Salad Dressings

Options
2»

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Kraft raspberry vinaigrette lite. No artificial sweeteners and a 32g serving is only 50 calories.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I primarily use oil and vinegar but I do not mix dressing in advance. I keep my olive oil in a spray bottle. I spray olive oil on my salad (I put a small layer in the bowl, spritz and then add another layer and spritz). I have counted out the number of spritzes I use on my salad and then measured it and it equates to just under a tablespoon whereas if you premixed the dressing, you would likely end up with a lot more oil and calories (even though they are good fat calories). Anyway, I digress ...

After I spritz the olive oil, I splash some vinegar on the salad (I have probably 5-8 different flavors that I choose from, depending on mood :) Next, I will sprinkle some herbs and seasonings on top (check out the Bacon and Chive season from McCormicks Perfect Pinch line) ... to cut down on the acidity of the vinegar, I drizzle a little honey on top of the salad and then I toss in the bowl to mix it up. Sometimes, I will grate some fresh parmesan cheese on top or freshly grated sharp cheddar.

It seems like quite the production but it only takes a few minutes. The best part is you can customize flavors depending on your mood. Sometimes, I will use Rosemary infused olive oil and pair it with Balsamic vinegar and sprinkle some McCormick's Sweet Herb and Onion seasoning. Another tasty offering is olive oil with white wine vinegar and Garlic and Herb seasoning.

Those bottled vinaigrette dressings often have other ingredients like soybean or cottonseed oils that are not good for you. Dressing your own salad means you control everything.
  • likeabird70
    likeabird70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Waldenfarms.com .....zero calorie salad dressings and more...just discovered yesterday. Jewel Osco is carrying them and other health stores. I bought their bacon ranch dressing yesterday, kinda thin, but for zero calories I am not complaining. ok taste, I guess...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ill have to look for the bolthouse and try it.

im a ranch girl (hidden valley is my fave, but the aldi's version is pretty close) - i do get the light (not non fat though). I also like the raspberry vinegrettes and poppyseed dressings.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am lazy, so I just sprinkle my salads with 1 tsp hemp seed oil and then splash lemon juice and Bragg's apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I do 1 tsp sesame oil instead of hemp.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found that dressings got old sitting in our fridge, just being a couple of empty nesters. So I got myself one of these:
    23489-vt.jpg
    I mix my own and it's a lot fresher.
  • jan092284
    jan092284 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    I make my own low cal ranch dressing and it's pretty delicious. 1.25 cup low fat buttermilk, 3/4 cup light Helmann's mayo, and a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix. 470 calories for the entire 2 cups, or 60 calories per 1/4 cup.

I'm not sure that calorie count is right. There's over 400 calories just in that mayo. Thought it sounded good so I put it in the recipe builder.