Any good books on this?

Options
any informative books that really helped you guys in your weight loss journey?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The Petite Advantage Diet helped me realise that shorty girls don't have room for all the additional extras in our diet- so it's best to save the calories for the actual meal, rather than all the dressings etc. It was a 'suck it up and stop moaning' kind of book- which I liked.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I really like the book "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole. Instead of focusing on fad diets or certain rules to follow, it talks about getting back to the natural process of listening to our body's hunger and fullness cues. I really like it because it is based on the principle that all foods can fit and that your body knows what it needs. It encourages you to focus on your food when you are eating and pay attention to what your body is telling you. It also explains how your body knows how to make up for mistakes you make in your eating. As someone who has always had an unhealthy relationship with food and my body, I found it really eye opening and encouraging. I would definitely recommend it!
    Here is her website if you would like to check it out!
    https://www.intuitiveeating.com/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It didn't help me, since I only read it after I'd lost most of the weight, but I enjoyed Fat Loss Happens on Monday, since its approach is really similar to what I'd kind of stumbled on myself (and consistent with how I think MFP works), so reading it was pretty motivating to get back to losing those last 5 lbs. (I ignored the workout stuff, though, just because I have a workout plan I like.) It's basically very practical and logical and talks about realistic ways of making productive changes and focusing on what works for you specifically.

Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy is a decent starter nutrition book, although there are things I don't entirely agree with/which may be outdated.

Diet Cults is fun--talks about the various different ways of eating that people get attached to and place so much significance on and proposes a more relaxed way of approaching healthy eating (with a bias toward endurance athletics and the needs of people who do them, since that's the author's background). I found it interesting.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Any books by Geneen Roth.
  • cogsci
    cogsci Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Effortless Healing: 9 Simple Ways to Sidestep Illness, Shed Excess Weight, and Help Your Body Fix Itself [Kindle Edition]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N6PD2ME/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o01_?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Diet Cults is fun--talks about the various different ways of eating that people get attached to and place so much significance on and proposes a more relaxed way of approaching healthy eating (with a bias toward endurance athletics and the needs of people who do them, since that's the author's background). I found it interesting.
    +1
    I'm a self-proclaimed skeptic of pretty much any fad; I took one look at the cover of this book in a library display and knew I had to read it. Highly recommend the sanity in the midst of a food-crazed world!