WHY WON'T YOU FIT INSIDE ME?!

Replies

• superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    edited April 2015
    If you're not hungry, don't eat. It seems silly to eat that much just because it was suggested. If you don't want to gain weight, I would just eat until you're comfortable....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    If you're not hungry, don't eat. It seems silly to eat that much just because it was suggested. If you don't want to gain weight, I would just eat until you're comfortable....

Hunger is not a good indication of whether a person needs to eat. And if you were reading all posts, OP is trying to gain. (hence bulking). Hunger is a better indication of a need to hydrate than to eat, usually.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    When i am in bulking season, i had peanut butter with practically every meal. Make sure you are sticking away from sugar though, although you want to eat calories, remember a calorie is not a calorie and sugar will cause more fat gain then muscle. You should only expect to put on 7-10lbs for bulking, anymore and you're doing it too dirty. It took (with a lot of effort) 5 months (oct-feb) to put on 8lbs.

Also Dymatized Elite XT protein actually tastes really good. Another suggestion i have is eat every 2-3 hrs at most. The more often you eat the easier it is to get the calories in. If you have larger meals only 3x a day, its harder to eat that much food.

Good luck!

Thank you!! This is the kind of response I've been looking for. I'm glad someone understands my frustrations on the "a calorie is not a calorie" deal. A calorie comprised of protein, and one of sugar will have two very opposite effects. And as I mentioned, I gained 5 pounds in FOUR DAYS. I'm going to keep an eye on things, but if it continues to climb up, and wasn't just a fluke/fluctuation, then I think it's easy to say I'm going too dirty. I'm already considering lowering my calories to something more reasonable. I know I have to eat a surplus (between online calculations, and Fitbit, I'm burning about 1700 calories a day minus exercise) but jumping from 1400 calories to 2000 is way too difficult to achieve without being "dirty" about it...

Also @superfox12082 -- I am finding now that I eat more often, I'm hungry more often. The trouble is reaching the amount of calories to create a "surplus" but that's what I was told was essentially the only way to gain muscle (which makes sense-- gaining on a deficit is a *kitten*)

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I have another thread open in regards to "bulking", but tl;dr version: I'm not interested in cramming my face full of anything that packs a caloric punch, and then trying to shed off the excess of fat once I have a desireable amount of muscle. I'm going for what I can only assume is described as a "slow bulk". I don't want a ton of sugar in my diet because it's not healthy to consume a f*-ton of sugar every day. I'm sure I could EASILY pack on the pounds if I was just pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night, but I don't see how that's going to get me towards being stronger the *right* way. It's only going to add on a bunch of unnecessary fat (yes, I realize that SOME fat will be gained with muscle gain, of course) but I don't feel like playing the heavy bulk/super cut game. I'd rather it take longer and do it the right way...

I'm going to be very blunt, here. Your mindset and beliefs about bulking are almost completely wrong.

The amount of fat you put on with the muscle is determined almost entirely of how big a surplus you are eating - not the types of food you're eating. 250-500 Calorie surplus is generally considered a "clean" or "slow" bulk. Since you are concerned about putting on too much fat - go with a 250-300 Calorie surplus.

Also, when bulking, carbs are your friend. You need protein, but generally not as much as you do when trying to lose weight. Provided you are getting (pretty darned close to) all of your protein, fat, and micronutrient needs otherwise, there's nothing wrong with adding the less micronutrient-dense, yet Calorie/carb-dense treats.

You don't need to be "pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night." You do, however, need to eat more. Where those Calories come from - as long as your macros and micros are met - is quite insignificant. Again, go 250-300 Calories over maintenance, continue to strength train, and succeed.
  • TR0berts
    When i am in bulking season, i had peanut butter with practically every meal. Make sure you are sticking away from sugar though, although you want to eat calories, remember a calorie is not a calorie and sugar will cause more fat gain then muscle. You should only expect to put on 7-10lbs for bulking, anymore and you're doing it too dirty. It took (with a lot of effort) 5 months (oct-feb) to put on 8lbs.

Also Dymatized Elite XT protein actually tastes really good. Another suggestion i have is eat every 2-3 hrs at most. The more often you eat the easier it is to get the calories in. If you have larger meals only 3x a day, its harder to eat that much food.

Good luck!

Thank you!! This is the kind of response I've been looking for. I'm glad someone understands my frustrations on the "a calorie is not a calorie" deal.

It's completely incorrect. If you really want to glom onto that post, then you were correct earlier. Bulking is definitely not for you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I have another thread open in regards to "bulking", but tl;dr version: I'm not interested in cramming my face full of anything that packs a caloric punch, and then trying to shed off the excess of fat once I have a desireable amount of muscle. I'm going for what I can only assume is described as a "slow bulk". I don't want a ton of sugar in my diet because it's not healthy to consume a f*-ton of sugar every day. I'm sure I could EASILY pack on the pounds if I was just pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night, but I don't see how that's going to get me towards being stronger the *right* way. It's only going to add on a bunch of unnecessary fat (yes, I realize that SOME fat will be gained with muscle gain, of course) but I don't feel like playing the heavy bulk/super cut game. I'd rather it take longer and do it the right way...

I'm going to be very blunt, here. Your mindset and beliefs about bulking are almost completely wrong.

The amount of fat you put on with the muscle is determined almost entirely of how big a surplus you are eating - not the types of food you're eating. 250-500 Calorie surplus is generally considered a "clean" or "slow" bulk. Since you are concerned about putting on too much fat - go with a 250-300 Calorie surplus.

Also, when bulking, carbs are your friend. You need protein, but generally not as much as you do when trying to lose weight. Provided you are getting (pretty darned close to) all of your protein, fat, and micronutrient needs otherwise, there's nothing wrong with adding the less micronutrient-dense, yet Calorie/carb-dense treats.

You don't need to be "pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night." You do, however, need to eat more. Where those Calories come from - as long as your macros and micros are met - is quite insignificant. Again, go 250-300 Calories over maintenance, continue to strength train, and succeed.

^^ Was just getting ready to type something similar, but I'll just +1 this.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

Good luck!

Thank you!! This is the kind of response I've been looking for. I'm glad someone understands my frustrations on the "a calorie is not a calorie" deal.

It's completely incorrect. If you really want to glom onto that post, then you were correct earlier. Bulking is definitely not for you.

glad you jumped in. It was obvious she's looking for that. She's ignored every post I've put in, so obviously she was looking for one specific thing. Hm.
  • NekoneMeowMixx

I appreciate the bluntness. I guess my views are based on what I've researched on more extreme bulking. I am currently on a 250ish surplus, but even with that I'm really, really struggling to meet my calories (or my macros for that matter!) I understand that assuming you've met your macros that less "nutritional" food is A-okay. And hey, I'm cool with that. But I feel like some people are trying to make the point that "macros ain't nothing but hoes and tricks" where obviously that's bullsh*t. I didn't realize that carbs would help a successful bulk-- that makes sense though. I guess I should just try to focus on complex carbs which will be put to good instead of evil (looking at you, donuts) Currently I'm trying to get 100g+ of protein (age 23, 5 foot 6 inches tall, and now around 137 pounds) would you say that's more than I need for a bulk? No one mentioned protein being more important during a cut, but that makes sense. I appreciate, again, your bluntness, and information. :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Now that I've gotten your attention-- calories.

How in the absolute hell am I supposed to fit 2,000 calories (nutrient-dense calories, that is) inside of my body? I'm used to eating 1,400 so this is a huge difference for me, and I'm getting increasingly frustrated. I'm doing my best to meet my macros (struggling on protein, especially) but I'm having a hard time finding foods that are both nutrient and calorie dense.

I'd say make a snack out of a slice of whole-grain bread with peanut butter and whole milk...you're getting calories AND nutrients with that. If you're struggling that should surely help. I'm also a big pizza fan..sounds like you can fit more of that in. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Ice cream.

^^ This, and peanut butter are always the correct answer.

Unfortunately I'm not able to really enjoy ice cream as much as I would like (my body and milkfats do not get along); I could eat maybe a cup's worth of ice cream before feeling sick to my stomach :c

I don't really see how ice cream is nutritionally dense, though? I mean, is it better to just eat "whatever" so long as it fills up my calorie meter? I'm trying to find foods that are preferably really heavy on protein, as I know that's the biggest macro that plays into muscle growth.

There is no reason to only eat nutrient dense food on any weight managemnet protocol.

Eat some cookies and dairy-free ice cream. And chocolate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Good luck!

@NekoneMeowMixx my thoughts exactly...and you missed my point that you aren't weighing most things if any so I suspect you are eating more than you think and you never answered about the days you are at 1k calories....on a bulk?

• ana3067
    @RedRockChic -- Very valid point. And I do think that perhaps I should drop it down to 1700 or so to make this all less overwhelming. I have no problem eating food- I love food, haha. I just have a hard time eating food that will get me to my goals.

@randomtai -- Will do! Thanks for the suggestion! :D

@SezxyStef -- I have another thread open in regards to "bulking", but tl;dr version: I'm not interested in cramming my face full of anything that packs a caloric punch, and then trying to shed off the excess of fat once I have a desireable amount of muscle. I'm going for what I can only assume is described as a "slow bulk". I don't want a ton of sugar in my diet because it's not healthy to consume a f*-ton of sugar every day. I'm sure I could EASILY pack on the pounds if I was just pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night, but I don't see how that's going to get me towards being stronger the *right* way. It's only going to add on a bunch of unnecessary fat (yes, I realize that SOME fat will be gained with muscle gain, of course) but I don't feel like playing the heavy bulk/super cut game. I'd rather it take longer and do it the right way...

The last paragraph: thajt's not how it works. It's all about calories. As long as you eat at least 100g of protein every day then it doesn't matter where your calories come from if you stay within your calorie needs. You won't gain more fat because you eat pizza instead of cauliflower unless you also eat an extra 1000 calories every day. Which would lead to fat gain if those thousand calories came from cauliflower.

If that's how it worked then I'd not be 154lbs today after having eaten 5 cookies in the last 2 days. 6th cookie today with lunch planned.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    Clearly I'm just horribly ill-informed about what bulking truly is. I apologize for that, and hence, for my ignorance. @mccindy72 , I'm not trying to ignore anything that you're saying. I just don't understand why calories are more important than macros. (I mean, if eating high calorie, nutritionally-void foods will help me get to my goal, then sure, I've got a ton of food I'd love to shovel down. And I'm sure I could meet my calorie goals easier!

I'm not looking to do a "dirty" bulk, is what I'm getting at.... I'm trying to correct what I've obviously been incorrectly taught, not attack anyone/get attacked. I just don't see how ho-hos and cupcakes will fuel a workout better than a protein shake, or something complex-carb heavy. (Thus my confusion as to why "macros don't matter"

I apologize for being defensive, but understand I'm embarassingly new to this, and it's overwhelming/frustrating so hence my hesitation... v.v
  • ana3067

Good luck!

Nope. Reason you'll gain 8lbs instead of 20lbs in 5 months is based on the amount of extra calories you consume. Smaller surplus is generally considered more ideal for minimizing fat gains.

I'm eager to start my first bulk late this year, and I will be eating plenty of sugar. Which I'm already doing now.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    no one here said macros aren't important.

• TR0berts

I appreciate the bluntness. I guess my views are based on what I've researched on more extreme bulking. I am currently on a 250ish surplus, but even with that I'm really, really struggling to meet my calories (or my macros for that matter!) I understand that assuming you've met your macros that less "nutritional" food is A-okay. And hey, I'm cool with that. But I feel like some people are trying to make the point that "macros ain't nothing but hoes and tricks" where obviously that's bullsh*t. I didn't realize that carbs would help a successful bulk-- that makes sense though. I guess I should just try to focus on complex carbs which will be put to good instead of evil (looking at you, donuts) Currently I'm trying to get 100g+ of protein (age 23, 5 foot 6 inches tall, and now around 137 pounds) would you say that's more than I need for a bulk? No one mentioned protein being more important during a cut, but that makes sense. I appreciate, again, your bluntness, and information. :)

Actually, a donut would likely be good for you - especially 45-60 minutes before your workout.

Depending on your BF%, 100 or so grams of protein is probably good. You say you weigh 137 pounds, so I'm going to guess (as a woman trying to bulk) you are somewhere around 20% BF? Which means about 105-110 lb of LBM - so I'd try to get in 110 g protein (minimum, but you don't need to go crazy). I took a brief look at your diary, and it appears that you're getting in (for the few days I looked) over 100g of protein, but leaving a few hundred Calories on the table. As such, more or less, you can probably fill in those extra Calories with whatever you want.
  • ana3067

Good luck!

Thank you!! This is the kind of response I've been looking for. I'm glad someone understands my frustrations on the "a calorie is not a calorie" deal. A calorie comprised of protein, and one of sugar will have two very opposite effects. And as I mentioned, I gained 5 pounds in FOUR DAYS. I'm going to keep an eye on things, but if it continues to climb up, and wasn't just a fluke/fluctuation, then I think it's easy to say I'm going too dirty. I'm already considering lowering my calories to something more reasonable. I know I have to eat a surplus (between online calculations, and Fitbit, I'm burning about 1700 calories a day minus exercise) but jumping from 1400 calories to 2000 is way too difficult to achieve without being "dirty" about it...

Also @superfox12082 -- I am finding now that I eat more often, I'm hungry more often. The trouble is reaching the amount of calories to create a "surplus" but that's what I was told was essentially the only way to gain muscle (which makes sense-- gaining on a deficit is a *kitten*)

giphy.gif
  • TR0berts
    I just don't see how ho-hos and cupcakes will fuel a workout better than a protein shake, or something complex-carb heavy.

That's because simple carbs are (typically) utilized more quickly than complex carbs, fats, and proteins. As such, simple carbs before a workout literally give you more energy for you to put into your workout.
  • TR0berts
    Here's a sticky from the Gaining Weight forum. Why is it a sticky? Because it has some really good information and a good link.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1