Plateau help

Options
Sooo in all seriousness I need help/advice. I lost 10 lb relatively fast by simply cutting back on eating and running/walking 2 miles a day but now I can't seem to loose more than that. I need help

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Can you give us more information?

Age/height/weight/goal?
    How long have you been stuck at your weight?
    Can you open your diary?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    olivere02 wrote: »
    Sooo in all seriousness I need help/advice. I lost 10 lb relatively fast by simply cutting back on eating and running/walking 2 miles a day but now I can't seem to loose more than that. I need help

What kind of time frame?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Open your diary , give stats
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Open your diary , give stats
    yep
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yep, we need more info like your calorie and macro goals. Also, I would recommend that you do some forms of exercise that are more intense like weight lifting or HIIT sprints. They are far more effective at promoting weight loss. Here, check out this podcast. It's got great information. You want episode 3 on cardio: http://www.rxmuscle.com/2013-01-11-01-57-36/muscle-college.html
  • olivere02
    olivere02 Posts: 11
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Age/height/weight/goal?
    Can you open your diary?
    Height: 5"5
    Weight:170
    Stuck for almost a week now
    I try to only eat about 1000 calories a day

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Age/height/weight/goal?
    Can you open your diary?

Why is your goal so low?

And when you say you "try," does that mean you are doing it or do you mean you vary?

A week is no big deal for a stall. If you open your diary, you may get some useful help. Just so you know, 1,000 is very, very low and you are likely depriving yourself of nutrients that you need.
  • olivere02
    Options

Age/height/weight/goal?
    Can you open your diary?

Why is your goal so low?

And when you say you "try," does that mean you are doing it or do you mean you vary?

A week is no big deal for a stall. If you open your diary, you may get some useful help. Just so you know, 1,000 is very, very low and you are likely depriving yourself of nutrients that you need.
    I mean "try" as in sometimes I eat less than that
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Here are the 11 most likely reasons you are not loosing fat.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?
    do you log everything you eat into MFP?
  • olivere02
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Here are the 11 most likely reasons you are not loosing fat.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Hahahaha, preach. I guess I need to consume less calories
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Age/height/weight/goal?
    Can you open your diary?

A week is not a plateau, it's normal weight fluctuations.

Why 1000? You should be eating to your calorie goal, which does not mean fewer calories (unless your logging is inaccurate, which is also possible).
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

This is not stuck. Not even close.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Age/height/weight/goal?
    Can you open your diary?

How long ago did you start losing?

Chances are really good that some of your initial loss was excess water weight. Your body realizes that it lost too much and starts to retain what it needs which shows up in a stall or even a gain for a week or so. The cycle of lose too much-regain some-regulated can take about 4-5 weeks.

Also. 1000 calories is too low. You need to fuel your body or you will lose muscle mass, which is not good.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You will not lose every week. It just won't happen, even if you are perfect in your logging & exercise. Some weeks you will even gain. The body, unfortunately, is not perfect. Its too easily influenced by hormones, stress, sodium, sleep, routine, etc. - and the result is water weight.

Don't feel like you should be starving yourself. The typical cycle is starve for a while, don't see results fast enough, figure 'what the h*ll' and then eat everything in site until you get the next 'I'm going to lose weight' inspiration.

Instead eat at a reasonable deficit, something you can do for a while. This is not going to be something you 'finish' right away. Trust the science, that over time this is the way to lose weight & be healthier. Compare your weight now to what you weighed 30 days ago to get a better look at your trend.

1400-1600 is my suggestion based on your stats. Think of calories as a budget. Fuel your body. Eat protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains. And you'll probably have enough calories for occasional treats. Be accurate & honest. Once or twice a month, have a day where you eat around 2000 if you want to. Kind of a taste of 'regular' life. Make efforts to move and be active. Do things you enjoy. Enjoy being outside.

For what its worth: I'm 5'5.5", started at 178.5 and in 9.5 months went to 127ish. I've been maintaining between 123-128 for almost 6 months now. Ate 1400-1600 for about 6 months, then 1600-1800. Now generally 1800ish. And I'm older - turned 40 last year. Youth is on your side. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Do you use a food scale?

re quoting this for an answer...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You will not lose every week. It just won't happen, even if you are perfect in your logging & exercise. Some weeks you will even gain. The body, unfortunately, is not perfect. Its too easily influenced by hormones, stress, sodium, sleep, routine, etc. - and the result is water weight.

Don't feel like you should be starving yourself. The typical cycle is starve for a while, don't see results fast enough, figure 'what the h*ll' and then eat everything in site until you get the next 'I'm going to lose weight' inspiration.

Instead eat at a reasonable deficit, something you can do for a while. This is not going to be something you 'finish' right away. Trust the science, that over time this is the way to lose weight & be healthier. Compare your weight now to what you weighed 30 days ago to get a better look at your trend.

1400-1600 is my suggestion based on your stats. Think of calories as a budget. Fuel your body. Eat protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains. And you'll probably have enough calories for occasional treats. Be accurate & honest. Once or twice a month, have a day where you eat around 2000 if you want to. Kind of a taste of 'regular' life. Make efforts to move and be active. Do things you enjoy. Enjoy being outside.

For what its worth: I'm 5'5.5", started at 178.5 and in 9.5 months went to 127ish. I've been maintaining between 123-128 for almost 6 months now. Ate 1400-1600 for about 6 months, then 1600-1800. Now generally 1800ish. And I'm older - turned 40 last year. Youth is on your side. :)

if she is eating a thousand now, how is eating1400 to 1600 going to solve the problem???

I think we need to address inaccurate logging first...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    She has stalled for a week. In reality she hasn't stalled, just thinks she has, and TOM or sodium or weighin consistency is hiding the results. Which will be clear in a week or two or three.

If she is aiming for 1000 calories or less, then that's a problem waiting to happen. (The cycle I described is the typical result of cutting calories too low. Though if one manages to do it long term, other negative side effects are common though I don't think you're trying to say one should eat 1000/day.) Eating 1000 is not useful for healthy, long term weight loss when you need to lose 30-40-50 pounds. Eating 1400-1600, given her stats, is.

if she is eating a thousand now, how is eating1400 to 1600 going to solve the problem???

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    She has stalled for a week. In reality she hasn't stalled, just thinks she has, and TOM or sodium or weighin consistency is hiding the results. Which will be clear in a week or two or three.

If she is aiming for 1000 calories or less, then that's a problem waiting to happen. (The cycle I described is the typical result of cutting calories too low. Though if one manages to do it long term, other negative side effects are common though I don't think you're trying to say one should eat 1000/day.) Eating 1000 is not useful for healthy, long term weight loss when you need to lose 30-40-50 pounds. Eating 1400-1600, given her stats, is.

I think you missed ndj's point. Not detailing whether you weigh food or log consistently is the first thing to address. If OP's 1000 calories is actually 1700, telling her to eat 1400-1600 isn't solving anything. Yes, 1000 calories isn't healthy or advisable, and ndj isn't saying it is. A weight loss stall of only a week is nothing, as weight loss isn't linear. But determining whether there are logging inaccuracies is more important than telling OP to eat a certain caloric goal.
  • olivere02
    Options
    This actually quite humorous... But yes I set it so low because I realize that my logging is inaccurate. I'm merely a beginner and don't
    Do you use a food scale?

But I'm trying my best.