Can't eat calories!!!!

Options

Replies

• robindgibson
    robindgibson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well I have truthfully been battling this injury for 3 years! I tore my ACHILLIES when I was 27 and I'm 30 now so for 3 years now I say 90% of the 3 years I have now been in bed. Total of 7 tears over the 3 years now and last year was 3 big tears. Yes maybe you are right about the eating amount when I was active and fit consuming those calories becaus after a workout I was hungry. Then for a while eating the same becaue used to it. However now anyways how I feel is my body is just slower. Over these bed days I just slept sleeping at least 14 hours PER day. Nothing to do I felt and have to keep elevated. . . Now that I'm moving around more and can actually finally:) walk again when going from just one room to the next I take a break but I getting better. I feel my body just shut down so no, I am just not hungry! I drink protein shakes 2-3x a day and eat a salad 1x or 2x or eat oatmeal full of flax chia seed yogurt fruit. But I'm still under calories.
  • robindgibson
    Options
    YES!!!! Exactly!!!! So the one thing I did eat while in bed were bean burritos!!!if I added that back in, I won't loose weight now??? But then obviously adding back in the food I was eating my bean burritos then I will reach my calorie goal but then the bean burritos will keep the weight on.
    So from what I've read, I'm guessing the following happened:
    Your injury caused you long term bed rest. This effectively lowered the calories that you needed to maintain whatever weight you were. You continued to eat like the same, but this caused you to gain since bed rest lowered your maintenance level to a point that was lower than you were used to.

So the question you need to ask yourself is what changes did you make to your eating habits when you decided to lose weight? Did you switch to low fat/diet stuff? If so, why not add some of the items you used to eat back in.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why would bean burritos keep weight on if you eat at a calorie deficit? Unless of course they take you over what you need to maintain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You don't need to eat more, you just need to eat more calorie dense food. I bet you're avoiding fats, right? DON'T. They are essential to good health. Add oils to your salads and vegies. Eat avocado, nuts, full fat dairy. Many people when they start out immediately try to choose the lowest calorie options, and it's simply not necessary!

This.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

Great list. Folks are giving you great advice.
  • robindgibson
    Options
    Okay thank you I will give it a try adding oil and more nuts to my salads
  • robindgibson
    Options
    I guess because it's flower tortia that's not healthy and the cheese that's in them. I feel like that's what made me put on my weight was eating them.
    Why would bean burritos keep weight on if you eat at a calorie deficit? Unless of course they take you over what you need to maintain.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I guess because it's flower tortia that's not healthy and the cheese that's in them. I feel like that's what made me put on my weight was eating them.

There's nothing wrong with cheese. I eat it daily and have lost over 80 pounds. There's also nothing wrong with flour tortillas. It's all about a calorie deficit. You can eat bean burritos with cheese and flour tortillas and still lose weight. You just have to weigh and measure your foods, watch your portions, and make sure they fit into your calories for the day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options

FLOUR TORTILLAs are fine. Whole grain tortillas are healthier.
    Cheese is fine.
    BEANS are great for you.
    A whole grain, bean, cheese burrito would be GREAT for someone trying to lose weight.
    In fact, bean burritos were a staple of my weight loss. Once every 1-2 days, in fact.
    I made them
    They included 100% whole wheat tortillas
    roughly 1/2 cup of refried beans
    roughly 1 ounce of cheese

It's likely what made you gain weight was eating more calories than you were burning.
    (assuming no PCOS or other metabolic issue)

Signed: doesn't eat a lot of junk food
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Exactly!!!! So the one thing I did eat while in bed were bean burritos!!!if I added that back in, I won't loose weight now??? But then obviously adding back in the food I was eating my bean burritos then I will reach my calorie goal but then the bean burritos will keep the weight on.
    So from what I've read, I'm guessing the following happened:
    Your injury caused you long term bed rest. This effectively lowered the calories that you needed to maintain whatever weight you were. You continued to eat like the same, but this caused you to gain since bed rest lowered your maintenance level to a point that was lower than you were used to.

So the question you need to ask yourself is what changes did you make to your eating habits when you decided to lose weight? Did you switch to low fat/diet stuff? If so, why not add some of the items you used to eat back in.

The burritos won't keep the weight on.

Relevant questions here would be:

-How much was in those burritos?
    -Were they loaded with cheese and sour cream?
    -How many were you eating? 3? 6?

You can still have a bean burrito or two. Maybe three or more. With cheese or without. Flour tortilla or "healthier" corn or wheat one, doesn't much matter.

The QUANTITY of food you consume determines whether you will lose weight. The QUALITY of the food impacts how hungry you are.

~Lyssa

• robindgibson
    Options
    Well yeah I do that because I was in bed not moving or burning anything. So everyday was calorie in taking and no moving the body just only crunching to bathroom or hence kitchen to eat the food. Yeah maybe I'll throw back in the bean burrito every now and then, then. Thanks friend:)! So the last confession is I was vegetarian and last year out of this 3 year on going injury I decided to add chicken to my diet 1-6 times a month I'll have a piece cut into my salads which my salads are full of all sorts of veggies thought it would be good for healing my injury.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Well yeah I do that because I was in bed not moving or burning anything. So everyday was calorie in taking and no moving the body just only crunching to bathroom or hence kitchen to eat the food. Yeah maybe I'll throw back in the bean burrito every now and then, then. Thanks friend:)! So the last confession is I was vegetarian and last year out of this 3 year on going injury I decided to add chicken to my diet 1-6 times a month I'll have a piece cut into my salads which my salads are full of all sorts of veggies thought it would be good for healing my injury.

Again you answered your own question. You didn't gain because you added chicken (that probably helped). You gained because you eat more calories than you consumed.

This is quite the mystery novel unfolding. What's next?
  • robindgibson
    Options
    Alright thank you! I will have to add that back in then so I can make closer to the the calorie goal. I still have 400 something calorie to eat for the day but I also go to bed sometimes early than most 8:30/9 and so far not feeling the hunger and its 6:08pm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Alright thank you! I will have to add that back in then so I can make closer to the the calorie goal. I still have 400 something calorie to eat for the day but I also go to bed sometimes early than most 8:30/9 and so far not feeling the hunger and its 6:08pm

Add what? It's quite hard to know to what you're replying, me, someone else, someone 30 minutes ago, unless you QUOTE or otherwise refer. If this is all for you, and has nothing to do with what we post, then carry on, and I'll stop replying (since I'm considering the larger MFP community). cheers
  • robindgibson
    Options
    That's about it friend!

Again you answered your own question. You didn't gain because you added chicken (that probably helped). You gained because you eat more calories than you consumed.

This is quite the mystery novel unfolding. What's next?

• robindgibson
    Options
    The bean burrito

Add what?

• robindgibson
    Options
    Ohhhh YUCK!!!! Friend I can't stand sour cream!!!! Not even the smell!!!
  • robindgibson
    Options
    sorry! I am new to this app and not sure exactly how to reply so I just hit the quote button then from there at the bottom of that it says send and that's what I do. Is there a better way to reply? To your question of "add what" I mean I will add the bean burrito back in.

Add what? It's quite hard to know to what you're replying, me, someone else, someone 30 minutes ago, unless you QUOTE or otherwise refer.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: I'm out. Review this thread tomorrow, with a fresh eye.
    The take homes messages:
    Your injury, while it sucked isn't "the cause"
    Burritos not "the cause"
    anything else not "the cause"
    in your case, given what you've told us (in segments, piece meal, thus far) the issue is: more calories in than you burned.
    In you case (again, based on what you've told us, thus far, piece meal) it seems to be just calories in, versus calories out.
    Eat less than sedentary "assuming you're still out with the achilles injury) and you should be fine.

Good luck. cheers