Yogurt

Options
I'm looking for a low sugar yogurt. I find most yogurts
Have way too much sugar. It also can not be Greek.
I have had a reaction to Greek yogurt and cannot eat it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mrbadbern
    Mrbadbern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make your own; it's easy.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Isn't Greek yoghurt just normal yoghurt that's be strained twice making it thicker? So there shouldn't be anything in there that would cause a reaction.

I tend to buy plain yoghurt which doesn't have any added sugar, but as MrBadbern says - try making your own.
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    plain yogurt with a little maple syrup, or sugar-free jam.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Plain is the way to go for you... and add your own toppings or fruit...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Plain is going to be your best bet. The sugars in it come from lactose, so they aren't added in like with flavored ones.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    plain as others have said, then sweeten with your own additions like fruit or whatever. also, the low fat ones tend to be higher in sugar as they often add sugar to improve the flavour lost through reducing the fat. So go for full fat varieties, which not only taste better but will help you feel more sated too.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yoplait makes a low sugar yogurt, 5-6 grams of sugar compared to as much as 35 for some greek yogurts...
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Dairy has sugar naturally. (Around 12g a serving I think?) Any yoghurt with less is probably not fully dairy, meaning they're using something else as filler. (Sort of like how a lot of grocery store ice creams are not ice cream.) Any yoghurt with no more, or not much more, will be either plain, or using artificial sweeteners. (Do not know if you eat artificial sweeteners.)

And added fruit, whether you add it yourself or it is added by a company, will add sugar. Adding jam -- yourself, or a company -- will add sugar. Maple syrup or honey, also sugar. You could control the amount added if you do it yourself, but it may not amount to less than certain store bought options.

And I agree that greek yoghurt shouldn't be an allergen if regular yoghurt isn't. It's just yoghurt that has been strained an extra time. You probably reacted to something else in the greek yoghurt that you tried, or to something else you were exposed to that day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a low sugar yogurt. I find most yogurts
    Have way too much sugar. It also can not be Greek.
    I have had a reaction to Greek yogurt and cannot eat it.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can buy a yogurt maker for around $30. It is very easy to make your own, sugar-free, and it tastes better than store bought anyway. Add your own fruit or flavorings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As stated above, all real yogurt has sugar (including that you make yourself), since dairy just does (lactose). If you don't want added sugar or sugar from fruit, get it plain. All the plain yogurts I've bought (my preference is Fage greek, but I buy a non greek kind on occasion, Traderspoint) are just dairy based and have nothing added.

You can get non-dairy-based yogurt, I suppose, although at that point I personally would just eat something else.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Isn't Greek yoghurt just normal yoghurt that's be strained twice making it thicker? So there shouldn't be anything in there that would cause a reaction.

True Greek yogurt is made by draining some whey out of regular yogurt. Many manufacturers use a short cut and add thickeners to regular yogurt so it may be some of those additives you reacted to. Look for Greek yogurts that do not contain things like guar gum, locust bean, etc.

I save money by making Greek yogurt from cheap supermarket yogurt that is without additives. Here's the instructions in my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/HeidiCooksSupper/view/bargain-greek-yogurt-hack-694810