Protein

Hi

Nearly every day, when I look at my nutrition when I complete my diary, I am invariably over on my protein allowance.

How much does this really matter?

I tend to focus on overall calories than protein, carbs and fat.

Thx

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Like - how much over? If you're over so far that it's causing you to seriously under-consume your other macros, then yeah I'd probably tweak your diet a bit.

If it's a few grams, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    edited April 2015

[th][/th]
    [th]Calories[/th]
    [th]Carbs[/th]
    [th]Fat[/th]
    [th]Sodium[/th]
    [th]Sugar[/th]
    [th][/th]

Totals

Daily Goal

Remaining

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    10 grms over I wouldn't sweat it...

Though if you don't mind my asking...how did you come up with those goals? Your calorie goal seems awfully low for a male (though I do see you have a medical condition per your profile, not sure how/if that affects you). Protein goal seems awfully low as well.

As a frame of reference, I'm about the same age as you and am losing weight steadily eating about 1800 cal a day, and my protein goal is around 120 g.
  • GrahamUK72
    Thanks for the reply

The goals were set for me by MFP. I just accepted the defaults. I did think 1,500 seemed low too so I just exercise more so I can eat more :)
  • Mechanised
    Mechanised Posts: 10
    edited April 2015
    These programs give you an estimate, overall. Your digestive capabilities, daily activities, biological clock and many more affect your daily absorbtion. You can calculate an estimate (what you require to digest) by generic formulations that you can find through web and combine it with MFP list to see where you are.

Try to learn how your body reacts to what and how and dont sweat too much about what the program says. This is, as far as I observed it in a day =), a great program to take notes on your nutrition but not a good guide. Best guide you csn find is yourself.
  • GrahamUK72
    Mechanised thanks for your reply but I don't understand it. Not sure what you mean buddy.

Thx
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    If you are going to go over on anything, protein is definitely a good thing to go over with. Especially if you are exercising. Protein is a building block for your muscles.
  • GrahamUK72
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    If you are going to go over on anything, protein is definitely a good thing to go over with. Especially if you are exercising. Protein is a building block for your muscles.

Thanks for that. I assumed it would be OK to go over on protein. I do exercise every day, although I may skip it today. I am knackered.

I do mostly go over on carbs too, but rarely fat.

My sodium levels I try and keep low as it can affect my health quite badly. It reacts badly with my medication.
  • mccindy72

Thanks for that. I assumed it would be OK to go over on protein. I do exercise every day, although I may skip it today. I am knackered.

I do mostly go over on carbs too, but rarely fat.

My sodium levels I try and keep low as it can affect my health quite badly. It reacts badly with my medication.

Don't be afraid of fats either, they really do get a bad rap. Your body needs them, especially for healthy digestion. Just keep a good balance of monounsaturated to saturated, and you're fine. Macro balance is important. Carbs are basically sugars.

Mainly, don't overthink things. Keep your sodium in check, since you know that's a health risk for you personally, and as long as you are meeting your calorie goals, all is well.
  • GrahamUK72
    Don't be afraid of fats either, they really do get a bad rap. Your body needs them, especially for healthy digestion.

Yeh I am aware of the fats thing, and I am not scared of them :). Hell, you should see the stuff I've eaten this week. Went away for the weekend so it was three days of bad foods :)

Enjoyable but it's a a treat.

I am glad to be back on track. I focus on the calories and sodium rather than anything else. I try and ensure I have spare calories at the end of the day but I am trying to do that by exercising too.

Public holiday here in the UK tomorrow and Monday, so I've booked extra PT sessions at the gym. That's Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon booked up with my PT

:)

• SuperC_sa
    SuperC_sa Posts: 48 Member
    If you are using MFP protein setting they are notoriously low..
    Dont sweat it. If you under your calories you are good.
    I feel if Im over on protein thats never a bad thing..
  • GrahamUK72
    SuperC_sa wrote: »
    If you are using MFP protein setting they are notoriously low..
    Dont sweat it. If you under your calories you are good.
    I feel if Im over on protein thats never a bad thing..

Thank you. I've not really paid the macros that much attention before, so today was really my first real look at them, so figured I would ask
  • mccindy72
    Don't be afraid of fats either, they really do get a bad rap. Your body needs them, especially for healthy digestion.

Yeh I am aware of the fats thing, and I am not scared of them :). Hell, you should see the stuff I've eaten this week. Went away for the weekend so it was three days of bad foods :)

Enjoyable but it's a a treat.

I am glad to be back on track. I focus on the calories and sodium rather than anything else. I try and ensure I have spare calories at the end of the day but I am trying to do that by exercising too.

Public holiday here in the UK tomorrow and Monday, so I've booked extra PT sessions at the gym. That's Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon booked up with my PT

:)

sounds like you are on the right track. :wink: