chocolate, and a biscuit with my coffee now and again, and I have a weakness for skinny vanilla lattes!
  • shardidecker
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new to the site... so maybe I should wait to post, but I had to say something here because I agree with both sides and I believe there is definately a grey area in this discussion. First I should say that I'm the overnight manager of my local McDonalds and sometimes going an eight or nine hour shift without something to eat is impossible and a lot more unhealthy then choosing one of the better options. That being said, isn't that the point of this website... to start learning more about your body and what you put in it. How you react to certain foods. Everyone knows that dark greens are better than iceberg lettece, that the hamburger meat is not 90% lean, and plain greek yogurt has less sugar in it than a parfait. But making healthier choices is a process that comes to everyone in their own time. I find that when I eat kidney beans instead of yogurt as a protein it frees up more space for the Golden Delicious apple I really wanted before bed. Understanding all of this takes time and frankly more effort than most people have time for. I guess my point is if you adapt into a refined carbohydrate free lifestyle, choosing fructose and lactose as your sugar supply, limiting any kind of flour, and cutting wheat out, your body will heal and you will see amazing changes. Unfortunately, that means cooking your meals once a week, freezing, and brown bagging it. Unless you're a chef and you cook fresh everyday for a living... who has the time to cook 3-6 meals a day? Don't starve yourself if fast food is your option, but you'll be amazed at how your body responds when you start to make different choices. Either way I'm proud to be in good company and Good luck to you all.
  • cilu90
    Options
    I try to avoid fast food like the plague for NO OTHER reason than I have Little if No self control. If I bring cookies into my house..they get eaten. If I pull through a drive through- theres a thousand calories. I just ask myself is it worth it? and for me the answer is no. If Im on the run and I need something quick, it takes about the same amount of time to run inside a grocery store and grab a yogurt and banana (for example). I did recently eat subway, I typically avoid overly processed bread products but I loaded up my 6 inch with all the veggies it could hold, so I felt good about it. Im finding that this isnt about rigidity. Im not going to eat perfectly all the time. Nor do I want to. I CAN have a cookie, or even a cheeseburger now and again. BUT, its a treat, a rarity, and an exception now. It used to be a lifestyle that gained me over 100 lbs that now I have to FIGHT to shed, so the question before I eat it is: IS IT WORTH IT? :) please add me for support and to help me too!

Totally agree.
  • cilu90
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new to the site... so maybe I should wait to post, but I had to say something here because I agree with both sides and I believe there is definately a grey area in this discussion. First I should say that I'm the overnight manager of my local McDonalds and sometimes going an eight or nine hour shift without something to eat is impossible and a lot more unhealthy then choosing one of the better options. That being said, isn't that the point of this website... to start learning more about your body and what you put in it. How you react to certain foods. Everyone knows that dark greens are better than iceberg lettece, that the hamburger meat is not 90% lean, and plain greek yogurt has less sugar in it than a parfait. But making healthier choices is a process that comes to everyone in their own time. I find that when I eat kidney beans instead of yogurt as a protein it frees up more space for the Golden Delicious apple I really wanted before bed. Understanding all of this takes time and frankly more effort than most people have time for. I guess my point is if you adapt into a refined carbohydrate free lifestyle, choosing fructose and lactose as your sugar supply, limiting any kind of flour, and cutting wheat out, your body will heal and you will see amazing changes. Unfortunately, that means cooking your meals once a week, freezing, and brown bagging it. Unless you're a chef and you cook fresh everyday for a living... who has the time to cook 3-6 meals a day? Don't starve yourself if fast food is your option, but you'll be amazed at how your body responds when you start to make different choices. Either way I'm proud to be in good company and Good luck to you all.

Excellent post and well said! Good luck to you!
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I work at an upscale fast food place ( Culver's ) and we have several things on the menu that I eat . Most of our soups are low in calories and not bad on sodium. I also eat one of our several salads with grilled chicken and low fat dressings. Our BBQ pork sandwich is also a good choice. If you ask for their nutritional menu and learn the place you could pick other things then fries, burger and shake. If you want a burger get it in a lettuce wrap.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't assume that everything logged in the food diaries actually comes from the place listed. Like this morning I had some sort of homemade rice/bean/chicken concoction and I'm pretty sure it's logged from a restaurant just because that was the mfp option that looked closest. I go to a lot of local places that don't have listed menus so I just pick something close.
    Fat, salt, and sugar are NECCESSARY parts of a healthy diet.
    Fat and salt are...sugar I would say is absolutely not necessary if you are talking white sugar/cane whatever. Glucose is necessary but you can get it from plenty of foods that aren't sweet.

Tasty as sugary things are, they're in a different category than fat or salt.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food and other "dirty" options. I dont love it but its convenient. I try to make good choices but what ever I eat, I make sure it fits in my cals for the day. And yes, I have consistently lost 1 lb a week since I started eating this way and have taken my body fat from 42% to 32% in 3 months.

I have to live in this world and do all the things that I do in it until the day I die. I dont want to live it with always having to obsess about what foods I eat. I want to be able to enjoy a meal with a friend and if that means we eat out either fast food or a not so healthy restaurant, then so be it. I would rather learn now how to make healthy choices than: lose the weight by never eating out, losing my friends because I never want to go anywhere where food is involved, or gain it all back because I did not learn anything while losing the weight.

So if this means, we cant be friends, I am ok with that. Besides if you search food diaries and make judgments about people, you are far to judgmental to be my friend anyway.
  • shardidecker
    Options
    Exactly, I made a barley soup this week and had no idea if I should list the ingredients seperately?
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Damn I just ate fast food. Whoops there goes my abs I guess?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Not QFT

QFBS
    Not sure what QFT or QFBS means? A little help with the lingo since Im a little older?

QFT = quoted for truth, as in I agree with this post
    QFBS = quoted for bulls**t
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do happen to think the crazy amount of salt and sugar in fast food is in fact bad for you. I'm not saying salt and sugar are bad for you in moderation - in fact, your body needs salt to function,) but when one sandwich has almost your entire recommended salt intake common sense dictates that's no good!

Have the majority of you who are defending fast food places even looked at the numbers?

Here's an example...My husband got a medium club on whole wheat bread at Firehouse subs the other day....

Calories Fat Chol Sodium Carbs Sugars Protein
    770 42 90 2000 65 19 406

This isn't even counting the mayo and cheese....
    (source: http://www.firehousesubs.com/App_Themes/FirehouseSubs/Files/FHS_Nutritionals.pdf)

The US sodium RDA of less than 2,400 mg a day....Let's see what the eating too much sodium can cause:

High blood pressure
    Hypertension
    Stroke
    Heart attack
    Osteoporosis
    Asthma
    Stomach cancer

(a few sources, there are many on the net. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284 and http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/news/high_salt_consumption_can_cause_a_range_of_health_problems.htm )

And I'm not going to get into what excess sugar intake can cause, because I'm in no mood to argue about how too much sugar is bad
    no which way you paint the picture (note, the key words here are "too much.") Defend sugar all you want, I won't be persuaded to believe that it's good for you, or even necessary (and no, I'm not talking about naturally occurring sugars in fruits and veggies. I am talking about all the added sugar to random foods...)

That said, to be fair some of McDonald's salad aren't bad...Well just about the only one with an acceptable amount of sodium is the side salad ( however, that's w.o dressing) and the parfait doesn't look entirely bad for you but that's just about it.

It seems they've improved by leaps and bounds in that aspect though.
  • shardidecker
    Options
    Damn I just ate fast food. Whoops there goes my abs I guess?

How did you get those abs? I've been thinking about doing insanity?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

yep the salt in some fast food is terrible and the sugar and the low cal coke and other stuff its full of crap and not in any way good for you xx

Anything to back that up or did you hear it on Fox news?
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There are some doubts about whether it is necessary for most people who are not salt sensitive to restrict their salt intake so much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/health/panel-finds-no-benefit-in-sharply-restricting-sodium.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"In a report that undercuts years of public health warnings, a prestigious group convened by the government says there is no good reason based on health outcomes for many Americans to drive their sodium consumption down to the very low levels recommended in national dietary guidelines. "

Not that I don't try to limit processed food, but that's for a variety of reasons.
  • JessCowles
    JessCowles Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't have room in my diet to eat fast food unless I want to go over in my calories. I did that one last week and I felt really sluggish after doing so. Sometimes though, you do have to indulge in the foods that are not so good otherwise you're not going to want to continue or give up early on the eating plan you have. Thats how I look at it.
  • jj2step
    jj2step Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I truly feel sorry for you if you believe fat, salt, and sugar are bad for you.
    only if you have too much ...................................